Slant six ID help

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
MoGas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flagstaff
State: AZ

Slant six ID help

Post by MoGas »

This is in my '63 D100. I'm trying to figure out if it is the original engine.

Block casting number: 2463430-5 with a 2 and 7 above it.

Block stamping: TT22 3 07

Thanks,
Dave

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Re: Slant six ID help

Post by Hewy »

Dave
Could be, Yellow is the correct color. As for as I know years of engines were not
designated on the engine.
To find the cubic inch displacement, look for a flat narrow pad on the block right next to
no. 1 cylinder spark plug wire ( the one closest to radiator ) post what numbers are there.
Looks to me it is a 225 ci.
You third photo shows the beginning of it TT2.........?
Hewy

DodgeDirty1963
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: South Bay, L.A
State: CA

Post by DodgeDirty1963 »

Hey man, that casting number indicates it was cast between the start of production and '66. It won't tell you much else though, about when it was made. The casting date should be hidden behind the alternator bracket on the head. The fact that it has 3 freeze plugs and the yellow paint, strongly suggest it's the original engine for your truck. My '63 ute is still running it's original slant and it wasn't cared for nearly as well as yours. Check out the slant six forum too, they have lots of info on what all these numbers mean.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

the casting number makes it made between 60 and 67. the TT22 I believe is correct for that year. the 22 means 225 and the 3 07 means March 7th. I say it is stock. they are engines that last a very long time. What killed some is unleaded gas. but they even handle that quite well.

MoGas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MoGas »

Hewy wrote:Dave
Could be, Yellow is the correct color. As for as I know years of engines were not
designated on the engine.
To find the cubic inch displacement, look for a flat narrow pad on the block right next to
no. 1 cylinder spark plug wire ( the one closest to radiator ) post what numbers are there.
Looks to me it is a 225 ci.
You third photo shows the beginning of it TT2.........?
Hewy

I don't know why my images don't work right on this site. The whole stamping is "TT22 3 07"

MoGas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MoGas »

Are the stamping a different for truck engines than car? Did the 10,000 day calendar not apply to trucks?

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

MoGas wrote:Are the stamping a different for truck engines than car? Did the 10,000 day calendar not apply to trucks?
most my engine number experience is with flathead mopars and yes they always have different numbers for the truck engines. same with V8s in the 60s as well. I think the TT is Truck an T for the year series. it was not a one design fits all. many different cam profiles, distributor curves, and varying compression ratios and in trucks you could get extra heav duty things like high volume oil pumps, valve spinners etc.

aqmet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norcross
State: GA

Post by aqmet »

The information below is from the slantsix.orgsite, lots of good information on the slant six there.

Based on the stamp on your engine it is a 1963 (first T), 225 ci (22) stamped on March 7th (3 07), I have read differing opions of what the second "T" means some say it stands for a Truck engine, others say it indicates it was made in the Trenton Plant.

For 1960-1964 blocks the engine code will start with a letter year code in the set [ P R S T V ] that indicates [ 1960 .. 1964 ] (in set order). The Year code is followed by the first two digits of the CID displacement (ex. 36, 38, 41, 42 would indicate 361, 383, 413, 426). If an additional three digits follow, usually after a dash, these will indicate the date it was stamped (not necessarily cast).

For Engines made begining in 1965, again the first character indicates the year [ A B C D E F G H J ] for [ 1965 .. 1973 ] (in set order). The full CID displacment will follow. If a dash and three numbers follow, this indicates the date it was stamped (not necessarily cast).

Mike

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

My 61 slant 6 in my D300 only has one T. T22 5 15. I translate that as Truck 225 maid on May 15th.