New member project

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Westtexass2k
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Angelo
State: TX

New member project

Post by Westtexass2k »

I'm new member but have lurked here for some times learning from other owners. This is my first D100 ownership. Hopefully not my last. We purchased the truck this summer it's kinda a father son project and some how my son (16) has claimed ownership so I guess I'll have to find my own and do everything twice. We have a 69 SWB sweptline with 383 727 factory setup. Truck body is really straight with decent paint. We drove it for 6 months with only a wheel and tire change and electronic ignition upgrade. We started planning the upgrades which included a bit more power so comp cam, RPM intake DIY ported 906 heads, comp valve springs, 440 source roller rockers FITech fuel injection. We also wanted to upgrade suspension so we acquired a Crown Vic front subframe from an 03 car and Ram Man power brake system and rear disc brakes.
Jan we started tearing the truck apart to get the front end conversion done. First all the front sheet metal was removed then engine and Trans was removed. We began narrowing the frame and mocking up the suspension and boxing and reinforcing the front frame section. It took 2 days to get it done, but it looks like it's going to be great set up. Next we tore the engine down getting ready to port the heads and get a fresh valve job. While the engine was out we notice the firewall looked like Swiss cheese. So we decided to repair all of those by welding in 1" and 1/2 plates in the majority of them. We were able to weld up the smaller ones. We did the body work on it and got it primer for now. The engine bay will go back to all factory white and the engine is going to be painted gloss red Bill Hirsch engine paint. Valve covers and air cleaner and fuel injection throttle body are all textured black units.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post pics here.

Westtexass2k
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: New member project

Post by Westtexass2k »

Well let's see if these pictures upload. A little out of order but you get the idea. I have more pictures of the suspension install. I think it's been hashed out a few times in different places. I think I did mine a little different. I am willing to discuss my thought process if it helps someone out.
Attachments
Gutted interior for a complete refresh
Gutted interior for a complete refresh
image.jpeg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Blocking and rear trailing arm mount
Blocking and rear trailing arm mount
image.jpeg (47.57 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Frame narrowed and blocked for the CV swap
Frame narrowed and blocked for the CV swap
image.jpeg (47.57 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Suspension in
Suspension in
image.jpeg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Holes welded up
Holes welded up
image.jpeg (48.12 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Swiss cheese firewall
Swiss cheese firewall
image.jpeg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Wheel change
Wheel change
image.jpeg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 661 times
When we got it
When we got it
image.jpeg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 661 times

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Welcome to the site. :welcome :usa Nice looking D100. You do have the
one year only straight lip '68 hood on it in case you weren't aware. :study :2cents

John

Westtexass2k
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Westtexass2k »

Thanks for a reply. I figured out that the hood and grille have been changed by PO. It is a custom hood because it has the trim holes in it the color doesn't match either. I figured out later that it was a 68 hood.

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Nice work, it sure had allot of hole on that firewall.
Andy

rodchucker1967
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Westminster
State: CO

Post by rodchucker1967 »

Like the look of the old truck wheels with poverty caps!