Crown Victoria front IFS swap?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Crown Victoria front IFS swap?

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

I have waited a couple of days after finding out about this before I posted it. Mainly because I wanted to check things out first. But this swap is KILLER!!!! :Thumbsup

I found a thread on a diesel board I frequent. The guy is building a 67 F**d SWB pick-up. He's swapping in an Isuzu diesel, along with a very cool IFS swap that seems to be becoming a popular swap for F trucks. You need an '03 and up Crown VIc. The entire front suspension is attached to an aluminum crossmember with a power rack and pinion steering mounted on the front. It has two big "pads" where it rests against the frame, and attaches with four big bolts that drop down through the frame and thread into the crossmember (from what I can tell). The coolest thing about this is that the area between the spring towers is about 35 1/2 inches. He writes that his frame is 34 inches and he has about 1.5 inches to "play with". So, needless to say, it should be an easy bolt up. :clap :Thumbsup

Here's a link that takes you directly to his build-up thread (on a F**d truck BB, sorry. :pale :lol: ):

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/71605 ... -f100.html

This may entirely change the way we update our trucks.
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Re: Crown Victoria front IFS swap?

Post by motomatt383 »

keepin' it to yourself!! shame on you !

i just spent an 1/2 hour reading that whole thing! that does appear to be a KILLER swap. i wish i had access to a Crown Vic. aluminum K-member, rack & pinion, 12" rotors!, with the Marauder package probably some better spring rates!.

i'd like to see more of this. matter of fact i'm gonna google it!!!

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

That does look pretty sweet..
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

taintedspeed
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by taintedspeed »

it looks good my only question is what is the original height of of the upper arm in relation to the lower. it looks like he just bolted them to the top of the frame rail. that may be fine if the measurements are right but if they arent it will screw with the geometry and may make it impossible to align. so that is my big question and i will post on the ford sight so we may find out. i like it though. good times
all mopar all the time

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

GOOD STUFF Jeff ! :goodpost :Thumbsup

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

taintedspeed wrote:it looks good my only question is what is the original height of of the upper arm in relation to the lower. it looks like he just bolted them to the top of the frame rail. that may be fine if the measurements are right but if they arent it will screw with the geometry and may make it impossible to align. so that is my big question and i will post on the ford sight so we may find out. i like it though. good times
Well, if I am seeing things correctly, it looks pretty hard to mess this up. If you look at the first picture on post #3, you can see that the upper a-arm is held in place by the bolts that go through the frame to the crossmember. And they are slotted to allow for geometry adjustments fore and aft. So I would guess that a simple alignment one the truck was on it's wheels would suffice until a shop could set it perfectly.

My only question about the geometry issue is in regards to caster angle. Since I have not yet looked through every post, nor looked at these items in person yet, I am wondering about caster angle. But by the looks of that upper a-arm adjustability, it may not be much of a factor. This may be addressed in later posts, so I'll update if I see this question brought up. I'm slowly getting through that long thread. You know, competing commitments. :banghead :lol:
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

wow - that looks very cool.

if i ever did something like that i would take a hard look at that setup - it looks cleaner than the volare clip that so many have done plus you get rack and pinion and ford engineering ;o)
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y