Anyone know what used an NP4530 transmission?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Coelacanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rochester
State: MN

Anyone know what used an NP4530 transmission?

Post by Coelacanth »

Hey all-- Recently a friend of a friend asked me if I'd be interested in some old Dodge driveline parts. Not being able to say anything but "Yes," I wound up with an NP205 t-case with cross member, two other crossmembers (he was collecting a variety of things to cobble a beast together...), a flywheel, and a rather beefy tranny: 23-spline 4-speed, 4.56:1 ratio first gear. The tag on it says it is an NP4530. This thing is a monster, the largest tranny I've ever seen before adding a 5th gear... I've been doing some web searches, but haven't really found anything useful information-wise. Both the t-case and tranny seem to be in near perfect shape mechanically with just enough endplay to allow ideal movement. Any knowledge out there?

--Tim
69 3/4ton Camper Special, 383 Manual (converted), PS, 175,000 and running like a sewing machine... usually...

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Are you sure its not an NP435 or 445? I'm not
familiar with an NP4530. The older Dodge FSM's
call for 90W gear oil with 140W for extremely
hot conditions. Newer FSM's call for SAE 50
engine oil with 90W & 140W recommended for hot
climates. Do you know what vintage this tranny is?
John

Post by Guest »

Nope. I figured this might stump a few people... Straight off the plate (in good condition):

New Process Gear, Co.
Syracuse, NY
Model 4530 Ratio 456
Serial 363328 Assem. No. 7 16 71
I believe the assembly number is the date. The case measures 16.5 inches long, 9-10 inches wide, and the bottom to top height (not counting the height of the shifter column) is 14 inches. It also weighs, um, heavy. I'll see if I can post a picture in a day or two. As mentioned before, it does indeed have 23 splines; I triple checked.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

NP4350? Uh-huh. You near farm country by any chance? Dimensions spec out as a 2.5 ton truck transmission.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

Coelacanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rochester
State: MN

Post by Coelacanth »

I could have sworn I had replied to this thread that I had started months ago... Thanks to WD for coming up with the pedigree of this one. The model tag is in excellent shape and it is not an NP435. I'll try to post a picture later, but it is a brute. The casing measures 16 inches long (not counting the in- or out- shafts and the bottom of the casing 11 inches not counting the casin top. Overall, it is 28 inches long from tip of input shaft to front half of the u-joint mount on the output shaft, and 17 inches from the bottom of the casing to the top of the pillar for the shift stick. It is plenty for two guys to carry. Another friend found a bit of info and found that it has synchros in all four gears, including the granny gear. As for the year, the tag is stamped 7/16/71 and the ratio is 4.56. This was given to me in Greenfield, MA. It is semi rural, but this could have been from anywhere over the years.

I have thought about putting it in my 69', but I didn't want to have to notch the top of the cab to accomodate the thing...
69 3/4ton Camper Special, 383 Manual (converted), PS, 175,000 and running like a sewing machine... usually...