Which car to get?

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Longview, Texas

Which car to get?

Post by 2bluesweptlines »

I just graduated college and will start as an engineer in Mississippi here in 2 weeks. One of the first things on the list to get is a new(er) vehicle that I don't have to worry about tinkering with every weekend and don't have to bring tools with me on most trips (not that I don't enjoy tinkering on the old truck, but it is nice to hop in a car and know it will start up and drive 1000 miles no problem). Granted, no car is 100% reliable, but newer/lower mileage ones generally require less work and maintenance, etc. Anyways, here are the cars I have narrowed down to:

'05 or newer Subaru WRX STI: 305 hp turbocharged 2.5L 4 cyl. all wheel drive
'05-'07 Pontiac GTO: 400 hp 6.0L LS2 rear wheel drive
'05 or newed VW Passat/Jetta TDI: very good fuel economy
'05 or newer Dodge 3/4 ton diesel 4x4

There are pros and cons to each, such as price, economy, fast, slow, already have a truck, need a bigger truck, cool factor, etc. If there are any other exciting cars that you can think of to recommend that are below $25,000 for an '05 or newer with less than 50k miles, recommend away. I'm looking for something that's fun and fast, or diesel.

Opinions?
Stephan
'63 W300 Perkins turbo diesel (for sale)

akamikeymo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Antonio
State: TX

Re: Which car to get?

Post by akamikeymo »

LOL... Taking a look at your options, it looks like you are looking to tinker. If you want a reliable daily driver, then go with a non-turbo econobox. That's why my dd is a Scion xB.

'05 or newer Subaru WRX STI: 305 hp turbocharged 2.5L 4 cyl. all wheel drive
It's a high performance turbo awd car that the previous owner has likely beat to crap. They have notoriously weak transmissions when abused.
'05-'07 Pontiac GTO: 400 hp 6.0L LS2 rear wheel drive
Like the WRX, it will most likely have been abused.
'05 or newed VW Passat/Jetta TDI: very good fuel economy
My boss has a Golf TDI and has had a lot of issues with it. Furthermore, the cost of diesel may outweigh the mileage.
'05 or newer Dodge 3/4 ton diesel 4x4
Great cool factor and plenty of power, but you already have a truck.

Get a gas sipping econobox that gets 30+ mpg. You will be fine as long as you stay within the past 5 years and away from Kia, Hyundai, Chevy (GM econoboxes are crap), and Dodge (crappy mileage for their small cars).

And that's just my 2 cents.
The obsession has begun...
Thank goodness I have a daily driver.

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

i fall in the same train of thought, your list of car choices are all over the board. you need to narrow down what you want in a car, then pick several from that list. A decent late-model econobox would be the ticket. My DD is a 96 Nissan, 240sx. auto/air the perfect hooptee! the best part is, NO CAR PAYMENTS!!

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

2bluesweptlines
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Longview, Texas

Post by 2bluesweptlines »

Agreed on the fact that sports cars are likely to be ragged upon, which is why I'd have to go for a pretty low mileage one. To answer the question of what I want, or don't want, I'm looking for something a fair amount quicker than the average car OR something that gets good mileage and still have a decent cool factor (ie TDI VW vs Geo Metro-metro has 0 cool factor) OR 4wd diesel truck. Yes, my selection is pretty across the board, but so far, each one has its pros and cons and at least to me, they are all pretty close to cancelling each other out, making the decision hard. What I don't want is a run of the mill average car. This probably doesn't help the selection process much, and probably doesn't answer the questions you guys asked, however, I am certainly still all ears...
Stephan
'63 W300 Perkins turbo diesel (for sale)

dahooligan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: portville new york

Post by dahooligan »

I like my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse...2.4 4cyl. 5 speed.Good gas milage..These things are pretty quick. Mine has been pretty reliable too.165000 miles and still runs fine.The newer ones have the newer body style but also sporty.Think some where down the line there was a connection with Chrysler but not sure.Worse thing about these is everybody wants to race ya, and it drives the younger kids crazy when they see and old guy like me driving it :lol:

BCW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Indiana

Post by BCW »

Can't go wrong with a cummins.

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

Well, here's my :2cents . I've owned 2 different 2000-2005 Neons. The last one was a black SXT with the little spoiler on the back. It was a blast to drive, like a go-kart compared to my truck. I drove the snot out of that car, and it never gave me a second of trouble. The engines are actually Mitsubishi, and they might not be as sporty looking as the Eclipse (which I like ) but they're much less expensive!!!! I traded mine in when my wife wanted another car. She's history, wish I had my Neon back :banghead :dance
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

My vote is the Jetta TDI...
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Innisfail
State: Foreign

Post by Boons »

BCW and Me seem to be the only ones that havn't gone to the dark side.Cummins all the way and the only way.
1989 Ramcharger LE 318/727 2wd (For Sale)
"FUBAR"1971 Fargo D-100 LA 318/727 Auto
"SNAFU"1968 Fargo W-200 POWERWAGON 383/Np 435 4 speed/Np 202 T-case.Dana 60 rear Dana 44 front

demulsion
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bremerton
State: WA

Post by demulsion »

2bluesweptlines wrote:One of the first things on the list to get is a new(er) vehicle that I don't have to worry about tinkering with every weekend and don't have to bring tools with me on most trips (not that I don't enjoy tinkering on the old truck, but it is nice to hop in a car and know it will start up and drive 1000 miles no problem).

...If there are any other exciting cars that you can think of to recommend that are below $25,000 ... with less than 50k miles, recommend away. I'm looking for something that's fun and fast, or diesel.

Opinions?

It might just be me, but your swepty could fit all your requirements for way less that you're looking to spend... Your motor has less than 50k miles, so freshen up the rest of the drivetrain, and you'll have a bulletproof ride. Fun, fast, cool factor is off the chart, and you can forget about it being run of the mill, too.

I was just looking at this myself (ish). For the money I have into my '76 Dart, I could buy the cheapest Hyundai... Instead, I have no car payments, seat 6 comfortably, could fit half the Hyundai in my trunk, get good gas mileage, and could outrun said Hyundai in a straight line or around corners. I know I'm the odd man out, but that's what I did.
'69 D200 383/727 -and- '68 D200 318/833od 4x4 conversion project

65indypacecar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Riverside,CA
State: CA

Post by 65indypacecar »

Have you driven any of the said vehicles your interested in? I know the WRX hauls @#% and like was said probally has been "used" in such manner. What does consumer reports say about the said years of the vehicles? Maybe 1 year is better then others. :2cents Good luck in your search. and make sure you get a rust free one not a "rust free" kind meaning the rust is free.. :lol:
Jason B In SO CAL with 68 D-200,68 d-200 crew cab, 2-69 W-200, 70 D-200 crew cab, 70 d-200(driven daily),71 d-100,2-63 and 6-64 Rambler Ambassadors,65 Plymouth Sport Fury indy pace car,69 Plymouth Valiant Signet,74 International Travelall 100,75 Oldsmobile 98 Regency,78 Dodge M-400 Winnebago Chieftain, 79 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale diesel,79 Dodge M-600 Apollo 3300IB,81 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight regency diesel, 81 Oldsmobile Ninety eight diesel,91 Dodge Van Conversion B-250,01 Lexus ES300(wife's)

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

demulsion has the right idea NO CAR PAYMENT ! other benefits are easier to work on, cheaper to work on, cheaper insurance, more unique, and once again NO CAR PAYMENT !!!!!
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

Boons wrote:BCW and Me seem to be the only ones that havn't gone to the dark side.Cummins all the way and the only way.
You can add me to that list. Love my Cummins. Add the right programmer and you can embarrass just about anything on the highway. :lol: :salut :Thumbsup :Thumbsup
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

demulsion wrote:
2bluesweptlines wrote:One of the first things on the list to get is a new(er) vehicle that I don't have to worry about tinkering with every weekend and don't have to bring tools with me on most trips (not that I don't enjoy tinkering on the old truck, but it is nice to hop in a car and know it will start up and drive 1000 miles no problem).

...If there are any other exciting cars that you can think of to recommend that are below $25,000 ... with less than 50k miles, recommend away. I'm looking for something that's fun and fast, or diesel.

Opinions?

It might just be me, but your swepty could fit all your requirements for way less that you're looking to spend... Your motor has less than 50k miles, so freshen up the rest of the drivetrain, and you'll have a bulletproof ride. Fun, fast, cool factor is off the chart, and you can forget about it being run of the mill, too.

I was just looking at this myself (ish). For the money I have into my '76 Dart, I could buy the cheapest Hyundai... Instead, I have no car payments, seat 6 comfortably, could fit half the Hyundai in my trunk, get good gas mileage, and could outrun said Hyundai in a straight line or around corners. I know I'm the odd man out, but that's what I did.
Ditto, for the amount of money your going to pay, it could be used on the current situation and you'd probably have a Big Chunk left over, your list is the cars you'll see many around and not unpopular, I do understand the desire for something with manuvering ease, whats wrong with the Sebring coupe ( 2 door) or 300M, Avenger R/T, Shadow GTS or the other turbo'd 2.2's

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

we bought a mazda 6 for my wife. 4cyl, sun roof, rear wing, nice wheels, great sound system etc etc. its great on gas, has really good get up and go, and has performed flawlessly. best part is, its brand spankin new and falls below your 25k limit. nothing beats a full factory warranty. :Thumbsup

we also had an 07 eclipse, and have owned numerous other eclipse's..02, 00, 98, 94. they are great sporty cars, great on gas, and the aftermarket floweth over for upgrades.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

PDQAUTO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: CLAYTON
State: NC

Post by PDQAUTO »

any slant six with a super six intake for power a a833 od tranny and at most a 323 rear will bring you awsome gas milage and power that will burn up those 350 shitteys put it in a swepty and you are good to go :2cents

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

less han 25K and fun and fast is R/T chrger or magnum. I drove an R/T magnum from Sunvalley idaho to Seattle and got 27 MPG with 4 people and luggage. Mercedes suspension and very fast with the hemi. anything else really is not on the same plane in that price range. magnum r/ts are down to about 10K and charger r/ts are well under 20K now. why settle buy a DODGE!