**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

First gear grinding

Post by 68swep »

I have a 68, 225, 3 in the tree. I put a brand new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and flywheel in it a few weeks back. Its been running great. Today I seem to have an issue putting it back into 1st. Im not trying to down shif into first. When I get to a stop, put it in nutral, then try to put it in first its still grinding the gear like the fly wheel is still spinning. It doesnt seem to matter how long I wait. I hit a few lights today where I waited a while and it still grinded when I went to put it in first.

Also, not sure if this is related, but I have the normal power in 1st and 2nr but 3rd seems to be slow going and it wasnt before. Any thoughts? Thanks!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: First gear grinding

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

68swep wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:01 pm
I have a 68, 225, 3 in the tree. I put a brand new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and flywheel in it a few weeks back. Its been running great. Today I seem to have an issue putting it back into 1st. Im not trying to down shif into first. When I get to a stop, put it in nutral, then try to put it in first its still grinding the gear like the fly wheel is still spinning. It doesnt seem to matter how long I wait. I hit a few lights today where I waited a while and it still grinded when I went to put it in first.

Also, not sure if this is related, but I have the normal power in 1st and 2nr but 3rd seems to be slow going and it wasnt before. Any thoughts? Thanks!
The flywheel is NEVER not spinning, nor is the pressure plate. You MUST step on the pedal to get it into gear, no matter whether it is in neutral or not.
If you ARE stepping on the pedal, then the clutch is out of adjustment.

"grinded"? :pale

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68swep »

Ya, im stepping on the pedal. I hope I didnt break any teeth off my flywheel!! I dont have a shop manual yet, if there a write up or video on how to adjust the clutch?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Yes I would check clutch engagement. I believe it is out of adjustment & you can't push the pedal down "far enough" to get the results needed.

But I'm not familiar with how you adjust yours. Mine is later model & mechanical.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

68swep wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:01 am
Ya, im stepping on the pedal. I hope I didnt break any teeth off my flywheel!! I dont have a shop manual yet, if there a write up or video on how to adjust the clutch?
Your flywheel teeth are what the starter use..... so they aren't involved
in your grinding problem. As Terry pointed out, you might have to make
some adjustments on the clutch set up. Seeing as a '68 is a hydraulic system, you
should probably make certain that the clutch master and slave are holding
fluid and bled properly to get any air out of the system. There's also a rod
adjustment from the pedal to the clutch master piston. Did you install a new
master and slave?

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68swep »

Im pretty embarrassed, I knew the flywheel hit the started, not sure what I was thinking!

I did install a new master and slave with the clutch. I did a bench bleed on it as well as another once it was installed. I checked the fluid level this morning and its good. I also didnt see any fluid by the master or slave, no leaks. Im not rulling out air in the line though. I tried adjusting rhe rod that goes into the slave this morning, ill keep working on that to see if that gets it done.

The strange part is I wasnt having an issue the last few weeks, just started yesterday. Im guessing the adjustment on the slave can move? My engine does vibrate a lot.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There is a jam nut on the adjustment rod that keeps it from moving.

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

I would take the rod off the clutch arm, open the bleeder on the slave , push the rod all the way into the slave , hook every thing up after adjusting the rod and clutch arm, close the bleed, clutch may have worn in a little

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

the chinese clutch master cylinders can either never work out of the box or only last a few weeks. i have had a couple fail on me

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68swep »

I adjusted the rod to the alave and it seems better. Should I switch to a Wildwood set up though?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

68swep wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:12 pm
I adjusted the rod to the alave and it seems better. Should I switch to a Wildwood set up though?
For a stock system I see no reason to if its functioning correctly. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.