**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Steering Hangs Up (manual steering)

Post by 64D100Poly »

Sometimes when I drive my 64 D100 upon coming out of a left turn and the wheel is winding clockwise to center position it will snag and lock up, forcing it will break it free. seems to do kind of randomly, almost never when its hot out, seems like when it's cold it'll do it for a while then stop and work fine, anybody have this issue? sounds like it's coming from the column opposed to the box, I checked and no linkages are binding. I have a feeling its something with the blinker return mechanism, it works fine but the sound seems to be in that general location.
A grinder & paint make me the welder I ain't

-1965 (early) D100 Sweptline Daily
-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
-1968 Barracuda Formula S
OO\===/OO

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Re: Steering Hangs Up (manual steering)

Post by nutz »

is there any play in the upper steering shaft bushing

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Steering Hangs Up (manual steering)

Post by dodgeboykim »

64D100Poly wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:43 pm
Sometimes when I drive my 64 D100 upon coming out of a left turn and the wheel is winding clockwise to center position it will snag and lock up, forcing it will break it free. seems to do kind of randomly, almost never when its hot out, seems like when it's cold it'll do it for a while then stop and work fine, anybody have this issue? sounds like it's coming from the column opposed to the box, I checked and no linkages are binding. I have a feeling its something with the blinker return mechanism, it works fine but the sound seems to be in that general location.
To me that sounds like a steering box issue . Check it.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.