65 d100 disc brake conversion (Front Brakes) only

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: chico ca

65 d100 disc brake conversion (Front Brakes) only

Post by rd200 »

This is my wifes new truck. She does not like how the vehicle stops.

First question, will changing front brakes to disc add much stopping power. The truck does not have power brakes.

Second question is there a source that can sell me a package that can be swapped out for the current drum brakes using the existing brake lines if possible.

I am not looking at a build your own type set up.

any info would be appreciated....

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Re: 65 d100 disc brake conversion (Front Brakes) only

Post by jimmy »

Scarebird is the only one I know of, my brother used it on his 69' D100 with out power and they work great and much safer than drums.

Check the articals in this section titled (thank you Scarebird) and (Scarebird conversion). Their are some good pictures as well as info.
Jimmy

65' Satellite 383 4spd
65' Satellite 440 727
69 Power Wagon Crew Cab

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

AAJ offers a kit but you still need to make new brake lines to adapt to the hoses.

www.aajbrakes.com

FWIW - i think the scarbird system is cleaner to install. i have the AAJ kit on my truck and i am quite pleased with the stopping power. i would suspect a power booster would take it to a whole new level...
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

JimsRatRod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by JimsRatRod »

Just got my Scarebird backer plates.....$135.00.

1959-71 Dodge Y2 ton Pickup, 1964-70 A100 % ton w/22001b axle
Front Disc brake conversion
1. Crack front wheel nuts loose, chock up rear wheels. Jack up front end of car, support outer
control arms with jackstands. Remove front wheels, drum/hub assembly. Put a few drops of
penetrant oil, such as AeroKroil on brakeline nuts where they screw into rubber lines.
2. Take drum/hub assembly and remove drum by using a swedge cutter on the base of the studs,
then pressing out and discarding studs. Clean off wheel surface and register with wire wheel or
bead blaster. Machine outer edge of hub flange to fit inside rotor with about 0.010" loose fit. This
is important, as it is what centers the rotor on the hub. A 100 hubs will not require machining.
Replace studs with X" longer or more studs. Mopar used several different suppliers for the
drums, and they had 3 different sized studs. Dorman 610-103 is one. Best approach is to use an
ARP or Moser stud and cut down to length.
3. Disconnect brake flexible line at frame by unscrewing hardline nut with flare wrench, then
removing nut. Undo and remove drum retaining bolts. Remove drum backing plate, hose and all
drum hardware in one assembly. Clean off spindle assembly well.
4. Place adapter plate over spindle with caliper bolt retaining nut welds facing inward, and caliper
opening to the rear (A 100 faces forward). Make sure no dirt is lodged between spindle and plate.
There was some variance in the spindle's lower bolt holes, so we left the holes small. Drill out to
match spindle hole size.
5. Verify that rotor lays flat against hub by fitting rotor backwards onto hub. If the stud knurls
interfere with rotor, countersink stud holes in rotor to clear knurls.
6. Clean and repack wheel bearings. Install new seal. Assemble hub onto spindle, tighten outer nut
to spec, then secure with keeper, new cotter pin and dustcap.
7. Place rotor onto hub, and run two or three lugnuts down finger tight to retain rotor. Wipe down
rotor with alcohol, lacquer thinner or other cleaner.
8. Wash hands! Rotor must be squeaky clean.
9. Slide assembly into caliper bracket. We recommend buying loaded calipers. Tighten caliper bolts
~.""..;:;:~_ to _35f09t-pounds. Check fit~t and ro~t9[10 c-M£.k,.clearance~stall flexJi!1e-s. -_~
e- < - 10. Master cylinder and proportioning valve specs are quite varied. I would recommend 1972 OIW
100 or similar disc master cylinder for best performance match available in both power and
manual flavors. Plumb in an adjustable proportion valve in the line going to the rear cylinders, or
use a disc proportioning valve if rears suffer from excessive lockup in panic stops.
11. Bench bleed disc master cylinder. Mount MC on car, then gravity bleed entire system first to
eliminate most of the air, then pump bleed and test, otherwise your distribution block may jam
from a pressure imbalance.
12. Replace wheels, install lug nuts, lower car and torque nuts to spec. Test drive carefully- no hard
stops, a series of 30 smooth stops from 30 mph, with a 30 second cooling period between stops
will bed in the pads properly. Let cool for an hour after finished bedding.
Part Application NAPA Wagner Raybestos
Rotor 1995-97 Ford Crown Vic front
Caliper, LH 1988-91 GMC 1500 Reg. Cab
Caliper, RH 1988-91 GMC 1500 Reg. Cab

Brake Hose LH 1979-82 Chevy G10 Van
Brake Hose RH 1979-82 Chevy G10 Van
Banjo Bolt 1988-91 GMC 1500 Reg. Cab

Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC 9 December 2008 Rev B

rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: chico ca

Post by rd200 »

Thanks for the imput. After reading all that and given my curent mechanical skill level the whole idea of front disc brakes has been officially terminated. I told the wife she will just need to have more space
between her and the vehicle in front. I also happen to have spare front bumper just in case...

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

The Scarebird conversion was about as easy as it gets.

All the parts for the kit I ordered from AutoZone (minus the backing plates). I would guess that !00% total final cost was less than $300. Though it can be done more cheaply if you enjoy your time in the junk yard.

The stopping difference is unexplainable. The closest I can get in words are: 1) my wife refused to drive the truck before and now she has no problem, & 2) I drive it around in Atlanta with all of our terrible traffic without any fear.

The work is worth it.

The work is worth it.

The work is worth it.
:2cents

Daddiojoe
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Daddiojoe »

Chilort is absolutely right. I like the brakes on my truck better than the ones on my wife's Mazda Tribute. The Scarebird kit really isn't that hard to install.

One big suggestion---don't scrimp on new brake hoses. I got a pair of braided stainless steel hoses made custom and they have a huge impact.

Back when I had my Sportster I replaced the front brake hose with braided stainless and it made a big difference in that application, too. You get less give in the walls of the hose so all of your effort goes directly to the caliper.

Yep, Scarebird rules.

Joe
1971 4-eyed Shortbed D100 225 /6 727 AT 3.23 rear running on Sweet Lady Propane

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

if your uncomfortable with the replacing drum for disc, you can buy a power booster at the local part store $125.00 which will give you results better than drum, and close to the disc. :Thumbsup

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Hey Robin, do you have an application for that b/c I can't get anything to pop up when I look for boosters up until the 70's trucks... :study

15austin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 64836
State: MO

Post by 15austin »

If I went to the part store to get the calipers do I get the loaded calipers or the regular calipers?? What is the difference?
1969 D-100 Adventurer (with 70/71 grill), 383/727, Weiand Action Plus Intake, 600 carb, Hedman 79250 Headers, Factory A/C, PS, 8 3/4 (489)with 3.23 gears.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

loaded come with pads.
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:if your uncomfortable with the replacing drum for disc, you can buy a power booster at the local part store $125.00 which will give you results better than drum, and close to the disc. :Thumbsup
If you have any part numbers on these boosters would be helpful to me as well.

Scott
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

JimsRatRod wrote:Just got my Scarebird backer plates.....$135.00.

1. Crack front wheel nuts loose, chock up rear wheels. Jack up front end of car, support outer
control arms with jackstands. Remove front wheels, drum/hub assembly. Put a few drops of
penetrant oil, such as AeroKroil on brakeline nuts where they screw into rubber lines.
2. Take drum/hub assembly and remove drum by using a swedge cutter on the base of the studs,
then pressing out and discarding studs. Clean off wheel surface and register with wire wheel or
bead blaster. Machine outer edge of hub flange to fit inside rotor with about 0.010" loose fit. This
is important, as it is what centers the rotor on the hub. A 100 hubs will not require machining.
Replace studs with X" longer or more studs. Mopar used several different suppliers for the
drums, and they had 3 different sized studs. Dorman 610-103 is one. Best approach is to use an
3. Disconnect brake flexible line at frame by unscrewing hardline nut with flare wrench, then
removing nut. Undo and remove drum retaining bolts. Remove drum backing plate, hose and all
4. Place adapter plate over spindle with caliper bolt retaining nut welds facing inward, and caliper
opening to the rear (A 100 faces forward). Make sure no dirt is lodged between spindle and plate.
There was some variance in the spindle's lower bolt holes, so we left the holes small. Drill out to
match spindle hole size.
5. Verify that rotor lays flat against hub by fitting rotor backwards onto hub. If the stud knurls
6. Clean and repack wheel bearings. Install new seal. Assemble hub onto spindle, tighten outer nut
7. Place rotor onto hub, and run two or three lugnuts down finger tight to retain rotor. Wipe down
9. Slide assembly into caliper bracket. We recommend buying loaded calipers. Tighten caliper bolts
~.""..;:;:~_ to _35f09t-pounds. Check fit~t and ro~t9[10 c-M£.k,.clearance~stall flexJi!1e-s. -_~
e- < - 10. Master cylinder and proportioning valve specs are quite varied. I would recommend 1972 OIW
100 or similar disc master cylinder for best performance match available in both power and
manual flavors. Plumb in an adjustable proportion valve in the line going to the rear cylinders, or
use a disc proportioning valve if rears suffer from excessive lockup in panic stops.
11. Bench bleed disc master cylinder. Mount MC on car, then gravity bleed entire system first to
eliminate most of the air, then pump bleed and test, otherwise your distribution block may jam
12. Replace wheels, install lug nuts, lower car and torque nuts to spec. Test drive carefully- no hard
stops, a series of 30 smooth stops from 30 mph, with a 30 second cooling period between stops

Outstanding!!
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

Grodr625
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle
State: WA

Post by Grodr625 »

HellBellyD100 wrote:
JimsRatRod wrote:Just got my Scarebird backer plates.....$135.00.

match spindle hole size.

Outstanding!!
ditto! I'm getting ready for this conversion and wondering why scarebird couldn't provide a write up like this? I have a question regarding brake hose and brake line size... what is it?! I would love to replace at least all the brake line to the fronts (stainless or aluminum) and get braided brake hose, anyone know what size brake line and what specs of brake hose are needed for a '66 d100?

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

Grodr625 wrote:
ditto! I'm getting ready for this conversion and wondering why scarebird couldn't provide a write up like this? I have a question regarding brake hose and brake line size... what is it?! I would love to replace at least all the brake line to the fronts (stainless or aluminum) and get braided brake hose, anyone know what size brake line and what specs of brake hose are needed for a '66 d100?
The hard line is just 1/4". I ordered something like 20' from Summit. Be sure to be careful with all of the fittings because some of them are not that easy to find these days. You likely can find all new if you need to but a few minutes with a can of PB Blaster is likely to save you several hours of hunting down fittings.

I have no idea what the size of the soft line is though so I'm no help there.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

Post by Jake66 »

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/0805c ... _disaster/

This shows the whole application. But it doesn't give you anything as far as diameter of the brake hoses and the like. But It does show you some very helpful info. At least it did for me. Currently in the process of removing the original brakes having a difficult time with lower backing plate mounting bolts. forty plus years of corrosion is alot of fun when you dont have a press.
1966 Dodge D100 Custom SC SWB
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bakersfield
State: CA

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

Has anybody done these on the stock wheels, and if so were there any clearance issues? I'm looking to do this but I'm running on the stock rims.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

HAIRYBIKINI wrote:Has anybody done these on the stock wheels, and if so were there any clearance issues? I'm looking to do this but I'm running on the stock rims.

if your doing stock you might want to look at using a wheel spacer, the stock rims don't have the amount of clearance you need for the caliper. and you wont be able to put the wheel back on the truck unless you use a spacer. if you use your stock hubs and replace the studs it will provide plenty of length to use a spacer.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bakersfield
State: CA

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

Jake66 wrote:
HAIRYBIKINI wrote:Has anybody done these on the stock wheels, and if so were there any clearance issues? I'm looking to do this but I'm running on the stock rims.

if your doing stock you might want to look at using a wheel spacer, the stock rims don't have the amount of clearance you need for the caliper. and you wont be able to put the wheel back on the truck unless you use a spacer. if you use your stock hubs and replace the studs it will provide plenty of length to use a spacer.
Good to hear. Any recommendations on where to source the spacers? I just ordered everything (I hope).

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

HAIRYBIKINI wrote:
Jake66 wrote:

Good to hear. Any recommendations on where to source the spacers? I just ordered everything (I hope).

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... =SRE100600

this should direct you to a list of spacers that summit racing has available. im sure jegs or even jc whitney have some as well. i can do some looking around for you.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White