This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
moonman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: laporte
State: IN

brand x engines in mopars

Post by moonman »

why do some people insist on using chevy engines when they restore a chrysler product, it makes me sick, however i do know of a 1938 chevy coupe with a 340 6 pack under the hood, that is very cool, anyone agree/disagree with me

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: brand x engines in mopars

Post by wally426ci »

Agreed. Its the worst. :banghead

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

AGREE. I'd rather have an animal penis sewn onto my body than a non-mopar engine in my Mopar.

Bucky

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

So why is it ok to have a Mopar engine in a non-Mopar vehicle?

I guess it depends on the vehicle and what the engine is. It seems that if the vehicle is early 50s or older, it is more acceptable.

moparbob71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 21797
State: MD

Post by moparbob71 »

The guy next to me in the pits at the Hagerstown show had a Chevy motor in his 86 charger. He was going for his 9 sec license or something. Car was fast. I had a wire pull loose and he helped me with the splice.Nice guy .

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

soopernaut wrote:So why is it ok to have a Mopar engine in a non-Mopar vehicle?

I guess it depends on the vehicle and what the engine is. It seems that if the vehicle is early 50s or older, it is more acceptable.
Not crazy about that either.

Bucky

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

We have a few members here who have installed Cummins engines in their Sweptlines and I haven't heard any complaints. It may not be what you meant by brand x but a Cummins is not a Chrysler engine.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

It's not a huge deal, but can be annoying...especially when the justification for sticking a Chevy 350 in something is "I can get parts for this easily"...to which my reply is "You need that, driving a Chevy!"

I've never had problems getting parts for Mopar engines, including flatheads. Nor have I had problems getting parts for Hudsons, Nashes, Cadillacs, Buicks, or anything else!

My son's '76 Buick Skylark has a 260 ci Olds engine in it from the factory. General Motors is famous for cross-pollenization with their engines.

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

Ugh, I hate that crap!!!! If you are fixing up, or "hot rodding" a vehicle, car or truck, please stay with the brand. I mean who would put a chevy engine in a '69 Super Bee, or a Hemi in a Chevelle???

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

I was stationed in Germany 20 years ago. I lived less that 1 kilometer from the Dutch border, so I got to see lots of American cars that the Dutch, Germans and Belgians had on a regular basis at car shows and cruises.

One car a Dutch guy had was a sweet '72 Challenger. It was blue with black interior, power and air...and a 455 Oldsmobile engine! Car ran like a champ! He already had a wrecked '72 Olds Cutlass that was totalled, and the 318 in the Challenger had chucked a rod through the block. You do what you have to do! He did a stellar job of installing the 455 in the Challenger, so good, in fact, that if you did not know Mopars, you'd have thought it was factory! Considering a replacement Mopar engine would've cost him over $5K back then, what would you have done?

Lots of times, people work with what they have. Can't ding them for that!

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Innisfail
State: Foreign

Post by Boons »

Cummins are the new 350s. Cummins swaps have became rather boring. You get the odd "Creative" person that strokes the 350 to a 383 or puts a 4bt instead of a 6bt cummins.
Want to see If I can stuff a perkins or detroit in my truck when I have the means to do so.

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham
State: WA

Post by Seff »

if cummings inst mopar then why are they in the new dodge trucks?

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

Seff wrote:if cummings inst mopar then why are they in the new dodge trucks?

Because Chrysler buys them from Cummins. Also it's Cummins, not Cummings. :thinking

Does this mean I'm banned because mine has a Chevy gearbox????? :pale :thinking

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK

Post by oklamopar »

As with what Patrick said about the guys saying "easier to get parts". What I think is it's more of a "cheap thing". As they spent to much restoring the mopar.
As we all know being diehard Moparites that parts can be some what expensive and difficult to find. If I'm spending 20-30k restoring a 1937 dodge club coupe I'm gonna go and install a mopar engine be it a 5.7l hemi with auto od or 360 roller engine.
I think, It's about if your just a hotrodder or a "True Mopar Man" (or woman).
Side note. Maybe you've heard this definition.
H. Heavily
E. Exceeded
M. My
I. Income

In closing. If they want or have to put a brand x engine in their nicely done mopar. Please leave the hood down. No matter how much chrome is on it.

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Boons »

Ford has had cummins in their trucks just as long as dodge has.
Cummins is its own independent company that just does contracts for light duty trucks with dodge. Ford has them in their medium duty. Cummins also builds massive generators.
Last edited by Boons on Sat May 28, 2011 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Boons »

Boons wrote:
Ford has had cummins in their trucks just as long as dodge has.
Cummins is its own independent company that just does contracts for light duty trucks with dodge. Ford has them in their medium duty. Cummins also builds huge generators.
In my opinion cummins is the only thing chrysler has going for them in the truck market, if they lose the contract we won't be seeing anymore "RAM" trucks. Personally I wouldnt shed a tear.
Nissan is currently working a contract with cummins to put a V8 diesel in the titan.

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Boons »

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

It can be annoying to see everything with a Chevy 350 in it. If you have the money to build a nice vehicle with no expenses spared I would think there would be many good engines to choose from. Now if you are a regular guy building a budget minded vehicle I can see using the 350 since it is a decent engine with excellent aftermarket support and it doesn't cost as much as many of the other engine choices would.

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham
State: WA

Post by Seff »

Boons wrote:
Boons wrote:
Seff wrote:if Cummings inst mopar then why are they in the new dodge trucks?
Ford has had Cummings in their trucks just as long as dodge has.
Cummings is its own independent company that just does contracts for light duty trucks with dodge. Ford has them in their medium duty. Cummings also builds huge generators.
In my opinion Cummings is the only thing Chrysler has going for them in the truck market, if they lose the contract we won't be seeing anymore "RAM" trucks. Personally I wouldn't shed a tear.
Nissan is currently working a contract with Cummings to put a V8 diesel in the titan.
i dont see why they would want a v8 diesel. the diesel truck im getting is a 92 dodge w250 with the Cummings I6. last time it was taken on a long trip it got 30mpgs on the highway. that alone has more power then my 73 powerwagon with the 360 and 4 speed trans. wouldn't the v-8 get less mpg?

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

Cummins builds engines for many different trucks manufacturers. So does Navistar (International), which builds the PowerStroke engine for Ford...and International. Caterpillar engines are found in Ford and GM medium trucks. You can order damn near any Diesel engine you want for OTR trucks.

The Nissan pickup is getting a smaller SIX-cylinder Cummins.

This gets way off the OP intent, though.