thembsnyder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Decherd
State: TN

Frame/Body Swap Opinions

Post by thembsnyder »

Guys and Gals,

I know that this subject has been approached a couple times and I have looked at some of the previous "frame swap" posts.

This is what I pose to all you swepty heads out there.

I want to go diesel on my 1964 D200 (converted to W). I really think that the easiest way for me to go is to do a body swap onto something like a 2500 ext cab Cummins.

What I am looking for is... Would this vehicle be the best option to fit the 146" wheel base that I have???

Discuss!!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Frame/Body Swap Opinions

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

thembsnyder wrote:... I really think that the easiest way for me to go is to do a body swap onto something like a 2500 ext cab Cummins....
Easiest????
Nothing easy about any way to go!

1965 W200 Cummins Project:
http://dodgesweptline.org/phorum/read.p ... #msg-11534

thembsnyder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thembsnyder »

Sorry I kind of left myself open for that one..."easiest" is a relative term. It would be more "effective" for me to do a body swap..how is that??

Also, would it be more efficient for space in the engine bay to go with a gas or diesel engine?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

It has been done both ways, a frame swap and swapping all the newer components to the old frame. There is a lot of information here about what is required for each one.

JimBobTheDancingBear
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Glenpool
State: OK

Post by JimBobTheDancingBear »

You could buy all if the parts to make your D200 a W200. There are lots of parts trucks without titles to be had for a decent price.

thembsnyder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thembsnyder »

I already have a D200 converted to a W200. I am unsure if it was an upgrade or a frame/body swap.

This is just something that I have been considering, probably never gonna happen.

I was just more wondering what vehicles would make the best candidates for a frame/body swap for a 1964 D200(W) Crew Cab.

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by EarlKann »

IMO, this depends on your skill & fabrication ability, or willingness to pay big $$$$ to a shop. You will have to alter the wheelbase somehow, either shortening (easier) or lengthening the frame, or moving the suspension mounts. I did a body swap of a 73 Ford Courier body onto an 83 Toyota 4x4 chassis. I was able to adjust the cab placement so the front axle lined up with the wheel wells, and then I cut off and moved the leaf spring mounting points on the rear to fit the bed. I did have to lengthen the frame a little bit as well. If you can measure, cut and weld all of this is pretty easy. I did it all with a 110V wire feed MIG.