This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Magnolia
State: TX

Re: Work? Where do you guys work at?

Post by TedWitt »

I drive a '05 KW hauling the heavy equipment that I operate. We have 2 320 cat track hoes and one 200 john deere, 1 938 cat loader with a clamp, one jd skidder, one 6700 Peterson Grinder. I pull the grinder, 2 double stack log trailers, 1 end dump, 1 live bottom trailer and 1 lowboy for hauling the machines.

W20071
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntsville
State: UT

Post by W20071 »

Ever since high school when i walked into the machine shop and seen the American flag on the shiny chrome head of a Bridgeport milling machine, i knew that was what i wanted to do. Now days I am a machinist working on landing gear of aircraft. Not a glamorous job and involves a lot of responsibility, but it pays okay and i work with some great people. I live in a farm town 30 miles from my job and spend most of my free time in the summer operating tractors. In my next life I want to be an engineer for Dodge truck division.

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Post by HEtkind »

My day job is as a Safety Engineer in ultra high risk industrial operations...last few years it has been mainly in the production of high explosives for military uses. Aside from that, I have been building a piece of land with a cabin on it to a homestead deep in the national forest. I use the 68 D100 Utiline Pickup and the 62 Military Power Wagon (M37) as construction vehicles.

Howard

flounderguts
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kinston
State: NC

Post by flounderguts »

I make beer at a craft brewery.

Not as much glam or $$ as my old job (commercial diving and ROV's) but way more free beer.
http://www.motherearthbrewing.com
Dan

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Post by HEtkind »

flounderguts wrote:I make beer at a craft brewery.

Not as much glam or $$ as my old job (commercial diving and ROV's) but way more free beer.
http://www.motherearthbrewing.com
Dan
Craft Brewing is a calling, we are home brewers and keeping batch to batch goodness is difficult.

Howard

DoubleS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Port Saint Lucie
State: FL

Post by DoubleS »

Im a heavy engine mech. for Fl Gas Transmission, I work on 50 year old Worthington inline 6 and 8 cylinder compressor engines, they average 5000-6700 H.P. Its a great job, I love to wrench on stuff, gettin paid to do it is the best part, My Dad is retired now, but always had a Ford flathead he was workin on, I grew up around old cars and parts, makes for a good way of life. It wont be the engineers that save the world.....it's gonna be the mechanics lol.

thedodgeman69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno
State: NV

Post by thedodgeman69 »

I work for Tona Tec Explorations as a helper on a drill rig.

shagrat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rushville
State: IL

Post by shagrat »

reviving this thread for Spdcrazy ... I hadn't read it until now. A wide variety of careers here. It must be nice to have a job you like, or at least one that gives you a sense of work satisfaction.
I've been a state prison guard for 25 year and have HATED every minute. I can retire in 5 years if this corrupt state doesn't screw up the pension system before then. :pale
Last edited by shagrat on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: homer
State: AK

Post by Spdcrazy »

shagrat wrote:reviving this thread for Spdcrazy ... I hadn't read it until now. A wide variety of careers here. It must be nice to have a job you like, or at least one that gives you a since of work satisfaction.
I've been a state prison guard for 25 year and have HATED every minute. I can retire in 5 years if this corrupt state doesn't screw up the pension system before then. :pale
thank you! i searched but obviously used the wrong wording.

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno

Post by Oldguy »

Okay, I'll jump in here. Retired now but spent 35 years in radio broadcast. Lots of DJ stuff but also talk shows and news. When I left radio I spent 5 years working for Summit Racing. Was glad to finally retire! :lol: :lol: My week now consists of 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday. Really tough. Mike

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gifford
State: WA

Post by RAYMAN »

It must be real nice to have a week of Saturdays. I am trying to run my own business as a welder fabricator and a mechanic. Im also working on a salvage job right now and on Outlaws cab. Its kind of nice to be the boss but stressful at times. :Thumbsup

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: homer
State: AK

Post by Spdcrazy »

working at summitracing must have been fun?

salvage company worker, i can see the perks now!

RAYMAN
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gifford
State: WA

Post by RAYMAN »

Well i dont have a salvage company but if the price is right (aka free) on the material ill do the job. I mainly do welding and fab work and a little mechanical aswell. Its nice to get somethings for free though. :Thumbsup

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno

Post by Oldguy »

Summit Racing was fun for the most part but the company started micro managing and we had to account for every second and we got yelled at if we spent too much time with a customer. They kind of lost the idea of customer service. :lol: I was glad to be able to leave when i retired for good. Mike

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

I work for Volvo Rents im a field service mechanic.Work on mostly aerial equipment and dirt equipment,i also fill in driving the semis moving equipment.I have done this for the last 20 years,learned a lot on how to work on machines.Been tru many schools learning how to troubleshoot and repair equipment,JLG Genies Skytrak Lull Skyjack Lift A Loft Volvo to name a few.When it gets slow during the cold winter I work in the shop repairing customer equipment that's where it gets involved negelected worn out outdated abused.Working on the old Dodge Sweptline is a joy compared to some of the compact machines.Im not a big fan of John Deere equipment which is where I live is all John Deere.We also have Alcoa plant here which has some of the worlds biggest heat treat for the aluminum.I stay buzy at work we have a large radius that we serve driving over a 100 miles to get to a job site.Are service trucks are mainly Ford super duty there are Dodges and chevys but not many of them.There main semis are are Macks which Volvo owns.There trailiers are mostly Ledwells I got lucky and pull a Trail King HST which is the best all around step deck made.My service truck is a 2012 Ford 550 .I like driving my 1970 Dodge better then driving the ford.

NationPerformance
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: houston

Post by NationPerformance »

I work for autocomp technologies in Houston. I have no real name for what I do. I'm pretty much the bosses "go to guy". Tneww

NationPerformance
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: houston

Post by NationPerformance »

I work for autocomp technologies in Houston. I have no real name for what I do. I'm pretty much the bosses "go to guy". Tneww

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Don't drive semis anymore. Starting a new clean, quiet, indoor job today. With CVS Pharmacies.

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

Post by exline »

I used to design and build tooling , fixtures ,and what ever else they asked me to do, for a company.

Now I have a shop restoring, customizing and building hot rods, doing chassis work and making and selling sheet metal parts. Its a lot more work than where I used to work but its what I enjoy doing . I don't get a lot of time to work on my own cars any more but I am hoping to fit in some time on building my 68 sweptline this year and next, now that me and my son finished building his dart.
I enjoy a new challenge and this work Is just about right.

Kenny

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Magnolia

Post by TedWitt »

We need a picture of the 68 and dart.