65 4 eye wiring harness

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
TheShop
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lodi
State: CA

65 4 eye wiring harness

Post by TheShop »

I have a 1965 D100 4 eye..Trying to figure out if the wiring harness I have is right for my 65.The truck has a fuse box but when I look at the wiring diagram for a 65 4 eye it doesn't show a fuse box...only a diagram for a 2 eye 65 shows a fuse box.The two wires circled in blue attach to the amp gauge,I can't figure out where the three circled in red go. I think they are supposed to hook up to the early style headlight switch with lugs. I also think this harness is for a older truck without a fuse box.The old hacked and destroyed harness that was in the truck had the three wires circled in red stripped and twisted together.Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: 65 4 eye wiring harness

Post by pwadventurer »

Looking at the wiring diagram from the 62-65 page on the http://www.sweptline.com/tech/62_65wire.jpg site the three wires are as follows. The Black is from the alternator, the red is to the ampere guage and the brown is to the ignition switch. They all go together on the headlamp switch. Check continunity to verify. I don't see a fuse or fuse link. Could be at the starter relay or right off the headlamp switch.

I might add that the 62- mid 65 trucks didn't come with a fuse block. The later 65 and up started with the fuse block.

TheShop
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TheShop »

Thanks pwadventurer...The weird thing is the truck is a 65 4 eye,the old harness in it has a fuse box and a newer style plastic headlight plug and headlight switch...so would I be better off getting a harness for a single headlight 65 or will that harness work? The old harness from the truck they hacked it up and they took the three wires and stripped them and twisted them together and wrapped black tape around them!!!...A really big mess!!
Thanks

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

I'd say the fuse block was added and the harness was adapted. There are a bunch off differences between the two styles. In the attached photo you can see the differences and make a judement call which is easier. Either way you go, you'll have to cut and splice some wires and maybe have to change the igniton switch and head light switch.Let me know if you can't read the drawing.
100_3307 - Copy.JPG

TheShop
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TheShop »

I really appreciate all the help pwadventurer ...yeah I found a four eye non fuse box nos headlight switch to work with this harness...wait for it...$165.00!!!WOW!!!...I think I will be doing some splicing on the harness I have or see if I can pick up a 65 2 eye harness with a fuse box and make that work...Thanks for all your help!!