**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
miatasportscar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Geneva
State: NY

Slant six oil filter??????

Post by miatasportscar »

.......my 1965 Dodge D100 has the Slant Six. Time to change oil/filter. What is the CORRECT oil filter for this engine? Mine is the cannister type mounted on the left side of the engine. Is the oil filter the same for both six cyl engines made that year? Please include part numbers, as I want to buy the very best filter for it. Thanks, appreciate any help. I plan on using Shell Rotella oil, any better suggestions for the oil?
Gerry
Attachments
my original slant six engine,
my original slant six engine,
MVC-003F.JPG (37.96 KiB) Viewed 6288 times

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Slant six oil filter??????

Post by Hobcobble »

Gerry,
If I had the part numbers.... I'd be happy to assist. I'm kind of
surprised nobody has replied to your post..... :thinking :pale
I know there's plenty of folks running Slant 6s that have done
an oil change recently..... [I hope :lol: ].
John

miatasportscar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by miatasportscar »

John:
Thanks. My main concern is that I understand some oil filters are different from one another in that some allow the engine to start up dry until the oil pumps through, however some have some kind of valve allowing better start up lubrication. I'm looking for the best oil filter with proven results. WILL SOMEONE knowledgeable reply on this? THANKS!!!
Gerry

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

miatasportscar wrote:John:
Thanks. My main concern is that I understand some oil filters are different from one another in that some allow the engine to start up dry until the oil pumps through, however some have some kind of valve allowing better start up lubrication. I'm looking for the best oil filter with proven results. WILL SOMEONE knowledgeable reply on this? THANKS!!!
Gerry
Gerry,
You might also try over at:
http://www.slantsix.org
John :Thumbsup

miatasportscar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by miatasportscar »

John:
Thanks. I did what you suggested, the folks at slantsix.com got back to me in less than five minutes. The correct and recommended filter for my 225 slant six is: WIX 51076 in case you or anyone else wants to know.
I plan on changing the oil/filter before putting it up for the winter soon. I'll use Shell Rotella oil, which is specified as the best current available for this engine.
Thanks again,
Gerry

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There is a site somewhere that shows the good, bad and ugly of oil filters. Wix are top grade, Fram are absolute worst.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Gerry, if you ever get fed up with the canister filter....easy change out to a melling oil pump/with spin on filter (5 bolts) about an hour with a six pack LOL and under $100. Then you can use the wix 51806 spin-on filter w /the long stand pipe( slows or stops bleed down).Best investment I've made on the '61 170/slant 6. MHO,Chris.

miatasportscar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by miatasportscar »

2step:
Do you have a source for this unit? Do you have some schematic describing installation? I may be interested in it, but then again I love "originality" Would like to see some description of how you changed it over, and where you purchased it. however. Thanks.
Gerry

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Gerry, you can find the oil pump at most any auto supply . The oil pump is on the outside of the slant six so really easy to change ....pretty much the same as what you have except the threaded part where the filter attaches.Fram makes an adaptor kit for the poly's but it doesn't work on the six( I tried that approch first) Chris.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

A WIX #51515 will work on all Mopar Slant Six, B, RB, 426 HEMI, and A/LA engines, too. It is the longer of the two that fit, and is equivalent to a PH8A Fram in size.

I agree, stay away from Fram, they are among the worst you can buy.

miatasportscar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by miatasportscar »

Changing the cannister filter was a breeze. Having remembered how critical it is to hold the thin gasket in place, I sprayed a little 3M contact cement on the lid ridge and on the thin gasket. This kept the thin gasket from shifting during installation. I used a cheap $1 turkey baster to suck out the remaining oil in the canister, then wiped it out and was amazed at how clean it was before installing the new cartridge filter (WIX 51076). All the necessary gaskets came with the filter. While screwing down the center post bolt, one must hold some pressure on the lid, as there is a spring underneath which must be kept compressed whilst tightening this bolt. It was simple, and my 3M contact cement insured a good seal from the thin, flimsy gasket, by holding it in place. My oil of choice was Shell Rotella 15X X 40W. I now have it put away in storage for the winter. Look for feature story in Jan-Feb Vintage Truck magazine. Thanks for the help I received to answer my questions regarding this, I do appreciate it.
Could someone show me where I can see working photos and instructions to replace the cannister type filter with the spin on filter? Although this was such an easy filter change, and I may keep the setup I now have, I'd like to see how the changeover is done, part #'s, etc, etc....
Gerry
Attachments
"Me and the Sweptline"
"Me and the Sweptline"