smack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Orchard Park
State: NY

Power Steering Conversion Kits

Post by smack »

Anyone have any experiences with **NOT ALLOWED**
Vitage power Wagon site sent me to them for a conversion kit from manual to power steering in my 70 W100
Just looking for feedback before I spend the money

Thanks SMack

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Power Steering Conversion Kits

Post by dodgeboykim »

Search power steering etc in group. A long post regarding it.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

smack wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:39 am
Anyone have any experiences with **NOT ALLOWED** LLC
Vitage power Wagon site sent me to them for a conversion kit from manual to power steering in my 70 W100

Thanks SMack
There isn’t a lot out there for power steering that is plug and play.

The guy’s you mentioned are about the only game in town.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

smack wrote:

Thanks SMack
BTW how far from Binghamton is orchard park?
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

smack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by smack »

Thanks guys. I spoke to the guy recommended by Vintage and he seemed pretty straightforward and told me if I had any issues that couldn’t be resolved he’d take the parts back and give me a refund so I think I’m going to go for it. I’ll let you know the outcome.

Binghamton is about 3.5 hrs from Orchard Park

Thanks again
Smack

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

smack wrote:

Thanks SMack
Doug, aka "DigDoug" had done a cross-over type conversion on a W200, as I recall. You might want
to search some of his posts for ideas for your W100. Good to see another Western NY Sweptline owner. There
are a handful of us around these parts. :Thumbsup :welcome

John

IHWillys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Collins
State: CO

Post by IHWillys »

I don't know who the 'not allowed' LLC is.

On my '67 D100 I installed a kit sold by ezsteer on ebay. Overall I am satisfied and I am very happy with the results. There are a few points to note.

The adapter plate holes aligned just right. The adapter plate is flat. While the old housing mounts are in a single plane, they are 'pads' and the frame is dimpled where these sit. With the plate mounted flat against the frame there is a small gap at the bolt holes, particularly the rear one. A spacer to take up the gap there would be good.

The steering input shaft aligns more toward the center of the vehicle by a little over 1/4" vs the original. This was taken up in the adjustable column mounts. I think this is related to the above.

I did not use the supplied u-joint(requires modification to the column) and instead used the OEM rag joint without need for any modification to the column.

The supplied pitman works correctly except the cone for the drag link end was too shallow to get the end far enough through to get a cotter pin in the castellated nut. This would be a simple fix with the correct reamer. I triple safety wired the nut instead.

I had to fabricate part of the mount for the pump, which I knew going in as ezsteer preemptively contacted me about the lack of a mount for the slant 6.

The low pressure return line should be supplied a bit longer. It was barely long enough in my installation. It's easy to cut off excess but not so easy to add in extra length...

The minimum turning radius of the truck is slightly larger now. I assume the new steering gear has slightly less lock to lock rotation than the original. The new pitman appears to be the same length as the old, though I did not check this with scrutiny beyond 'eyeballing' it.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

IHWillys wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:19 am

On my '67 D100 I installed a kit sold by ezsteer on ebay. Overall I am satisfied and I am very happy with the results. There are a few points to note.
Not Allowed is the guy you bought your system from.
As your truck is a D100, it is totally different than a W truck.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

IHWillys wrote:

The adapter plate holes aligned just right. The adapter plate is flat. While the old housing mounts are in a single plane, they are 'pads' and the frame is dimpled where these sit. With the plate mounted flat against the frame there is a small gap at the bolt holes, particularly the rear one. A spacer to take up the gap there would be good.

The steering input shaft aligns more toward the center of the vehicle by a little over 1/4" vs the original. This was taken up in the adjustable column mounts. I think this is related to the above.

I did not use the supplied u-joint(requires modification to the column) and instead used the OEM rag joint without need for any modification to the column.

The supplied pitman works correctly except the cone for the drag link end was too shallow to get the end far enough through to get a cotter pin in the castellated nut. This would be a simple fix with the correct reamer. I triple safety wired the nut instead.

I had to fabricate part of the mount for the pump, which I knew going in as ezsteer preemptively contacted me about the lack of a mount for the slant 6.

The low pressure return line should be supplied a bit longer. It was barely long enough in my installation. It's easy to cut off excess but not so easy to add in extra length...

The minimum turning radius of the truck is slightly larger now. I assume the new steering gear has slightly less lock to lock rotation than the original. The new pitman appears to be the same length as the old, though I did not check this with scrutiny beyond 'eyeballing' it.
I vaguely remember hearing that the pitman arms are a different length between a d and a w truck. By about an inch between the two holes. I can’t confirm this as all my trucks are w series.
There is also a member here that used a ford truck box to convert to P/S.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

smack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by smack »

Much appreciated guys. I’m trying to do my homework and keep the truck looking as original as possible. As it is 99% factory currently. Still in original paint squeeze clamps and even had the original exhaust so my goal is to do it as if it came that way.

Thanks,
Scott

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

IHWillys wrote:
Leaving it that way puts higher loads on the drag link stud and joint. Given how hard to replace a drag link is, there are shops that will do this operation, particularly the people who do 4X4 modifications such as WFO Concepts (https://www.wfoconcepts.com). It's not expensive and the turn-around was good.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

IHWillys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by IHWillys »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:29 pm
IHWillys wrote:

Not Allowed is the guy you bought your system from.
As your truck is a D100, it is totally different than a W truck.
Yeah, the lead question being "Anyone have any experiences with ...", I figured I'd give my account of my own experience with a vendor/product of the same sort of conversion.

Ken

IHWillys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by IHWillys »

Wildergarten wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:56 am
IHWillys wrote:
Leaving it that way puts higher loads on the drag link stud and joint. Given how hard to replace a drag link is, there are shops that will do this operation, particularly the people who do 4X4 modifications such as WFO Concepts (https://www.wfoconcepts.com). It's not expensive and the turn-around was good.
Thanks, hadn't really thought about the increased load on the stud. Something to consider.

Ken

smack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by smack »

Hello everyone, looking for some advice / info / help. I pulled the trigger on the power steering conversion kit from easyblank spoke with Robin several times. Got a parts list and invoice which I payed in full and it’s been nothing but excuses ever since. I don’t want to be a jerk but I don’t know him from Adam. And it’s almost time to pay the credit card statement and again I got nothing. If I dispute the payment I’ll be covered but it’s going to jamb him up with PayPal and I’m not looking to add to any issues he may be having I just want the kit I paid for. Thoughts ? If anyone knows what going on with him let me know.

Thanks

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I am not sure exactly who you are dealing with. I do know certain "entities" names won't appear on this website, but I don't know why they are blocked/censored. And I personally haven't dealt with any other of them.

One rule of thumb I do try to go by is looking at a business's Google reviews. This gives me a good idea about what to expect quality, value & service wise. Of course this doesn't help you now.

If the person is still answering your inquiries that's a good sign. Of course, they could be just feeding you a line of horse *#%^. It's worse when they ignore you altogether.

In September 2022 I ordered a new magneto from Joe Hunt out in California. I was told at the time it would be ready in about 10 days. It actually was 13 months before I got it. But the saving grace was that I wasn't billed for it until they were ready to ship. I had actually given up & stopped asking at around the 6-month point. I too thought I was just hearing excuses, but they were consistent with what the holdup was.

If I were you, I would be up front & say "Hey, if my parts aren't on the way by certain date then I am disputing the charge on the credit card & not paying." They shouldn't have charged you for something that wasn't in inventory. Now if they were custom building this for you then yes, I could see reason for requiring payment up front.

Best of luck

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

712edf wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:18 am
I am not sure exactly who you are dealing with. I do know certain "entities" names won't appear on this website, but I don't know why they are blocked/censored. And I personally haven't dealt with any other of them.
search.php?keywords=mountainmoparrobin

smack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by smack »

Thanks Bucky, I thought I did my homework before I committed but not sure. I can set up a dispute with my card but again not looking to jamb the guy up just want what I payed for.

Much appreciated

Smack.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I remember him from when I first joined this site. And to be honest he was a big poster & contributor to this sight at one time. Not sure why he left, probably had something to do with a conflict of interest or dispute of some sort. Several of the big time member/posters here departed. Even the guys who started it I believe are gone.

Anyways I never have dealt with him but don't recall anyone else having any bad dealings with him.

At times I have seen guys who were upstanding & on top of things get worn down & eventually let things go off of the rails. I am not saying that's the case here, but it does happen.

This site is very similar to a church or social club. People who were at the center of things 20 years ago have drifted away, moved on or even simply passed away. Plus things can shift to other platforms.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

smack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by smack »

Well I called , texted and emailed him yesterday and told him I needed an update or would be forced to dispute the charge so we’ll see. I mean I can handle bad news but no communication after you get my money….and you’ve already missed 3 ship dates?? Cause for concern in my book. So fingers crossed. I’ll let post how it works out, hopefully for the better. He honestly seemed like a good guy when we spoke so hopefully he just has a lot going on and needed a reminder or something. More to come.

Thanks again Bucky,

Smack.

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Post by DukePW »

I am also having trouble with him I ordered a glove box. Charged my credit card now won't pickup the phone or answer emails.