RonHall76
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Spokane
State: WA

Spare Tire Mount in the Bed

Post by RonHall76 »

Hi folks,

Completed a frame off restoration of a 1968 W200. It was a forest service truck with a Braden PTO winch on a heavy duty custom front bumper (used to build a log cabin at one point). Truck had a period farmers lift done on front and back that allows for some decent size tires.

Because of the size (LT255-85R16) tires I want to mount the spare in the front of the bed (inside) against the driver side. 68 bed and frame is at least 6" longer.

Question: Does anybody know of a side wall or stake mount design spare tire carrier? Am I doing a custom design?

FYI - Already have a 1967 W100 with a custom "period" lift that has these size tires with a traditional under mount rear spare (used the factory carrier and modified/lengthened the frame hook ups) and the spare just fits in. ... but it is a pain in the @#% to lift in place.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Spare Tire Mount in the Bed

Post by Wildergarten »

RonHall76 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:01 pm
FYI - Already have a 1967 W100 with a custom "period" lift that has these size tires with a traditional under mount rear spare (used the factory carrier and modified/lengthened the frame hook ups) and the spare just fits in. ... but it is a pain in the @#% to lift in place.
It's a PITA to KEEP it in place too.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Sweptline66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Portland
State: OR

Post by Sweptline66 »

I've been wanting to do the same thing on my 66 W200. My bed has a rust hole in that same corner and I've considered cutting it out to nestle the spare tire (33") in the hole with a fabbed up carrier beneath it. I'm only hesitant because it involves cutting, but it could be reversed later. Like I said, there's a hole already. I'd be interested in what you come up with.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Would keeping the under bed set-up be better if some sort of cranking lift cable was utilized? My Astro van has one & haven't had any issues with it, although my spare is not that large.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

When you need a spare you need a spare. It’s easy to get down. The other tire doesn’t matter, just toss it in the bed.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

712edf wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:15 pm
Would keeping the under bed set-up be better if some sort of cranking lift cable was utilized?
I've never had good luck with those. They bind, the cables rust and the one on my current truck has never been used because I can't get it down.

There were some sweptlines with a bed mounted tire carrier. It was basically a metal bar that attached to the bed and a rod in the center either went through a lug hole or the center hole of the wheel. A nut attached the wheel to the bar.

RonHall76
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by RonHall76 »

Hi folks,

Update - Good progress

Per the start of the thread, the spare tire mount became part of what I was doing/planning in the bed after I made it impossible to mount the spare underneath in the factory location because I moved the dual exhaust tail pipe exits further back behind the rear tires (for sound in the cab).

Lucky enough to be old enough to have enough "spare" trucks for various reasons.

Sweptline projects grew out of the fact that I wanted some open back pickups to compliment the Dodge 1st Gen Cummins I have had since new that has a cap on the back. Which I used for work and hauling.

The home/house 67 W100 short bed Power Wagon I have is restored mechanically, but rat rod body. Currently listed on Craigslist (not on the Forum yet) https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/ma ... 71384.html It has an extra battery up front, which I use to power an electric winch in a custom push bumper. I put traditional period toolbox in the back to carry gear and work tools. It mounts to the top of the bed and there is room under it to slide stuff or mount a spare fuel tank (which I have but did not hook up). Spare tire mounts under the back because dual exhaust comes out in front of the rear tires.

The long bed - W200 1968 Forest Service truck - came with a Braden PTO winch. I hooked up a spare battery in it because I wanted to put a headache rack/light bar set up on it for work/play. I had a period correct Knack/Job box that I could use in the back to carry gear.

Just over the past few weeks it got warm enough in the barn (where the wood shop is) to take a single sheet of pressurized plywood and build a bed protector/mounting surface in the front section of the bed. I placed/mounted the Knack box on to this. Yesterday I filled out the back section with custom fit used driving range mats I picked up for free years ago (have a bunch of them down in front of the work benches in the shop and barn.

Spent the winter looking on Craigslist for a headache rack. Want to have one that I can mount via the stake holes and make removable. Finally located one for a reasonable price. Just need to modify the stake pocket mounts to fit the Power Wagon.

Big news for this tread is that I located a bed mount "no drill" vertical tire rack, for a reasonable price. Will give it a try, and enhance with a Harbor Freight tire chuck. If it does not work/hold the tire satisfactorily, I have a next step plan mind to expand the headache rack and incorporate a spare tire. Will try and post some pics of progress. Ordering the "Tire Buddy" today.

Make it a good day.

TIP - If you want to stay happily married and keep a few extra vehicles ... always keep one listed for sale.

https://titanfueltanks.com/products/tit ... dy-9901330