**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
sovereignroom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san leandro
State: CA

fuel tank

Post by sovereignroom »

does anyone have a step by step process on how to remove the fuel tank on a 1966 dodge d100

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: fuel tank

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Its easy. Easier if you remove the seat as well as the seat back. Remove bolts top and bottom, disconnect fuel line, sender wire and fill pipe. Drag tank out. Try to have it as empty as possible to reduce weight and spills.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

Pretty much what PwrWgnDrvr stated. The filler neck grommets are likely near hard as a rock from age. So warming them with a heat gun will make them pliable and easier to extract the filler neck.

This is a good time to replace the fuel line and wiring grommets, that pass through the floor pan. I utilize rubber roof mat for the bottom and back wall tank pads. It is far more durable than the OEM felt pad. The price is usually right---free, from a roofer's scrap pile or dumpster.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Good idea to warm the fill pipe grommet if it doesn't slide out.
Pre 70 tanks don't use the grommet. The tank has a nipple with a rubber hose coupling clamped to it and the fill pipe.

sovereignroom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san leandro
State: CA

Post by sovereignroom »

Cool thanks guys, I've already removed the seat and starting unscrewing some bolts for it , need to get some tools now !

azdodge07
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix/AZ
State: AZ

Post by azdodge07 »

Any tips on cleaning out the fuel tank once removed? I have minimal tools, fuel is not cutting through the sludge. I thought of taking it someplace ( may still, but $250). I've been told the "Seafoam" product is good, but the whole tank is rusted and just awful looking inside.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Search is your friend. See my post here. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40848&p=291114&hilit=Chain#p291114

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Post by 67step100 »

azdodge07 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:28 pm
Any tips on cleaning out the fuel tank once removed? I have minimal tools, fuel is not cutting through the sludge. I thought of taking it someplace ( may still, but $250). I've been told the "Seafoam" product is good, but the whole tank is rusted and just awful looking inside.
Keep in mind that if you have a significant amount of rust inside the tank your tank wall thickness has been compromised. Once you clean out all the rust you may have spots where the metal is only paper thin. You might be better off looking for a good used tank or a new one. Yes, costly but you will never have to worry about it again, or particles of rust in the future clogging up your fuel filters. Just my 2c.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

Ditto 67step100's comments. Also, you'll never get the tank 100% free of rust. Rust particles will still work loose over time and you'll have trouble in the remainder of the fuel system with plugged pickup strainer, plugged filters and potentially plugged jets/passages in the carb.

Finding a good donor tank can be difficult. Perhaps you've looked into an outfit that does fuel tank re-conditioning. I don't have any experience with them, but considering the number of locations and lifetime warranty, I'm thinking they have a good product:

https://www.gastankrenu.com/
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration