new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: cochranville
State: PA

Re: new box power steering

Post by 413wagon »

Mine is an open knuckle dana 44 from around 1980 with factory discs brakes.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

413wagon wrote:Mine is an open knuckle dana 44 from around 1980 with factory discs brakes.
OK, here is something that you may or may not know. Dodge built more caster into there 72-93 axles than the earlier axles for two reasons.
first...power steering
second ,and most important,they swaped the shackle hanger front to back.

What this means is,if you unbolt a newer axle from its springs and bolt it to your stock sweptline springs in thier stock orientation,you have about twice the positive caster that you need.

I have found from personal experience that if you unbolt the newer axle,springs and all,and install them under your sweptline ,your caster is just right.
The attached picture is of how your spring should be,end for end from stock.Aside from making it steer easier ,it also cleans up your driveshaft angle. This is a 67 crew that I put a dana 60 under the front.
front spring.jpg
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 413wagon »

What is your recommended caster for a setup like mine? I can put it on the rack and find out pretty quick where it is now. i know it drives nice and straight with good returnability so it can't be too far off. I know the The ford trucks had crazy amounts of caster in the 80's and 90's. not sure what the 80s dodges had. The sweptlines didn't have much with man. steering.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Acording to the big book +1/2 to +3 1/2 degrees is acceptable. +2 degrees is preferred. I'm betting you have close to +6 degrees if you haven't turned your springs end for end.
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 413wagon »

SANY0534.JPG
SANY0534.JPG (62.4 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
pics of my installation
moved the cover plate fully to pass side--can see column has been raised about 2"
moved the cover plate fully to pass side--can see column has been raised about 2"
SANY0539c.jpg (48.61 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
SANY0539c.jpg (48.61 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
new pump and brackets
new pump and brackets
SANY0537c.jpg (63.14 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
Attachments
SANY0542c.jpg
SANY0542c.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
SANY0541c.jpg
SANY0541c.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
SANY0540c.jpg
SANY0540c.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
had to grind slightly to get clutch pushrod to move without dragging
had to grind slightly to get clutch pushrod to move without dragging
SANY0538c.jpg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
SANY0536c.jpg
SANY0536c.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
SANY0535c.jpg
SANY0535c.jpg (62.05 KiB) Viewed 4058 times

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

That looks real good! Flip those leaf springs end for end and you will be golden. :Thumbsup
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

Jimmyv
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wind Gap

Post by Jimmyv »

Guys,

I have a 59 D200. The engine is out and I'm about to start the power steering install. I talked to the old pick up guys and they have a kit. Anyone have direction or ideas for better power steering kits?

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

Jimmyv wrote:Guys,

I have a 59 D200. The engine is out and I'm about to start the power steering install. I talked to the old pick up guys and they have a kit. Anyone have direction or ideas for better power steering kits?
The only bolt on power steering kit I found was from CPP, the install took about 4 to 5 hours for me (one man job). This kit is designed for 61 throught 71 sweptlines, not sure about using it on a 59. The only trouble i had was the power steering pump (used the Federal for a stock look). Also my d100 had been a power assst. truck, so the front was already shimed.
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

wally426ci wrote:In the meantime, use ball bearings in your kingpins for an incredible difference over the factory washer bearing. :2cents

My 10 minute test drive last night makes me an expert in this area. :joker
wally426ci where did you get the bearings for the kingpins and how did it work?

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg

Post by exline »

Ncp 2621378 is the napa part number i used on my 68 d100
It came with metal bushings and ball bearings. Made it a lot easier to turn the steering wheel.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Appears to be a problem with this CPP power steering set up: NO POWER STEERING AT LOW RPM/ DEAD STOP. I think CPP should properly address this issue and offer a viable solution to this $800-$900 install. I plan on contacting them to discuss the issue.Presently, they seem to be dodging the issue.
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

longbed67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: woodlands

Post by longbed67 »

I know I wasted a lot of money and time on this it seems that its too small for a truck . now I have 4 pumps about 350.00 worth plus 500.00 box plus 80.00 in hoses plus 40.00 in lost fluids it just sickens me and time I wont get back shoulda went with power assist ugh :banghead

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

longbed67 wrote:I know I wasted a lot of money and time on this it seems that its too small for a truck . now I have 4 pumps about 350.00 worth plus 500.00 box plus 80.00 in hoses plus 40.00 in lost fluids it just sickens me and time I wont get back shoulda went with power assist ugh :banghead
Refurbished stock manual steering and some periodic physical therapy sessions for sore
shoulder and arm muscles would probably run you a lot less by the sounds of it..... :thinking :banghead
Sorry to hear of your problems. :pale
John

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

After king pins, new bushings (spring and sway) then yet another alignment I'm go to go. Steering at stand still is about 90% corrected everything else about the steering is spot on. Just put 2000 plus miles cross country trip with no problem and no excess tire wear. :clap I installed the CPP kit June of 2015 I think it was the 3 or four kit they put together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjVogCAh-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8J-ddN-_4
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

flammulator
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: germany

Post by flammulator »

Hello from germany.
I have got a 1970 D200,383,727,A/C and power assist.
After spending a lot of time and money to the power assist system iam not happy about how it works.
I have read the whole 18 pages of this thread but my english is not the best.I didnt understand something.

Hope i will get some answers.

-I need a manual draglink. For my 70s truck or a draglink pre 69?
-Will the original rag joint fit?
-Whats the problem with the steering column and shift lever?
-Did CCP sell the correct pitman arm now?
-All my power assist parts including the ram are history? Do i need a steering damper????
-Power assist axle shims.In or out?
-Some if you had have heat problems.What was the problem at the end?

Will be happy about some answers.

Rene

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin

Post by Conrad »

flammulator wrote:Hello from germany.
I have got a 1970 D200,383,727,A/C and power assist.
After spending a lot of time and money to the power assist system iam not happy about how it works.
I have read the whole 18 pages of this thread but my english is not the best.I didnt understand something.
Nobody has responded yet, so I will try.
This thread is about the CPP (Vega-style) power steering box vs. the original manual steering with a hydraulic ram to assist in moving the steering.
flammulator wrote: Hope i will get some answers.
I've marked the questions I can't answer with a ?.

-I need a manual draglink. For my 70s truck or a draglink pre 69?
Yes, if needed you can buy a Moog draglink with new pressed-in ball joints. I did this a few weeks ago.
-Will the original rag joint fit?
? I'm assuming. Most people are converting from manual steering to power steering, rather than power assist to power steering. Maybe someone here has a '71 auto/power combo who can comment.
-Whats the problem with the steering column and shift lever?
?
-Did CCP sell the correct pitman arm now?
? If you have a lowered truck already then you need to ensure that your components are aligned properly, people have used a block to drop the tie rod so that it is horizontal, otherwise the pitman arm provided works for most configurations. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34169&p=275843&hil ... an#p275843 as well, people have found longer pitman arms both original (5 3/4) and universal (up to 7.5).
-All my power assist parts including the ram are history? Do i need a steering damper????
Yes, your power assist parts are no longer required. You don't need a steering damper, although depending on your terrain you can add one.
-Power assist axle shims.In or out?
The shims are for adding Caster which applies to any power steering solution. So they would be in.
-Some if you had have heat problems.What was the problem at the end?
? Big-block Chrysler cars with power steering benefited from a power steering pump cooler. I assume the 'overheating' is because the box is working too hard relative to the volume of fluid. Add a power steering pump cooler and/or increase the volume the pump flows if this is an issue. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34169&p=275843&hil ... an#p275845
flammulator wrote:Will be happy about some answers.

Rene
It may be helpful to look at articles for other makes/models that use a similar solution.
For example,
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/power-st ... ght-axles/
and
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ford-f-1 ... -steering/
and
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/chassi ... rolet-210/

and previous solutions from this forum
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17036

flammulator
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: germany

Post by flammulator »

Thank you for this answer!!!

I have read that the column must be moved and that there will be a bracket in the CCP Kit.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin

Post by Conrad »

flammulator wrote:Thank you for this answer!!!

I have read that the column must be moved and that there will be a bracket in the CCP Kit.
I am interested to know this answer myself. I was looking at ordering and it appears that current stock is out. Maybe that is what they are working. I hope so and have not discontinued. Otherwise, the other option is to use a Toyota-box type of conversion (midfifty.com). Another member here did that and they live nearby me.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

This is probably not an answer but you might try. They could have preordered some for stock?
http://**NOT ALLOWED**/power-steerin ... 9psk-400d/
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

eeeeeasy street
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?