Odd truck on eBay

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
moparthug
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Odd truck on eBay

Post by moparthug »

I'm still learning all the different options available for the swepties, and I have alot to learn, but can they have factory bucket seats and NOT be a CSS or other special model? This truck on eBay claims to be a "white hat" model... what's that? Is it just that the roof is painted white?

eBay Item number: 150090153381

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

They were actually called "white hat specials". My '68 was one of those and it consisted of a slant 6, auto and dealer installed air. My grandpa also got a white straw cowboy hat with it. $2300 dollars out the door.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand,cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"what a ride&quot

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Someone correct me if I'm remembering this wrong, but I think the "White Hat Specials" sale was a sale gimmik, and there was no badging or decals on the vehicle that said White Hat Special. In fact, I think there were cars sold as white hat specials too.
The seats like the ones in the Ebay truck were optional and could be had on any Dodge truck, but mostly came on Camper Specials and Adventurers.
1969 Adventurer W100

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Ot ... dZViewItem

I havent heard or seen anything in books or literature about a White Hat Special Sweptline. I have seen this name for some cars though.

If JJs grandpa actually bought it new and relayed the information to him, then it probably existed. Andrew Wasson mentioned something about a Fargo Top Hat Special that was a Fargo only version of the Dude. He said none were ever built but he didn't specify where the information came from. :thinking

The truck has factory buckets, heavy duty gauges and a chrome front bumper.

I have a question though. Should the white on the back of the roof go below the rear window too? I have a black roof on my truck but since I have a topper, with a fabric piece that snaps in through the rear window opening, I've never looked down there.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

The "White Hat Special", as applied to cars in 1967 and 1968, included the folllowing items:

Wheel Lip Mouldings
Wheel Covers
Body Belt Mouldings
Whitewall tires
Ft & RR Bumper Guards
Fender Mounted Turn Signals
Vinyl Roof

My guess on the trucks is that the roof was painted white, instead of the vinyl top. I can't ever remember seeing bumper guards on these trucks at all, but it would make sense if the WHS package on the same year truck had the above (except the vinyl roof and the bumper guards).
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]