Mocking up D-200 Disc Brakes

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Mocking up D-200 Disc Brakes

Post by slick »

After driving my crewcab for a few years now I think it's finally time to address my brakes. I've been researching the 2 kits that I know of and weighing the pros and cons of each. The scarebird kit seems simple, but I want to keep my 16" wheels, so in my opinion this one is out of the question. The Ram man kit looks awesome I just don't want to drop $1000 on a kit. So my plan is to maybe use ideas from both and see what I and hopefully we as a group can come up with. So here is where I'm at as of now. I have a spare 3/4 ton axle. It is the lighter duty one 2800lb I believe? It's the one that looks just like the 1/2 ton spindle, not the evenly spaced 4 bolt heavy duty axle. I turned down one of my original hubs and used rotors off a 1990 D-250. I also have the calipers off the same truck. Which poses my first question, why does the scarebird kit not use this caliper? This is the setup I had on my old Cummins truck and it fits behind a 16" wheel. This is what I'm after. Here are a few pictures I took today. This is the passenger side that I took pictures of. They are kind of hard to see, but will give you a general idea of what I'm after. Any words of wisdom, ideas, pros, cons, whatever. Lets get this figured out so we have a little stopping power for us D-200 guys.
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Mocking up D-200 Disc Brakes

Post by slick »

1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

Oshork67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Haven
State: CT

Post by Oshork67 »

I did a AAJ brake conversion on the 3800lb axle it uses Gm 2500 rotors and calipers a custom plate. I have 16in wheels no spacers necessary
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 1693 times

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

There is no information on their website? What did the swap cost you? Do you just buy the brackets from them? thanks
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kenai Peninsula
State: AK

Post by Prormk »

Following..........

I don't see why a guy couldn't make his own adapter plates, as this is the only thing that needs to be "custom" on a D200 front disc conversion....correct?

So in short, you could select any components you wanted, then make a plate / spacers to adapt to the axle.

This winter, my Dad and I will be diving head first into this.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

It seems pretty simple in theory I just haven't had the time. Been working on the other truck...
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Prormk wrote:Following..........

I don't see why a guy couldn't make his own adapter plates, as this is the only thing that needs to be "custom" on a D200 front disc conversion....correct?

So in short, you could select any components you wanted, then make a plate / spacers to adapt to the axle.

This winter, my Dad and I will be diving head first into this.

We had a member, Steven, who did this many years ago.

http://sweptline.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... isc#p99427

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

cool thanks, that one didn't come up in my search..
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

Oshork67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Haven
State: CT

Post by Oshork67 »

When I purchased it it came with the brackets, bolts, and parts list everything needed to complete the install I wanna say it was 250ish for it. The brake and bearing stuff was pretty cheap.

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

Thanks for the link. Still following, been in contact with AAJ brakes. Going to be getting a parts list soon.

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

Slick,
So if I understand you correctly, you turned down the outermost O.D. On your hub, to fit inside the backside of the rotor? I'm referring to your first pic. Also, it doesn't appear that the stud side register on the hub is a "precision" fit to the I.D. Of the rotor. I wonder if the backside fit is precise enough to rule out any potential vibration....... may have the turn down backside I.D. Of the rotor first to true it up, then turn hub down to that dimension.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

Yes I turned down the hub. It was just mockup and a few months ago. I've kind of scrapped the idea for now, so I don't remember exactly what it looked like. Sorry...
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dude
State: PA

Post by Crewcabstripper »

Any updates? I'll be going with the scarebird kit next month if I can't find a better way by then. Also anyone have AAJ's parts list?

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ijamsville
State: MD

Post by JLeather »

Crewcabstripper wrote:Any updates? I'll be going with the scarebird kit next month if I can't find a better way by then. Also anyone have AAJ's parts list?
Can't help you with the AAJ list but I'm installing a Scarebird setup on my D200 this week. Cost all-in, including a new prop valve and brake lines, was about $600. You can follow along in my build thread "67 D200 CSS Sweptline" in the build thread section if you want to see how it goes together.

Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

JLeather wrote:
Crewcabstripper wrote:Any updates? I'll be going with the scarebird kit next month if I can't find a better way by then. Also anyone have AAJ's parts list?
Can't help you with the AAJ list but I'm installing a Scarebird setup on my D200 this week. Cost all-in, including a new prop valve and brake lines, was about $600. You can follow along in my build thread "67 D200 CSS Sweptline" in the build thread section if you want to see how it goes together.
I'll look at your build for sure. Be sure to take good step by step pics of the process. Where did you get the proportion valve from? And does it require a 17" rim to clear?

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JLeather »

I bought a Summit complete drum/disc valve (SUM-760182) that member pwadventurer used:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38901

I preferred an all-in-one option with the correct residual pressure and proportioning instead of the adjustable called out in the Scarebird install, plus I couldn't find an adjustable for 1/4" brake lines without using reducers and the rear brake line is 1/4".

Not sure yet about the rim clearance. I have aftermarket 16" rims at the moment, but I'm prepared to find 17's if need be.

Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

So The summit prop valve will have a 3/16" inlet feed lines from the master and 3/16" line going to the front two calipers then a 1/4" line feeding the rear drums?

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JLeather »

I don't know what size the pre-bent lines are, I'm not using them because I'm mounting the valve down on the frame in the stock location. The Summit valve inlets are 1/2"-20 and 7/16"-24. You might be able to get tube nuts for these sizes in 3/16" but they're more commonly 1/4" tube nut sizes. I'm running 1/4" line from both master cylinder ports to both of the prop valve inlets. The front has two outlets in 3/8"-24 for 3/16" lines to the front brake hoses, and the rear outlet is 9/16"-18 for a 1/4" line to the rear brake hose.