A100 4x4???

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: El Centro (of nowhere)
State: CA

A100 4x4???

Post by DavidWymore »

Anyone ever seen this done? Would the 4x4 parts from a truck swap in reasonably easy? Have a machine and welding shop and a brain. :lol:
Last edited by DavidWymore on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: A100 4x4???

Post by DavidWymore »

A friend of mine's. Dig it. Engine is on it's way to the rebuilder.

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

Probably been over 20 years ago now, but I saw one going down the road with a 4wd front axle under it. Looked like he just put it up to the stock front springs, then lifted the back to level it out. TIre size appeared to be no bigger than 235/75R15's. Obviously I wasn't able to chase the guy down, and I never saw the truck again. :pale

I'm sure it could be done, you just have to find what's the best fit. I'd look under Scout 2's, early Broncos, Early Land Cruisers, etc. Bound to be one close enough to the right width to make it work. Then worry about the transfer case, as the axle you choose will determine which side the transfer case needs to drop on. :thinking :study

Keep us posted! :Thumbsup
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DavidWymore »

Is an A100 not the same width as a pickup?

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

DavidWymore wrote:Is an A100 not the same width as a pickup?
No, I believe it's narrower, but don't quote me.
Jeff Easterbrook
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DavidWymore »

I guess I could walk my butt out there with a tape and crawl around in the dirt and compare it to my D100. :lol:

eralov
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by eralov »

i am working on a 67 a108
the front springs are actually wider than a standard pickup
about 36 1/2" for the a series
most dodge 4x4 rigs are 32 1/2"
the ford 90's f-350 dana 60 is the right spring perch width, but the axle is a driver's drop ad transfer case is a problem
also the added length of a transfer case makes the rear driveline very short, good for a street rig or a novelty, but bad for a true off-road rig
also the van is unibody, making for a weak platform and one should expect many broken spot welds
i am building a pair of subframes and will be tying them together after the ride height is set
i will be moving the front axle back 4 to 6 inches and tubbing the front and rear fenders a bit
if you are doing a 90" wheelbase rig, your rear driveline will be short to the point of unrelialability and the front fender has no room fo move back and the door will not allow tubbing
i am also having problems beefing up the tranny mount to support the transfer case, i will be most likely adding a crossmember and using a dana 300 or a np 205 transfer case as they are the only short transfer case that i would consider using behind a v8
any questions email me at eralov1@comcast.net, i can send pictures of my current progress

eralov
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by eralov »

here a couple of pictures of my current a's

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

WOW!! :clap Very nice rides!!!
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

Very Cool!

With the A-series being unibody have you looked into the Jeep designs? Many of the SUVs are that way. I would imagine if you did a sub frame in the center you could use control arms w/ coils. This would also give you a smoother ride. In the rear you could make a 3 or 4 link using that same center frame concept. I can link you to different 4x4 sites that will better explain my thinking if you want. As far as wheelbase goes the Jeep TJ, YJ, etc etc have under a 90" wheelbase and do fine, if you lift the van high (which I doubt you will) you would have to use a double cardoin jount for the extreme angles. This is a really cool idea, I like it!

Another idea would be to look into the VW Syncros for ideas. Those vans are unibody and 4WD, however they are 4 wheel independent suspension.

eralov
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by eralov »

i use my other 4x4 for serious offroad, and if i build this van i'm gonna have at least 3/4 running gear under it so i can tow my rig to the trail
that eliminated pretty much any unibody style vehicle's suspension for parts robbing
if i do a 3 or 4 link, it will probably be a ladder bar style, but i still am unsure of that
i will probably use leaf springs, as they are inexpensive and easy to work with
i would love a linked rig, but the stock frame is not up to it
i say that as i have had a leaf spring hanger pull off of my minihome, and my 66 a100 (r.i.p.) was used for mild trail running managed to break a frame rail off of the body and the doors never did shut right again
i could remove the sheetmetal frame that is there, but it will be easier to build subframes unless i can get access to a rotisserie
everyone else tells my it would be easier to use my suburban, but few people have a 4x4 60's van

eralov
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by eralov »

oh, and as to the jeep wheelbase, those rigs are not mid engined, their engine is 12-18 inches farther forward, that is the space that the rear driveline needs for any articulation
but, i do appreiciate any new ideas, this project has been on hold way to long
after i get a new engine in the minihome, and new wood paneling in it, and a new fuel tank that dosen't leak, (and no i am not using the one out of the blue van) i might be able to work on the 4x4 van
and all of this is dependent on me not breaking the off road rig, the family car, or any other projects that are higher on the todo list

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

Why not take the coils from a 3/4 ton Dodge for the front and do leaf rear? I don't have a A-series to look at or I would be more help in ideas. Can you take pics of the underside please?

eralov
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by eralov »

frame is two 3" x 5" u-shaped framerails running front to back on 36" center 33" between, and 39" outside to outside
i will get a picture later today, as my minihome is already on ramps in the front end

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

eralov wrote:frame is two 3" x 5" u-shaped framerails running front to back on 36" center 33" between, and 39" outside to outside
i will get a picture later today, as my minihome is already on ramps in the front end

I kind of get it.... but will wait for pics as they always help

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

eralov wrote:oh, and as to the jeep wheelbase, those rigs are not mid engined, their engine is 12-18 inches farther forward, that is the space that the rear driveline needs for any articulation...
After reading this I thought of something kinda wild that might work for ya. How about putting the body on backwards, and building an engine cover area in the back? :thinking The biggest thing that would need to be done is to get reverse cut gears for the axles. Shouldn't be too hard to locate, especially if you used a J**p chassis, as there's tons of stuff like that out there. I kinda think of the engine cover area like the old VW Bus' were, that covered the whole area and allowed you to put a bed or whatever back there.

As far as the wheel opening in the front, if you used a rear shackle set-up on the front axle, the movement would be upward and rearward. So you could much more easily enlarge the opening in that direction than the other way. But if you kept your tires a reasonable size, the body lift required to mount it on the chassis should allow enough room for tire tuck during greater articulation situations. :study :thinking
Jeff Easterbrook
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

eralov
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by eralov »

sorry for the delay, weather is finicky right now
the rear suspension is simpler, and i could just relocate the spring perches

eralov
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by eralov »

OregonDodgeboy wrote:
eralov wrote:oh, and as to the jeep wheelbase, those rigs are not mid engined, their engine is 12-18 inches farther forward, that is the space that the rear driveline needs for any articulation...
After reading this I thought of something kinda wild that might work for ya. How about putting the body on backwards, and building an engine cover area in the back? :thinking The biggest thing that would need to be done is to get reverse cut gears for the axles. Shouldn't be too hard to locate, especially if you used a J**p chassis, as there's tons of stuff like that out there. I kinda think of the engine cover area like the old VW Bus' were, that covered the whole area and allowed you to put a bed or whatever back there.

As far as the wheel opening in the front, if you used a rear shackle set-up on the front axle, the movement would be upward and rearward. So you could much more easily enlarge the opening in that direction than the other way. But if you kept your tires a reasonable size, the body lift required to mount it on the chassis should allow enough room for tire tuck during greater articulation situations. :study :thinking

problem is that i am unibody, and have no frame to move around
as for the jeep stuff, neat idea, i've even located a jeep forward control rig, but after looking at that i want to restore it...
i could use some big axles, like rockwells, but the brakes are then a huge issue

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

eralov wrote:...problem is that i am unibody, and have no frame to move around
as for the jeep stuff, neat idea, i've even located a jeep forward control rig, but after looking at that i want to restore it...
i could use some big axles, like rockwells, but the brakes are then a huge issue
Well, I was thinking of just a CJ frame, probably a 5, so the wheelbase would be close. I wasn't thinking of using a frame from one of those forward control Jeeps. But it may be better suited for this, if you want to try to keep the motor in the right spot. :thinking :study

Actually what I was thinking was to make some triangulated stands from the frame that go up to a short piece of horizontally mounted tubing with a rubber bushing inside at the top. It would simulate the spring eyes, and it would bolt to your unibody frame in these 8 locations. :study :salut
Jeff Easterbrook
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

eralov
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by eralov »

the subframes i have been thinking of would use the stock spring hangers, not so much as for a bolt on installation, but to avoid welding to the thin unibody