Looks like I'm getting an International

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Looks like I'm getting an International

Post by soopernaut »

There were quite a few bidders in the last 20 minutes but they were bidding in $10.00 intervals. They also didn't wait long enough to bid. I set my bid up at 1 minute to go for $1201 and tried to confirmed it with 5 seconds left. My finger was shaking and I almost thought I was going to miss it but I got it.

I plan to convert it to 2 wheel drive and a modern fuel injected engine w/overdrive auto. I will start measuring once I get it home and see the best route to achieve my goals. I feel more ambitious about this than my Sweptline project but we'll see how long that lasts. :lol:
Attachments
Scout ad.JPG

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Baileyville
State: KS

Re: Looks like I'm getting an International

Post by facechicken »

Nice... :Thumbsup

MOPAR70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pleasant Hill
State: MO

Post by MOPAR70 »

Sweet! Congrats :clap

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Great. :banghead. So if you start working on this truck now, who is gonna post all the craigslist sweptys for us?!? :lol:

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

mopardwh wrote:Great. :banghead. So if you start working on this truck now, who is gonna post all the craigslist sweptys for us?!? :lol:
Well, I post a lot from work so the Scout probably won't be competing with craigslist time. Then again, I only work 7 days every 2 weeks so it might.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Very cool buy! Congratulations on that one! Those old Scouts are really neat! I recommend painting it the International RED with a white top. My Uncle Jim had one that he bought new... and a friend of mine had a later model Scout II but I didn't like his as much.

Jim

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Jims68 wrote:I recommend painting it the International RED with a white top.
I'm not a fan of Red vehicles for some reason.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I just joined that site. I wanted to send a PM to someone but I need 15 posts before I can do that. :moom Oops, I guess it is Binder Bulletin, not Binder Planet.

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Those are fun congrats :Thumbsup

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Post by PowerMan »

Those scouts are sweet. My buddy just bought a '64 Scout 80. Has the little 152 inline 4. Trying to take it out four wheelin one of these weekends.
Looks like you have a good project :Thumbsup

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

Welcome to another addiction. :lol: I got my first Scout about 10 years ago now, in trade for a clapped out motorhome. Addicted ever since. The factory built 2WD Scouts (yes they made them) were done by welding the 4WD steering knuckles onto the ends of a single piece of tube. I'm not sure why you would want to convert one of the world's best off road vehicles to 2WD, but I also think that they look good slammed (I've seen a couple of early Scout 80's done that way). Lots of ways to go modern drivetrain. I just went with a Dodge 360/727 into my Scout 2. Great swap I think. Very easy really, even if you are trying to keep the 4WD. For a 2WD driver I'd suggest a V6. I know a couple of guys with Vortec V6 Chevys in them and they seem to do just fine.

Another good site is IH Only North. They have a forum as well as sell parts and do restorations and/or fab work. They're out of central California and are great guys that are really into their cornbinders. :Thumbsup I'm on their site, the Binder Planet (formerly Binder Bulletin) and the Just IH site as Tonka Toy. One thing you may need is a reprint of the factory service manual. You can find them at Binder Books' website. Not cheap. but these are perfect copies from original complete volumes of the factory books. Exhaustive. Be glad you don't have the newer TravelAll though, that book is 1200 pages IIRC!!!

Here's mine:

:usa

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

OregonDodgeboy wrote: I'm not sure why you would want to convert one of the world's best off road vehicles to 2WD, but I also think that they look good slammed (I've seen a couple of early Scout 80's done that way).
I guess I'm going for something more like this.

They may be great for offroading, but in my past experience, offroading destroys vehicles. You may be able to replace all the body panels on your Scout II but the early Scouts don't have as much aftermarket support (sounds familiar when you have a Sweptline project). I really don't do any offroading anymore and the only time I use 4wd is to get in my driveway. I decided to eliminate it to save weight and run a selectable locker in the rear.

I'm surprised there aren't more 2wd Scouts out there since the Postal Service had a bunch of them. I missed out on a LHD 2wd Scout but I think I did better in the end with this one.

I'll post some pictures when I get it home.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Well I spent Yesterday getting this thing home. It is worse than it looks but they usually are. I will have to strip some paint and see if it worth rebuilding or resell/part it out.

It was hell getting it off the trailer so before I buy another non-running vehicle I want an electric winch and some kind of anchor on the back wall of the garage. It would not roll, probably due to the flat tires, so I had to use ratchet straps but had nothing in my garage to attach them to. I ended up attaching them to the back of the trailer

I saw this 71 W300 on the way home.

Normally my pictures are too large to attach here. I wonder if Scott increased the allowable size? :thinking
Attachments
DSC00754.JPG
DSC00755.JPG
DSC00756.JPG
DSC00757.JPG
DSC00758.JPG

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

That W300 is awesome!!! :clap

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

That looks like a decent body to start with. You may have rusted floors, but there doesn't appear to be rust through in the rockers and fender lips. As bad as you may think it is, I've seen guys start with much worse. The silver Scout you pictured is similar to several I've seen. I've been curious if those early Scouts would swap onto a more modern chassis, like an S-10, Ranger, Nissan, etc. If you had something with the right wheelbase, and the floors in your Scout were already bad, then cut them out, lower the body onto the frame, and build the floor to bridge the gap. I know that it's more involved that it sounds, but the advantage is in simplifying repairs. Especially if you have to take it to a shop.

My comment about not ditching the 4wd was merely thinking towards a daily driver in areas where winters get harsh. Though 4wd isn't the end all and be all of conquering the commute in bad weather, it can sure be nice sometimes. Not that you have to go out and beat it down a trail because it's 4wd. Once my W200 and Scout 2 are done, they will never intentionally get taken down trails where body carnage may result. But that won't keep me from taking them out on a trail occasionally.

Out where I've lived, I've seen maybe one postal Scout, mainly the little Joops or the short vans. I think that the Scouts were used in areas of harsher climates, and thusly went away quickly due to rust issues. IH'ers kid about how some Scouts seem to have came from the factory with rust-through. But from the looks of it right now, your Scout seems like a good save. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Are you starting a thread anywhere on an IH board? I'd love to follow it.

The W300 is very cool! I like the fuel tanks that replace the cab steps too. No doubt it's set up for portable welding and such. Is it used a lot, or do you know?

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham
State: WA

Post by Seff »

Doesnt look to bad, there is one bout 5 miles away from me. the guy wants 5K for it. but there are some around like that silver one, just sitting out in a field. i wonder if a newer jeep Cherokee frame would work?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

OregonDodgeboy wrote:That looks like a decent body to start with. You may have rusted floors, but there doesn't appear to be rust through in the rockers and fender lips. As bad as you may think it is, I've seen guys start with much worse. The silver Scout you pictured is similar to several I've seen. I've been curious if those early Scouts would swap onto a more modern chassis, like an S-10, Ranger, Nissan, etc. If you had something with the right wheelbase, and the floors in your Scout were already bad, then cut them out, lower the body onto the frame, and build the floor to bridge the gap. .

I can't wait to see how this turns out. Are you starting a thread anywhere on an IH board? I'd love to follow it.

The W300 is very cool! I like the fuel tanks that replace the cab steps too. No doubt it's set up for portable welding and such. Is it used a lot, or do you know?
The wheelbase is the same as a 2 door S-Blazer or 2 door Explorer. Finding a 2wd version of these is difficult in the Midwest since almost all of them sold here were 4wd. I do know a guy who had a S-Blazer frame when I went to look at a Scout he had for sale. That was my plan but after looking at the original frame it looks so nice and is completely boxed. The original frame sits so low in the center though, so installing IFS into it may cause clearance issues. The front of the frame is about 14 inches higher than the area under the cab.

At this point I don't think I'm going to keep it. The body is far worse than it looks but still more solid than many. Pretty much every single item on the truck needs work. If the body was better I'd consider it. The truck has been repainted 2 times and I've found some areas of Bondo. I was going to start stripping paint but I don't think I'll bother. The driver's side behind the door seems to be completly redone and not well. The passenger side seems to be all original metal except where they filled the gas filler hole.

I think I'll look for something else.

The W300 is currently used as a mobile welding truck. He said he doesn't go too far with it because it needs brakes. He said he might move the welding equipment to his other truck and restore this one.
Seff wrote: i wonder if a newer jeep Cherokee frame would work?
A newer Cherokee doesn't have a frame. It would be Unibody.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

My '71 Travelall with the 354" Perkins Diesel engine. I've owned this for one year, and am the fourth owner. Always a Texas truck until last April:

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Now I'm thinking of keeping it. I did remove some paint and it will need some work but it isn't a total rust bucket.

I plan on doing this for the suspension. It bolts right in. Now I just need to find one. :banghead

http://www.justinternationals.org/Binde ... php?t=8379

I'm still not sure what engine I want to run or whether to buy a remanufactured engine vs. an engine that is just pulled out of a vehicle.