**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

AC Complete!

Post by 68swep »

I finally got my AC installed along with an aluminum radiator and electric fan. Its works great! I do notice a loss in power when the ac is running, to be expected. My next step is I would love power steering. There is a guy here in North Carolina, https://normsspeedshop.com/ that has all kinds of different power steering set ups along with all the different brackets I might need. I looked into a short ratio steering box but to my understanding a sort ratio would make parking tough?

I guess my question now it if I go with a kit from Norms will I lose a lot more power? Are there any other options? And finally, if I do get power steering and lose more power would a good way to try to combat that be manifold with a 2 barrel and maybe a header? So far I've only seen Aussie Speed who sells these and they are pricey. All thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Attachments
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 910 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 910 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 910 times
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (41.26 KiB) Viewed 910 times
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 910 times

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: AC Complete!

Post by martincom »

The factory power steering was not a power steering gear, but rather a power assist. So it retains the manual steering gear. The drag link, between the pitman arm and the left steering knuckle is replaced with a sensing valve. A hydraulic cylinder is clamped to the tire rod. My '71 came equipped with that. It works OK. It is as not much assist as a power steering gear, especially when stopped and turning the wheels, but definitely a whole lot better than just manual steering. As it retains the manual steering gear, the steering still has the slowwwwww manual ratio.

If it were me, I'd go with a power steering gear kit. The steering ratio/speed will be much quicker and that would be a big plus.

Presently, I believe there are three power steering kits actively being marketed. An Ebay seller, EZsteer, offers a kit with a power steering gear. His kit utilizes a U-joint between the gear and the column and will result in the column moving into the cab quite a bit, which will create issues with the column shifting levers, if your truck has that. It will also create interference issues between the steering wheel and an enlarged stomach. There also has been reported fitment issues with the pump mounts. There is a YouTube video of a partial installation of this kit, the last time I checked.

CPP offers a kit on ebay, but not their web page. It utilizes a rag joint, rather than a U-joint to couple the gear to the column. It will still move the column into the cab, but less than inch. If you have an automatic column shifter, you will have to modify the shift arm at the end of the column tube. There is at least one YouTube video of this kit's installation.

Easy space Street also offer a gear kit and they would be my recommendation. They are a sweptline specialty store and there experience will save you a lot of time and frustration with things like pump brackets, pulleys, etc. The Easy space Street kit may be the same as the CPP kit. There is discussion/reviews of their kit on their Facebook page as well as a YouTube video.

The power steering pump will not have any discernible impact on engine power, except when you run the steering over to a lock and the pressure relief activates within the pump. It'll be a barely discernible slow down of the engine then. Any of the power steering gears in the above kits would perform as expected when parking.

Another option is electric power steering. Red383 authored a great thread on his installation of a Prius electric power power steering unit on his sweptline. It requires some minor fabrication. It was certainly affordable, about $300, by his numbers. The only pitfall would be you'd still have the slow speed of the manual steering gear.

https://www.sweptline.org/forums/viewto ... 20&t=44140
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Re: AC Complete!

Post by nutz »

the fix to the p/s engine load problem is to add a p/s switch in the high pressure ps hose
when you in a high p/s demand it will cut out the a/c clutch so the engine won't stall
it looks like a nice install ,is that a sanden compressor
when i get mine done a/c is a must
think p/s will be first ..cause i plan on some flat tires and 3 on the tree