This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
fusc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Riceville
State: TN

My nightmare with Addco sway bars....

Post by fusc »

Just sharing my story, do with the info what you will.

I bought an rear Addco sway bar from ebay for my '65 and it got drop shipped straight from Addco. I went to install it and found the eyes about 2 inches to far in board. Called them up and dealt with a guy named John Wright. He was puzzled how it was off but offered to teak the arms out to what was needed if I was OK with that, I was. Now keep in mind, when it showed, it wasn't bent (damaged) it was made wrong. So now I go to install it again and the instruction say to face the arms towards the rear, which makes sense to me and the arms aren't long enough and the mount for the connecting link falls on the slope of the frame for axle clearance and worse yet, it falls exactly where a factory rivet for a cross member it. No way around this but to mount it backwards, or forwards, depending on your point of view. Which still falls on the slope of the frame loop. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't meant for my truck at all.

Now while this is going on, I designed my own mounts for a custom front sway bar and contacted John Wright with my measurements and they would bend me a custom bar and would take 2 weeks. I shoot him an email with a drawing with dimensions and my cell phone number to call me for my credit card info because I didn't want to put it in an email and I was going to be away for 1 1/2 weeks. After returning home and realizing I never got called, I called him. Song and dance, I'm sorry and now he as my info. After waiting another month, I call him 3 times over that week, left voice mails, first two were nice, the third was a bit terse. After that one he emails me, not a call, saying he threw his back out and has been out of work for the past 2 weeks and cant lift anything. Is he a one man operation who does everything from sales to manufacturing??? Nobody else makes anything there??? Not to mention I should have already had this before he threw his back out if he was honest about the lead time. Needless to say, I am done with them and have moved on to another option. And will never give another penny to Addco.

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Re: My nightmare with Addco sway bars....

Post by Roxyflash »

Not sure if this will help you but heres a Hellwig rear sway bar on my 1970 d 100

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: El Centro (of nowhere)
State: CA

Post by DavidWymore »

I'm going to see if I can retrofit one of the anti sway bars I have laying around from other projects eventually. Have always taken them off my 4x4s to promote suspension articulation.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

Dude, l got a chebby buddy with a fab shop doing Harley stuff. Where it gets stupid is if someone paid in advance their job got pushed back for one that would bring more money to finish paying the bills. Killer fabricator but could not quote a job that didn't hand him A$$.

I love the guy like a brother and feel a lot less bad energy in the bike community as the left over jobs get done. He has a 54 GMC stashed next to my shop for the period of 15 months and the agreement with my wife was for two months. When the wife has her can full it's going to his shop if he is ready or not.

Moral: watch out for one horse shows.

Short story long- when we shared this shop I parted a 68 W200 crew that had a nice rear sway bar and I think it's still there. PM me if you want me to check on it.

Don