Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Anybody working on their slant 6?

Post by Hewy »

Seems a lot of folks jerk out the sixes and replace them with
larger 318, 383 etc, I can understand that but there are a lot of the
slants doing just fine I'm sure. :thinking
I know there is not the available hot rod stuff like the 318s. Those 6 slugs can scream
when done right.
Stock or juiced up anybody got em and will keep them in your swepty ?
So what'cha workin on ? :clap

polyman64
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Billings
State: MT

Re: Anybody working on their slant 6?

Post by polyman64 »

I plan on doing a mild build on my slant, i've done it before in a 64 Belvedere. Clifford Performance makes cams headers and manifolds for the slant, Offenhouser also makes manifolds. There is actually quite a bit you can do to the leaning tower of power and still rfetain reliability and economy. Bob A

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Hey Hewy, I like the little 170 in my '61. Original motor. Put new main ,rod bearings ,timing set ,seals,rebuilt the 1 barrel carb. pretty good little engine. The '67 shorty I just bought has the 225 with later model head and 2 barrel intake w/carter bbd. The carb.needs some work but when I had it fired up, sounded pretty solid. Put the pertronix unit in the '61 and doing the same with the '67. The slants are growing on me.Still like the growl of a meaty v8, but the slants hold their own.Chris.

F6866
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Morgantown, WV

Post by F6866 »

1971 Utiline, original bottom end with about 118,000 on it, probably too much unleaded gas and some valves were bad, so I put on a peanut head, HEI ignition, and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust and it runs like a top. I would like to rebuild it with about 8.8 static compression and add a 2bbl.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Txas2step »

F6866 wrote:1971 Utiline, original bottom end with about 118,000 on it, probably too much unleaded gas and some valves were bad, so I put on a peanut head, HEI ignition, and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust and it runs like a top. I would like to rebuild it with about 8.8 static compression and add a 2bbl.
From what I've read, there is no scientific proof that unleaded gas has any effect on older engine valves. supposedly the low melting point of the lead in gas has no attributable protective value to the valves. Anybody ?

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

Txas2step wrote:
F6866 wrote:1971 Utiline, original bottom end with about 118,000 on it, probably too much unleaded gas and some valves were bad, so I put on a peanut head, HEI ignition, and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust and it runs like a top. I would like to rebuild it with about 8.8 static compression and add a 2bbl.
From what I've read, there is no scientific proof that unleaded gas has any effect on older engine valves. supposedly the low melting point of the lead in gas has no attributable protective value to the valves. Anybody ?
I also have read that about lead. There appears to be more concern regarding the oil.
I have a new 350 crate motor for my... ahemmm.... other brand I'm restoring, and all sources including
GM, recommend at least at start up using break-in oil with higher lead content. There mostly talking
about the cam and bearings.So logic tells me this type would be better for older engines.
Diesel engine Oil ?? :study Also the slant six guys on their forum, seem to lean toward single grade oils like

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Ive got the seats out of a poly, sitting on my desk, that prove unleaded gas melts them away. TOTALLY gone!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Hewy wrote:
Txas2step wrote:
I also have read that about lead. There appears to be more concern regarding the oil.
I have a new 350 crate motor for my... ahemmm.... other brand I'm restoring, and all sources including
GM, recommend at least at start up using break-in oil with higher lead content. There mostly talking
about the cam and bearings.So logic tells me this type would be better for older engines.
Diesel engine Oil ?? :study Also the slant six guys on their forum, seem to lean toward single grade oils like
This is one of my customers....
http://www.lesfrickshun.com
I run his engine oil in my old engines. :Thumbsup
John

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

Ya Zinc :banghead I forgot which substance we were talking about :pale
Anyway gas, oil, timing heat all play into the changes we are aware of for the
older engines and it's not new remember the "air injection" days ? that was fun.

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Ive got the seats out of a poly, sitting on my desk, that prove unleaded gas melts them away. TOTALLY gone!
How do the valve seats look ??

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Txas2step »

Hewy, I'll let you know how the seats in the '61 look if they burn up from the unleaded fuel I use...may take awhile since i don't drive it that much,no heavy loads, high rpm's and low temp's...all that are attributible to valve seat failure.Chris.
Last edited by Txas2step on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F6866
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Morgantown, WV

Post by F6866 »

Based on the look of my exhaust valve seats I choose to believe that unleaded gas is harmful to non hardened valve seats.

As for the oil if you do a search on slantsix.org there is a section and a formula on using GM EOS to bring the zddp level in modern oil to the level needed in flat tappet vehicles.

demulsion
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bremerton
State: WA

Post by demulsion »

I hopped up a slant six, when most would have replaced it with a V8...but it's not in a swepty. Sure makes for a lot of fun in my '76 Dart, though.
polyman64 wrote:Clifford Performance makes cams headers and manifolds for the slant.
I have two words about that vendor: Run Away.

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

demulsion wrote:I hopped up a slant six, when most would have replaced it with a V8...but it's not in a swepty. Sure makes for a lot of fun in my '76 Dart, though.
polyman64 wrote:Clifford Performance makes cams headers and manifolds for the slant.
I have two words about that vendor: Run Away.
Got the same vender cautions from the slant 6 forum guys. Stay away.

mwool
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: benjamin
State: UT

Post by mwool »

getting read to put a six back in my 61 after we had fun with a built 440 in it decided to put 440 in a 70 duster my cousin has love the little sixs run for ever and get good milage truck has spent its life on the farm hauling hay and grain just keeps on ticking

67fargo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Calgary
State: Foreign

Post by 67fargo »

Hey there
I've got the 225 with a three on the tree in my 67 and I'm sticking with it.I have a buddy with a 68 roadrunner 4 gear with a 383 and he really wants me to go bigger but I'm not planning on winning any races so I'm keeping it original.The slants look pretty cool when u add mods to them.I plan on doing a clifford intake,550cfmcarb,cam,and headers with dual exhaust.Just had the head rebuilt and shaved for better compression.I'm thinking it should put out around 225-250 hp when done.Better than the 140 it has now. Have fun!!

PDQAUTO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: CLAYTON
State: NC

Post by PDQAUTO »

I have a 67 with the 225 fresh rebuild shaved head offey intake with 2 1 barrel carters and a dual exhaust on a stock manifold saving to grt dutra dual exhaust set up.Swapped the three speed for the a833 with overdrive for gas milage purposes plan on making it a daily driver. Still in the shop having the exhaust run but it was a fun drive without the exhaust(yes drove it for a week with no exhaust) A bit loud but fun.was supposed to get it back a week ago but i got sick and mechanic went to new orleans and is just finnishing up either today or tommorrow so i should have it back for the weekend.Can not wait .will post pics when i get it back.

PDQAUTO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: CLAYTON
State: NC

Post by PDQAUTO »