Power Steering Belt Noise

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
PeterCrowl

Power Steering Belt Noise

Post by PeterCrowl »

The '70 D-100 has developed a terrible PS belt noise. Loud enough to hear from a block away. New belt(s) have not solved the problem...the pulley is in alignment with the crank pulley...
The bracket is kinda wimpy - perhaps it's pulling out of wack under load. It is quiet at idle but any kind of revs or steering load and it goes off. It did not do this on a 1200 mile trip - but right after that it started and has not stopped.

HELP!!!!
Anybody been through this?

Peter

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Peter, just dont look at the ps , pulley might , be one of the other ones that the belt pulls on , Or the wimpy bracket , have some one you trust do a power brake , while you look from the side & see if it is the wimpy bracket , but look at all the pulley's , might be the lower ones with the 3 bolts , on the crank
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

PeterCrowl

Post by PeterCrowl »

Thinking it might be one of the others, I put on a short belt that drove just the WP - took the PS pump out of the loop entirely. No noise.

Has to be in the PS pump belt loop but I cannot figure out why it just started up now.

Peter

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

Does it yowl only cold, only hot, or all the time? Get it to make noise and real quick take the belt off and see if the pump is hard to turn. The one on my mud racing truck sounds like a cat being backed over in the drive way when I first start it up. I think the pump is binding till it warms up.

Later.....Don

P.S. I love cats and have four of them.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Did you used to have 5 Don? :lol:
John