DodgePodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dallas
State: TX

In dash shifter issues

Post by DodgePodge »

Greetings!
I have a 65 D200 with in dash shifter. I could engaged PRND all within the P and N range. Seeking the gears.... Now, after I shifted the shifter up and down a few times Full range motion from the P setting to low and back, it will only now engage in Low 1.
Any help to clean or adjust is greatly appreciated

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Re: In dash shifter issues

Post by chilort »

Broken cable?

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

It should be a 2 cable shifter. Is PARK working or is it in neutral at any point? IS it in gear only in first and reverse? or just 1st? Have you done a pan drop and filter change?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Get the book.
Factory Service Manual.
http://www.autobooksbishko.com/

DodgePodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgePodge »

jeffc57 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:23 am
It should be a 2 cable shifter. Is PARK working or is it in neutral at any point? IS it in gear only in first and reverse? or just 1st? Have you done a pan drop and filter change?
Paperwork show the previous owner had the transmission serviced 6 years ago. I do not know what "service" was so I will be changing the fluid and filter. The gear selector would find P, R, N and Ds. Since I ran the selector full range, it will Park and Low gear only.

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jeffc57 »

first and reveres use same band inside the trans, so may only be a "detente" adjustment were the cable enters the trans.
Trans service would be drop the pan and replace filter and lost fluid/gasket.
I will assume the kickdown is hooked up and adjusted, has the carburetor been replaced since you got the truck and is it is stock stromberg ?
Trans fluid level up to the mark when running warmed up neutral, not park, nice clean clear light red fluid with no black specks in fluid?

just trying to eliminate possible issues, assuming it was running right when you got it.

DodgePodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgePodge »

I found 2 cables. No evidence of anything broke. Only Drive and somewhat of a Park works. Most of gear selector tension in felt from P to N. Then it feels loose as you lower the selector

jeffc57 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:55 am
first and reveres use same band inside the trans, so may only be a "detente" adjustment were the cable enters the trans.
Trans service would be drop the pan and replace filter and lost fluid/gasket.
I will assume the kickdown is hooked up and adjusted, has the carburetor been replaced since you got the truck and is it is stock stromberg ?
Trans fluid level up to the mark when running warmed up neutral, not park, nice clean clear light red fluid with no black specks in fluid?

just trying to eliminate possible issues, assuming it was running right when you got it.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Get underneath and watch the cables while someone inside operates the shifter. If a cable doesn't move, then its broken, likely where it connects to the shifter. Or you can remove the shifter from the dash and examine it while you operate it to see if the cables move. Its a simple process to determine if they're broken or not; hell to get a replacement and fix it if they are.

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jeffc57 »

In general I agree with PWD, However, since the cable enters the case you will not be able to see the cable at the trans end, you should be able to hear it shift inside the case with a automotive stethoscope, or by ear ( last year of this application, only year with 2 cables ). If it turns out that the trans needs a rebuild make sure that the shop uses the same valve body that is in the trans, as it is a one year only valve body and hard to find; all other part should be available for a rebuild.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston

Post by Txas2step »

jeffc57 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:52 am
In general I agree with PWD, However, since the cable enters the case you will not be able to see the cable at the trans end, you should be able to hear it shift inside the case with a automotive stethoscope, or by ear ( last year of this application, only year with 2 cables ). If it turns out that the trans needs a rebuild make sure that the shop uses the same valve body that is in the trans, as it is a one year only valve body and hard to find; all other part should be available for a rebuild.
Shift cable at the transmission is external. Easy to see the shift lever move through all positions as Terry mentioned. :Thumbsup
Attachments
IMG_7502 (2).JPG
IMG_7502 (2).JPG (14.19 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jeffc57 »

On a 65 trans the cable goes inside the trans and the photo posted in the above post is for 66 and up trans, https://imageevent.com/jeffc/techstuff3 ... =4&x=0&p=7 shown in photo 8

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston

Post by Txas2step »

jeffc57 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:17 am
On a 65 trans the cable goes inside the trans and the photo posted in the above post is for 66 and up trans, https://imageevent.com/jeffc/techstuff3 ... =4&x=0&p=7 shown in photo 8
:Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

DodgePodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgePodge »

Txas2step wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:13 am
jeffc57 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:52 am
Shift cable at the transmission is external. Easy to see the shift lever move through all positions as Terry mentioned. :Thumbsup
The Gear Shift Cable broke at the selector. Now what?

DodgePodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgePodge »

DodgePodge wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:25 pm
Greetings!
I have a 65 D200 with in dash shifter. I could engaged PRND all within the P and N range. Seeking the gears.... Now, after I shifted the shifter up and down a few times Full range motion from the P setting to low and back, it will only now engage in Low 1.
Any help to clean or adjust is greatly appreciated
Turns out the Gear Shift Cable broke at the selector. Broke right at the connector Now what?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls

Post by 712edf »

That is likely something that will have to be fabricated. Not sure who does that kind of thing, but cables are still used in gear shifter & parking brake applications.

Since you still have yours at least it can be used as a pattern for a new one.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

think summit racing has a universal cable kit
make sure its long enough

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jeffc57 »

might check with Wildcat Mopars in Sandy,Oregon, can look them up, closed Sunday and Monday https://www.wildcatmopars.com/

DodgePodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgePodge »

nutz wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:37 pm
think summit racing has a universal cable kit
make sure its long enough
universal for 2 cable shifting?Awesome!

DodgePodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgePodge »

jeffc57 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:27 am
might check with Wildcat Mopars in Sandy,Oregon, can look them up, closed Sunday and Monday https://www.wildcatmopars.com/
Great!