Who's blown up a 318 or any other mopar smallblock?

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
67d200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Who's blown up a 318 or any other mopar smallblock?

Post by 67d200 »

Just wanted to hear some stories, I was looking on youtube and couldn't find any videos or anything. You can find chevys and ford throwin rods into different zip codes all day on there. So maybe the Mopar guys just don't care to blow up an engine on camera? Intentionally or not?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Who's blown up a 318 or any other mopar smallblock?

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

u mean like this?
Attachments
IM006110.JPG

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I drove a 67 coronet with a destroyed main bearing for a while. Sounded like elves beating on the floor with hammers.

67d200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67d200 »

DANG! that's what I wanted to see, what did you do to that thing?

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Well it is hard to come by. Although when I got my license in 98, it didn't stop me from spinning a bearing in my 72 318 Charger. The car give me so much trouble, although I put through the ringer. Anyway, it blew the upper radiator hose on the way to see Mega-Death at Red Rocks. Some duck tape and a soda can made me a repair that got me to the concert feeling like a 16 year old Macgyver. :lol: Well needless to say, limping home responsibly wasn't an option. Rodded and raced like normal only to find that my overheated repair left me with a hefty knock. So at that point I just tried to make it somewhere. Somehow I managed to make it to my buddies by literally coasting down his street after the teen had seized.

The next day I bought and drove an old fury cop car to my buddies. Pulled up hood to hood and swapped in a 360 right there. His mom showed up on her lunch hour when the engine was in the air. I thought she was gonna kill us! She made it clear she was having me towed and calling the cops when she came back. So in a rush, we put the old 318 in the back seat of the fury. Hooked a chain to the back of the newly transplanted charger and pulled the fury to it's new home in a ditch 2 miles away. :joker

67d200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67d200 »

HA! That's a good story for sure. I like the part about the ditch!

greenmachine318
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Tucson
State: AZ

Post by greenmachine318 »

I had a 68 ute with a 318. Drove it up the mountain to go shooting and its all dirt road really bad when it rains. Anyway I was coming down the mountain after having the truck running and beating on it for about an hour of drifting the dirt roads and hitting every bump in the road we got to the bottom of the mountain hit the wash with running water and blew the crankcase almost in half. The bearings were so scored they melted to the main caps bent 3 rods and had a grove in the cylinder wall almost and 1/8in. So we pulled the drive shaft towed it home bought a 318 from a junkyard out of a satellite wagon and the next day swapped it out and then sold the truck.

67d200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67d200 »

Man that's cool you were gettin sideways with it. :Thumbsup :lol: I used to be able to do it on asphalt with my old tradesman, scared to do it in the sweptline

tinbasher
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cache Creek

Post by tinbasher »

catastrophic connecting rod failure on a 360, should have taken pics.

the woman i was living with at the time drove like a granny... blew up two motors. connecting rod failure in 360 dodge and 460 lincoln, the lincoln rod went out the side of the block. to this day i have no idea how she did it.

personally, i have been trashing engines my whole life, never blown one up. :thinking

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

here is a 340 crank I broke while leading by a half a straightaway. No more cast cranks for me.

here is a 360 I kicked a rod out on. No more stock rods.

here is a 340 I broke a rod bolt on.

Thats all I have readily available, I know how to blow up stuff.

thedodgeman69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno
State: NV

Post by thedodgeman69 »

I bought a 79 trailduster that had a knock. While driving it home I mashed my foot to the floor. About 20 seconds later, it makes a loud bang. That was all she wrote. Another time I was ridding with my buddy in his 67 D200 with a 318. He had taken a 4 bbl intake from a 360 and put it in his 318. We drove to town about 30 miles. We were on our way back and I realized I was gona be late for work, so my buddy mashed on the gas pedal. About 5m later the engine started making a weird noise. Don't forget we are goin 90 down the road. Then it really started screaming. I told him to shut it off and we coasted to the side of the road. I pulled the dig stick. Not a drop of oil was on it. The engine knocked after that. So I was late for work, and my buddy got towed back by a Toyota.

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Post by HEtkind »

I haven't destoyed a MOPAR engine yet, that wasn't rebuildable. Normally, on mine, I rebuild them when they start making a little bearing noise OR they start REALLY using oil.

On the other hand, those destroyed cranks remind me of my days working on International School buses. A 345 V-8 in a 18,000 pound bus needs to work hard ALL the time. They would normally snap the crank at the front main bearing.

Howard

LC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LC »

LC from PA my 1970 D-100 Adventurer 318, 727 3.55 open has lost 2 engines since new the truck was used till 1999 on the farm in the mid 80,s after a LOF in the spring after sitting all winter on a deliver run on the road it grabbed a bearing on #2 rod and broke out threw the block put in a used 318 out of some Mopar car ran for years restored trucked in 1999 in 2006 was going to a show was going down hill started to vibe like a bad U joint stop to look then heard engine noise sound like a bearing going BAD on a rod was apr 100 miles from home went to show everybody brainstromned change oil and filter and limp it home :shame :shame was doing OK till I got behind some traffic and couldn,t control my speed the person in front stop for a turn when i step on the gas I had Nothing NO Sound No Noise ETC was on a 2lane road with no sholder to pull off on Luckly coasted to aparking lot had towed home pulled engine out Crank was broke completely at #5-6 just like you cut it off with a saw have a friend that knows about cast iron he said it broke that way because of the oil holes on the rebuilt I use a 69 Forged crank So 318 can and will Blow up but You have to Beat the H out of Them to Do IT :lol: :lol: :lol:

63d100sixer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside

Post by 63d100sixer »

not really BLOWN UP, but I just did a cam swap on my 72 318. It had a knock above 2500, especially while accelerating.....heres what I pulled out:

the lobe is almost perfectly ROUND :pale

BUT luckily the 360 I bought, had a perfect cam and lifter set in it. I swapped the 360 cam into the 318 temporarily until I can send the 360 to the machine shop and get it back for reassembly :dance

OH and the 360 cam is a NICE upgrade :dance :dance :dance

Yellow71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 80031

Post by Yellow71 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:u mean like this?
I can never remember...90% nitro...or was that 90% ethonal :)

kckahl
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: almena
State: WI

Post by kckahl »

well a few years back a had an 83 dodge heavy half ton 4x4 and i was crusin down the road went to step down the gas and nothing lookin in the mirror seeing nothing but white smoke pourin out the tailpipe rolled to a stop got towed to a buddies house and started the teardown when we pulled the heads off and the number 6 and 8 pistons were not there, the rods and wirst pins were, no pistons the biggest chunk we found was about the size of a half dollar coin we tore it all down and found most of the peices the two of them exploded never really figured out what caused that

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

you see the GM and fords on youtube blown upp everywhere cuz they do that more often. remember we are drivin MOPARS! superior engines across the board. the other guys have some good ones but I have worked on a few small fleets of all brands and the dodges have the least engine problems. I have heard that from guys who worked on much multi branded fleets as well. I have never blown any mopar engine. I have had a few worn out polys and flatheads but they still ran great.