bed floor options

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
dsd1967
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Toledo
State: OH

bed floor options

Post by dsd1967 »

I have a 67 short bed and the floor is dented up pretty badly and the front 6 inches is rusted out due to wet debris setting there for years. The rest of the bed is in really good shape.

I know Exline offers replacement panels that come in two sections, but I was wondering if anyone had some other options that would not require welding a seam right in the middle of the bed. I was actually wondering if a late 70's utiline bed floor would be a reasonable replacement....but of course no one offers that as an aftermarket part.

Right now...the Exline product seems to be my best option.....I just don't trust myself to make it look like there is not a seam in the middle.

Let me know of other things you guys have tried.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: bed floor options

Post by soopernaut »

Someone on here used a Chevy truck bed floor and said it was a good match to the original. I don't know how much fab work was involved. A Utiline would have a wood bed floor until the last few years in the 80s and the metal one probably doesn't match yours. A wood floor could work too.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Find a long bed, cut the floor out and shorten it to fit.

dsd1967
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dsd1967 »

PwrWgnDrvr.....that was my thoughts....gives me room to work with the sheetmetal and then there are the bonus parts that come along that can be sold to offset the purchace price.
I've been on the lookout for a decent one within reasonable distance... but here in the rustbelt it's hard to come by one that is decent from both a rust and dent standpoint.

From some google searching, it looks like the 79 utiline bed floors may work, but there is a little offset at the wheelwells. I was scrap yarding last weekend and a late 80's early 90's GM stepside bed floor looks really close to working. Again the problem around here is finding these....then finding them without rust and dents. It doesn't appear the aftermarket has any replacement panels for either the dodge or GM stepside beds.

I have time....I'll keep my eyes open. Hopefully I can score a decent longbed. Thanks for the feedback

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Txs2step (Chris) got a floor from a junkyard truck and used it - PM him - that may be the build that Bill is talking about above with the Chevy floor.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

dsd1967
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dsd1967 »

MadMC63

Thank You! That thread says it all. Those years CK beds are readily available at a good price. I'll keep my eyes open for a good one in the area.

Dave