**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
Lucky65
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wichita
State: KS

Drive Train Swap

Post by Lucky65 »

1st post. Finally starting the drive train swap in my early 65 Swepty SWB. Currently has /6 with 4spd. Gonna replace with 69 LA 340 - 727. Question #1. I know that I have to trim back the bellhousing stub frame mounts just enough to clear the TF and then was told to fab & add a spreader to clear TF and also to regain frame rigidity. Would bolting in a full auto trans cross member from a 71 V8 TF swepty be enough to suffice? It appears to pick up upper and lower horz. frame sections. Question #2. How much difference in the motor mount frame brackets from my 65 to the 71 model? I procured a complete but very rusty and beat 71 SWB parts truck with LA 318 & TF.
Thanks for accepting me in.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Drive Train Swap

Post by 712edf »

Welcome!

Pertaining to question #1 The "spanner" piece is how the factory did it when they put automatics in these trucks, and those trucks also had the rear crossmember. I'm not sure if it (the rear crossmember) connected to both the upper/lower horizontal sections of the frame rails. Personally I would think the crossmember alone would suffice.

Question #2 I am not sure if there was a difference between early 65 & 71, or if slang six was different from V8.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Drive Train Swap

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

If you look at that bell crossmember you will see it is attached to the rear leaf spring bracket at the frame. Without the spanner at that point, the frame will be twisting from the leaf springs and engine weight on the frame. Its a long way from the front K member to the auto trans rear crossmember and a midpoint spanner tying the frame together is important.