**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

New AC

Post by 68swep »

My 68 does not have any AC components in it at all. I definitely want to get something in there so I can drive around this summer, North Carolina gets hot! I called a local shop who does a lot of work on old cars. They use vintage air and quoted me 3-4k. I know they do good work but this is pricey. Is this about right for a new AC system or do I have other options? I can do some stuff on my own but this sees out of my skill set.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: New AC

Post by martincom »

I agree, it seems high at first thought. However, with wages and overhead what they are, most shop rates are well north of $100/hour. So I could see the labor portion approaching $2K. You may want to checkout some YouTube videos on the installation. This should give you a good overview of the process and what you can do yourself. I remember viewing a sweptline installation and it didn't appear overly complicated.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68swep »

Thats a good point. I guess even if I get it 85% thats less i have to pay a shop. Ill check it out, maybe I can do it all!

bbakernm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rio Rancho
State: NM

Post by bbakernm »

Did you end up doing the Vintage Air?

Curious, I'd like to add AC to my '67. Have just started researching.

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68swep »

I did get a vintage air. I purchased it from a shop in the Charlotte area. They got me everything I needed, except the bracket. I can get you a list of everything I got. It was around $1,100 for everything and another $500 for the ac bracket, (insane price for a bracket)

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Post by 67step100 »

68swep wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:24 pm
I did get a vintage air. I purchased it from a shop in the Charlotte area. They got me everything I needed, except the bracket. I can get you a list of everything I got. It was around $1,100 for everything and another $500 for the ac bracket, (insane price for a bracket)
Maybe you could post that list here. I have also been contemplating the Vintage Air route. I'm sure others would also be interested.