W300 transfer case PTO attachments? Practical? NE1 use it?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
LarryB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lane
State: KS

W300 transfer case PTO attachments? Practical? NE1 use it?

Post by LarryB »

I have a 61 W300 w/a 318 A/poly. It has a front mount PTO winch that runs of the LH side of the tranny. There is also a rear facing PTO output shaft on the LH side of the transfer case.

I have done a little research on the rear facing PTO drive and it has been mentioned that "people" have used it, but I never have found a link to a poster on a forum that is actually using it. Anyone here actually have a attachment running off a transfer case PTO?
My transfer case is the twin stick model. I've researched the tranny and trans, but can't remember the model number right off hand.

I checked the PTO w/ the Tranny & T-case both in neutral. The PTO and intermediate shaft turn 1/1. So I assume that the PTO shaft will turn at a speed based on the gear I am in and the RPM of the motor. Therefore I assume if I want to pull a bush hog at 500 rmp I would need to leave the tranny in 1st gear and run the t-case in high. If I want a higher speed for a stationary attachment like a water pump I would need the tranny in 4th gear "1/1 w/ the motor RPM" and leave the t-case in neutral.

Am I close to being on the right trail?
I need to sell some trucks off and I'm trying to justify keeping this one. I recently sold off my old worn out tractor before I moved, but kept all the attachments. I have a PTO post hole digger and the bush hog. I have a large generator w/a shot motor that could possible be PTO driven? The back of the truck is steel framed and plated so I can build a 3-point hitch attachment. Not destroying a original bed or bumper, etc. I can install the PTO shafting and bearing blocks, clutch over ride set up, etc. The bush hog also has a single eccentric wheel so backing up is not anymore difficult than the tractor was.
I don't need a tractor to farm, just to do a little moving, towing and post hole digging. I'm poor and heavily in debt so a nice used tractor is out of question for a long time.

Any tips or advice?
Thanks

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Re: W300 transfer case PTO attachments? Practical? NE1 use i

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Hi Larry! Your '61 W300 is most likely equipped with an NP420 4 speed trans, an NP201 t-case, and a Braden FTD-7 PTO on the transfer case.

That said, I wouldn't really consider the W300 to be a good candidate to be used in place of a tractor. It could be done, but I would think there would be a large margin for incident trying to use tractor implements behind it. For example, when using a deck mower I've found it beneficial to be able to look down from the seat on either side and watch for stumps and rocks that the mower may hit. When I see them, it's nice to be able to use the 3 point hitch to raise the mower to clear said obstacles. The same principles apply to using a rototiller.

I know you mentioned adding a 3 point hitch to the rear- I don't know if you were thinking of constructing a stationary 3 point or a hydraulically controlled variable position setup, but for the sake of useability I'd assume you mean a typical 3-point that can be raised and lowered. If so, I would think the cost and labor of constructing said setup (hydraulic cylinders, hoses, a pony motor with a small pump, a control valve assembly, etc) would be enough of a deterrent to discard the idea. I'd envision the geometry of the arms would be a pretty large deal too, and possibly a pain to implement. Without the 3-point the use of the post hole auger goes out the window as well.

At any rate I completely understand your goal of downsizing and trying to keep only things that are multi-functional (in the same boat myself), but I personally feel that the W300/tractor setup would be costly and time consuming to bring to fruition. I saved my pennies for quite some time and recently purchased a John Deere 270 skidsteer- owning it has allowed me to sell off quite a few single-function machines I've accumulated over the years. :2cents
'66 Cummins W250 5 spd crew cab long bed
'67 W200 Cummins, never-ending project
'74 Ramcharger Cummins 5 speed
'02 24v quad cab 6 speed dually 4x4

LarryB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lane
State: KS

Post by LarryB »

Thanks for the clarity and sanity check! LOL :salut
I guess just because it could be done doesn't mean it should be done. Yes, smart time and money would be to sell some trucks off and just buy a tractor.
That's IF I can sell the old beast. It's pretty rough on the body.

I have a torch, welders, material, etc to build stuff. I also have a electric / hyd cylinder from a snow blade I could use for a lift. Probably needs rebuilt though. Still alot of work a half baked contraption. :banghead I'll only do it as a last resort.

Thanks again for the reply.
Larry

hank
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Charlotte
State: MI

Post by hank »

I have seen on the older flat fender power wagons that they had belt pulleys and pto shafts for manure spreaders and such, even a three point hitch set up on them. They were marketed as a tractor alternative after there the war when the guys came home, I think even a two or three bottom plow for them. I was poking around on the internet and found a sales brochure on them. I agree though that a tractor that you see better with would be better to use.

spesce
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North Bend
State: WA

Post by spesce »

I have a 1945 Dodge Dump truck that has a rear PTO. It is used to power the hydraulic piston for the dump bed. It also has an inline pulley between the cab and dump bed to power another PTO gadget. There are a few items I can think of that could be powered in this location. 1) I have a 20,000lb Braden winch that would fit in this area and is what I am planning to use this pulley for 2) compressor 3) generator 4)knuckle boom. Since I already have the winch this is what I am going to use this additional pulley for.

My 68 W200 Crewcab does not have PTO :(

The older flat fenders did have rear PTOs that run to the rear bumper and usually power a belt driven pulley for implements at the rear. Saws were a main use in the day.

1968 W200 Crewcab
1945 Dodge Dump truck
1966 Ocelot Dune buggy.
Steve
North Bend, WA
68 W200 Crewcab
45 Dodge Dump Truck
66 Ocelot Corvair powered Dune Buggy