Radio Options

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Radio Options

Post by kurt »

What have people done for radios? I would like to have a sound system. My dash has three holes for a stock radio now although I don't have the radio. I can't see putting a modern radio in it would look really out of place. Is there any old looking modern radios? Or is there a way to have the stock radio modernized? I guess I could always go with the hidden sound systems.

FourDoorScore
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: New Orleans
State: LA

Re: Radio Options

Post by FourDoorScore »

try these guys

http://www.classiccarstereos.com

once i realized i was unlikely to ever install a cd player in my dash again, i made a radio delete plate. then i made another plate with a cutout for the radio i got from these guys. this solved the hacked dashboard issue as well as the not having a radio issue.

mine came with a 1/8" socket (i added a 3' extension to it) as well as a usb socket for a jumpdrive.

it drives two 6x9 {3way} loudly and clearly without additional amplification

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I would find an original and then get it fixed by wards. That's what I did.

rockingkay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lake City
State: FL

Post by rockingkay »

you might want to check out http://www.retrosoundusa.com/

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

Thanks, The wards route looks like the best to keep it original looking. They can put in am/fm and input jacks to the stock box but its king of expensive at almost $500. I already had to switch out my gauges for Autometers to work with my computer engine so as long as it looks somewhat original I am fine with aftermarket. I will likely get one from retrosounds you can select the knobs and faceplate to make it look more correct and its less than $200. They have an AM faceplate when the radio is off and the digital stuff shines through when its on.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

I plan to use an fm converter i bought for $20

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida

Post by CSS-Registry »

my wards converted radio sounds pretty clear and with the reproduction speaker it still has that 60's single speaker sound...

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

The Wards is pretty nice. I guess I will leave the three holes in the dash for now and make my decision later. I am shooting the first primer coats this weekend so I was hoping to get the radio figured out. I am trying to throttle how much money I put into the truck or at least spread it out. Everytime I think I am close I find another $200-500 to spend.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

kurt wrote:The Wards is pretty nice. I guess I will leave the three holes in the dash for now and make my decision later. I am shooting the first primer coats this weekend so I was hoping to get the radio figured out. I am trying to throttle how much money I put into the truck or at least spread it out. Everytime I think I am close I find another $200-500 to spend.
Kurt, you are preach'n to the Choir. :lol:

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida

Post by CSS-Registry »

Txas2step wrote:
kurt wrote:The Wards is pretty nice. I guess I will leave the three holes in the dash for now and make my decision later. I am shooting the first primer coats this weekend so I was hoping to get the radio figured out. I am trying to throttle how much money I put into the truck or at least spread it out. Everytime I think I am close I find another $200-500 to spend.
Kurt, you are preach'n to the Choir. :lol:
Sing it!

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

I'll 3rd that! :joker

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

I've got an older Blaupunkt out of a VW or Mercedes, AM/FM/SW, set up for mono only use. $1 (what I paid for it) plus shipping... PM works best, I NEVER and mean NEVER, check my e-mail.

Same condition as when I bought it, unknown. Tossed it in the truck cab and forgot about it. I run a cheap CD deck since the dash was already hacked.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

WD wrote:I've got an older Blaupunkt out of a VW or Mercedes, AM/FM/SW, set up for mono only use. $1 (what I paid for it) plus shipping... PM works best, I NEVER and mean NEVER, check my e-mail.

Same condition as when I bought it, unknown. Tossed it in the truck cab and forgot about it. I run a cheap CD deck since the dash was already hacked.
Those were top line in the 70s and 80s, had one in my Challenger. Only stolen radio I bought and someone broke my quarter-window to steal it. Had a friend work at the Honda dealership that had the keys to the new stereo cage, he made a mint before he was fired. Karma...

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

I saw a neat little install in a '56 Chevy Nomad wagon recently...if I still have pics of the car, I'll post them. It is an MP3 unit that fits in where the ashtry is on the '56 - totally invisible, unless you are looking for it. All of the amps & speakers are hidden, too; so all you see in the car is an original (and functional) stock AM tube radio. The volume, balance and such can be controlled off the dash unit or with a remote. It is one of the most clever units I've ever seen! I want to use this in both the lowered truck and my Coronet.

65alldatjive
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Post by 65alldatjive »

Another potential option with modern day amenities. http://www.vintageautoradio.com/index.p ... &Itemid=67

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

1965 or so ford radios fit the stock dash also. I went that route when I couldn't find a Dodge radio for under $200. The ford ones come up for under $50 quite often. I am going to send it to Ward's.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Exactly what you're not looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AM-FM-CAR-T ... Gm&vxp=mtr
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I have the stock working radio in my 66W100 and put a remotely operated AM/FM/CD in the glove box. Door needs to be open to change functions. I remember ones that had a small module on the dash (or under) and the main part could be under seat etc.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.