Transfer Case Lever Shaking

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gainesville
State: FL

Transfer Case Lever Shaking

Post by JohnB »

Got a chance to drive my W200 down about 20 miles of dirt road so I put in 4WD {High and Low range} to slosh some lubricant around the front diff. After putting the transfer case back in 2WD and driving on the pavement, I noticed the transfer case lever shakes back and forth quite a bit when starting out from a standing stop. Just shakes until the truck gets going and doesnt do it in any other gear while upshifting. Any ideas? Loose mounting bracket bolts? universals need grease? something else?
John
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Transfer Case Lever Shaking

Post by digdoug »

That is the downfall of divorced transfer cases. When you drive it in low range it messes up the phasing between the jack shaft and rear shaft.
Just put the tc and tranny in neutral ,set the parking break,crawl under and line up the yokes of the two shafts.Put them back in gear and recheck to be sure the jack shaft is still in phase. :Thumbsup

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JohnB »

digdoug wrote:That is the downfall of divorced transfer cases. When you drive it in low range it messes up the phasing between the jack shaft and rear shaft.
Just put the tc and tranny in neutral ,set the parking break,crawl under and line up the yokes of the two shafts.Put them back in gear and recheck to be sure the jack shaft is still in phase. :Thumbsup
I figured it might be something simple since the truck was fine before my "off road" adventure :lol: I'll get them in phase this weekend and let you know how it works out.
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JohnB »

digdoug wrote:That is the downfall of divorced transfer cases. When you drive it in low range it messes up the phasing between the jack shaft and rear shaft.
That was the problem. Simple, easy fix.
Thanks!
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

My not knowing anything about these 4WD trucks... I need some explanations.

1.) What do you mean by a Divorced Transfer Case?

2.) What do you mean by lining up the yokes??

3.) Was this something that was done "back in the day" when they were new?

4.) If you just drive it in 2WD will it eventually "work itself out"?

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I can answer #1. A divorced transfer case is not attached to the back of the transmission, where a married transfer case is. A divorced transfer case has a shaft going from the transmission output to the input on the transfer case. This is probably what is referred to as "jackshaft" above.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Jims68 wrote:

Jim

Jim,
1 Soopernaut answered this one, but if you look at page 13 ,fig.13 you can see how a divorced transfer case ( or any divorced auxiliary tranny) is set up. http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-HVTSS.PDF
2 by lining up the yokes , I mean Phasing them.
3 I was only 3 years old when they were new,but I had a 69 w100 that did the same thing.
4 No, what happens is when you put the transfer case in low,the input shaft (jack shaft,or intermediate shaft) spins twice as fast as the output shafts (front and rear driveshafts). When you put it back in 2 hi ,you have the same odds of the driveshaft assembly lining up in phase as would a person playing russian roulette does .

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I had never considered my intermediate shaft needing to be in phase with my rear driveshaft. Good to know.
But on my W600 I've not noticed any odd vibrations or shaking.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JohnB »

712edf wrote:I had never considered my intermediate shaft needing to be in phase with my rear driveshaft. Good to know.

Bucky
I never thought about it either until last weekend. I have only had the truck in low range once before and when I put it back in 2WD; I didnt have any problems. As digdoug said; I must have been lucky that time and they ended up in phase or close to it. Last weekend; it was really shaking in 2WD. When I got under the truck, the shafts were about 100 degrees out of phase. I lined them up and the truck drives smoothly again.
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

712edf wrote:I had never considered my intermediate shaft needing to be in phase with my rear driveshaft. Good to know.

Bucky
You're not driving fast enough Bucky! :lol: :clap
John

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

:goodpost :lol: I just about fell out of my chair laughing.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Thanks for the explanation. "IF" I ever do get a 'W' model, I'll understand a bit better! UNLESS I forget all about this post! :lol:

Jim

digdoug wrote:
Jims68 wrote:

Jim

Jim,
1 Soopernaut answered this one, but if you look at page 13 ,fig.13 you can see how a divorced transfer case ( or any divorced auxiliary tranny) is set up. http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-HVTSS.PDF
2 by lining up the yokes , I mean Phasing them.
3 I was only 3 years old when they were new,but I had a 69 w100 that did the same thing.
4 No, what happens is when you put the transfer case in low,the input shaft (jack shaft,or intermediate shaft) spins twice as fast as the output shafts (front and rear driveshafts). When you put it back in 2 hi ,you have the same odds of the driveshaft assembly lining up in phase as would a person playing russian roulette does .
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »

this doesnt make any sense. so every time you drive the truck you have to crawl under it a "phase" the shafts? if all the shafts are properly balanced, it shouldnt make any difference. i have never had any problems and have never "phased" the shafts.

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JohnB »

sweatybetty wrote:this doesnt make any sense. so every time you drive the truck you have to crawl under it a "phase" the shafts? if all the shafts are properly balanced, it shouldnt make any difference. i have never had any problems and have never "phased" the shafts.
It didnt make a lot of sense to me either but lining up the universals on the jack shaft and the rear shaft sure made the problem go away. Everything I could find to read on the subject stated that when you have a divorced transfer case and run for any distance in 4WD Low Range; there is a good chance you will have to line up the universals again to get rid of driveline vibration. :study
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

WAWII
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rolla
State: MO

Post by WAWII »

If you have to line up the input and output yokes, you have a drive line angle/alignment issue.
Thanks,
Will

1946 Dodge Power Wagon http://powerwagon.wawii.com/46.html
1949 Dodge Power Wagon http://powerwagon.wawii.com/49.html
1953 Dodge M37 http://m37.wawii.com/
1964 Dodge W500 Fire Truck http://powerwagon.wawii.com/W500.htm
2006 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab http://wawii.com/My3500Megacab/index.htm

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JohnB »

WAWII wrote:If you have to line up the input and output yokes, you have a drive line angle/alignment issue.
Totally stock W200 so I don't know which drive line angles would have changed.
Last edited by JohnB on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I've re-clocked my drive shafts a few times over the years on my
'68 W200. :salut
John

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

sweatybetty wrote:this doesnt make any sense. so every time you drive the truck you have to crawl under it a "phase" the shafts? if all the shafts are properly balanced, it shouldnt make any difference. i have never had any problems and have never "phased" the shafts.
Never had that problem from day one with my '67 W200 either. Bought new by Dad so I was around from day one.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

RussRoth wrote:
Never had that problem from day one with my '67 W200 either. Bought new by Dad so I was around from day one.
Russ,
If that is the case, worn rubber mounts ,splines,or springs could explain the problem. How many miles were on your truck when you put the married transfer case in it?
Doug

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

digdoug wrote:
RussRoth wrote:
sweatybetty wrote:this doesn't make any sense. so every time you drive the truck you have to crawl under it a "phase" the shafts? if all the shafts are properly balanced, it shouldn't make any difference. i have never had any problems and have never "phased" the shafts.
Russ,
If that is the case, worn rubber mounts ,splines,or springs could explain the problem. How many miles were on your truck when you put the married transfer case in it?
Doug
I think about 125,000 miles but it has been over a dozen years so I don't recall exactly. I think you may have misunderstood, this rig never had an issue with this. I was agreeing with the post I quoted in that I don't get it either especially since this it not my first rodeo with 4x4's and don't recall any of them vibrating as described.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires