69 d100 fuel and temp gauge

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Gelavive
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Port Orchard
State: WA

69 d100 fuel and temp gauge

Post by Gelavive »

so I have a 1969 d100 Frankenstein (d100 frame/body/engine with w200 drivetrain) that I have been working on for years. I am almost done and trying to get the fuel and temp gauges working. I know both gauges along with both sensors work (tested with a little twelve volt drill battery) however, the wiring seems to prevent both from working off of the truck's battery. I have a wiring diagram but some extra help from someone who has had the same problem (or just knows how to fix this) would be greatly appreciated.
I am working on a 1969 dodge D 100. however it can't be called a D100 anymore for I have converted it to a 3/4 ton 4x4
I have been working on this project for roughly 4-5 years now.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 69 d100 fuel and temp gauge

Post by Hobcobble »

Gelavive wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:10 pm
so I have a 1969 d100 Frankenstein (d100 frame/body/engine with w200 drivetrain) that I have been working on for years. I am almost done and trying to get the fuel and temp gauges working. I know both gauges along with both sensors work (tested with a little twelve volt drill battery) however, the wiring seems to prevent both from working off of the truck's battery. I have a wiring diagram but some extra help from someone who has had the same problem (or just knows how to fix this) would be greatly appreciated.
Have you checked the Voltage Limiter? When it goes.... so do the fuel
and temperature gauge. :2cents

John

Gelavive
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Port Orchard
State: WA

Post by Gelavive »

where might I find the voltage limiter on the truck?
I am working on a 1969 dodge D 100. however it can't be called a D100 anymore for I have converted it to a 3/4 ton 4x4
I have been working on this project for roughly 4-5 years now.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Gelavive wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:14 pm
where might I find the voltage limiter on the truck?
I'm not positive on '69 and later gauge clusters. Look at the
back of the fuel gauge. Look for something like this.....

https://www.ebay.com/p/NOS-Mopar-1969-1 ... 2166364518

John

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

69 to 71 gauges are exactly the same mechanically as the 68 and earlier except for front markings. Lines or no lines.
Voltage limiter is built into the fuel gauge.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

DodgeBeast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Charlotte
State: NC

Post by DodgeBeast »

My knowledge is mainly in British cars but I do have a 69 Power Wagon now. The British cars are infamous for wiring issues. The fuel and temperature gauge are fed voltage from the ignition switch when you turn the switch on. The voltage is fed to each gauge and then to their respective sending units. The first thing to do is turn on the ignition switch (take the wire off of the positive side of the coil if you are going to have the switch on for a long time), take the wire off of the oil pressure sending unit and ground it. The gauge should move to the high side. If it does not move, you have no voltage going to the gauges. If it does move you have a bad sending unit. Repeat for the fuel gauge.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

DodgeBeast wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:49 pm
....If it does not move, you have no voltage going to the gauges......
Maybe.
Or:
There is voltage at the gauge, but the gauge itself could be bad, or the wire from the gauge to the sending unit could be open.

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

Hobcobble wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:48 am

Have you checked the Voltage Limiter? When it goes.... so do the fuel
and temperature gauge. :2cents

John
when the limiter goes bad do the gauges die or do they stay pegged ?

Truckintom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Daytona
State: FL

Post by Truckintom »

The limiter controls the input voltage to the gauges,I have seen them when they go bad or burn out ,they will create an open circuit,as in no voltage going into the gauge cluster, the dropped down voltage going in and thru each gauge operates the gauges by each sending units amount of ground,(fuel gauge example- full tank of gas,the sending unit supplies full ground to the gauge,this makes gauge needle go all the way to full), if all or one gauge pegs all the way as soon as you turn key on- good chance of a grounding problem in wirring,or bad sending unit,if you unplug the sending unit,then turn key on and that gauge does not peg,bingo,bad sender. Hope this helps.