Driveshaft length

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
MrChoo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Jamul
State: CA

Driveshaft length

Post by MrChoo »

I have a '64 D100 long-bed (122 in w/b) that needed new u-joints, so I took the entire original driveshaft into a local shop. When I returned to p/up it up, the shop owner told me that my truck is a "death trap" due to the shafts stock length (77"). He quoted from some book & told me if I drove over 55mph, tried towing a heavy enough load or did a burn-out that the driveshaft would likely twist or torque itself right off the truck & go flying down the road, possibly injuring innocent motorists behind me. He mentioned that he wasn't referring to broken u-joints either. He demanded I pay cash, refusing to even give me a receipt for the u-joint repairs & finally told me that the only solution was to have a 2-piece driveshaft, which he would gladly build for approximately $1500-$1800. Any opinions on why the stock driveshaft hasn't gone bad prior to this? I've never seen or heard of this issue.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Re: Driveshaft length

Post by powerwagon54 »

pm sent

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Was his office decorated with pictures of his twin screw power boat
and place on the shore? :thinking :joker

Which transmission does your truck have? My '61 D200
with A318 and NP420 has its original one piece drive shaft.
It was a farm truck for years and was worked. I had a
drive shaft shop put in new u-joints and it works perfect.
I have the stock one piece shaft in my early '65 D100 122" wheel
base Sweptline.... no issues whatsoever. :salut
John

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

MrChoo wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:44 pm
I have a '64 D100 long-bed (122 in w/b) that needed new u-joints, so I took the entire original driveshaft into a local shop. When I returned to p/up it up, the shop owner told me that my truck is a "death trap" due to the shafts stock length (77"). He quoted from some book & told me if I drove over 55mph, tried towing a heavy enough load or did a burn-out that the driveshaft would likely twist or torque itself right off the truck & go flying down the road, possibly injuring innocent motorists behind me. He mentioned that he wasn't referring to broken u-joints either. He demanded I pay cash, refusing to even give me a receipt for the u-joint repairs & finally told me that the only solution was to have a 2-piece driveshaft, which he would gladly build for approximately $1500-$1800. Any opinions on why the stock driveshaft hasn't gone bad prior to this? I've never seen or heard of this issue.

He's Screwing you badly. Pay for the u joints and demand driveshaft back. :censored :censored :censored :censored
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

File a complaint with BAR (Bureau of Auto Repair) in CA. Then go to Franchise Tax Board and tell them he won't give You a receipt for the cash payment he demanded. This guy is an ignorant, clueless @#%!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

File a complaint with BAR (Bureau of Auto Repair) in CA. Then go to Franchise Tax Board and tell them he won't give You a receipt for the cash payment he demanded. This guy is an ignorant, clueless @#%!

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

My 71 is a 128" wheel base with a single piece drive shaft. No problems here. Its not like there isnt another shop capable of doing that type of work. Sounds like the type of person who would remove a vacum line and tell you the engine needs to be replaced.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

I agree with everyone else. that guy is a scammer. most ridiculous scam I have heard in a long time. you could drive 100 miles an hour with a load all day and it would make no difference.... :lol:

MrChoo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Jamul
State: CA

Post by MrChoo »

Thanks for all of the awesome responses from everyone. Am I measuring just the tube (weld to weld) or the entire driveshaft, tip to tip? One person suggested middle of the u-joint to middle of the other u-joint? Weld to weld measures approx. 62 1/2". The engine is a poly 318 with the stock 3-on-the-tree.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

MrChoo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:34 pm
Thanks for all of the awesome responses from everyone. Am I measuring just the tube (weld to weld) or the entire driveshaft, tip to tip? One person suggested middle of the u-joint to middle of the other u-joint? Weld to weld measures approx. 62 1/2". The engine is a poly 318 with the stock 3-on-the-tree.
Just one link to procedure. More if you do a search. :thinking :thinking

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... sfiD1RjGVo
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Just one link to procedure. More if you do a search. :thinking :thinking

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... sfiD1RjGVo
:goodpost :study :Thumbsup

John

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer

Post by marklein »

My trusted driveline guy that my shop uses once told me that when driveshafts get over 72", they can start to have problems. Today's trucks have some longer than that, but use a lot bigger tube to get away with it. At 62 1/2, you won't run into a problem. Less than reputable shops make us all look bad, and it pisses me off. Find a good driveline shop and get it checked. Report them.