**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
jault
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san marcos
State: TX

horn and relay locations

Post by jault »

Been working on a 62 D200 longbed trying to get road worthy. It has not been started since 1991. In the final stages for state inspection and registration but having trouble with getting horn working. I'm sure somebody has monkeyed with a new horn location and wiring. I think original horn is mounted to hood (over master cylinders) and after market horn was mounted on the column support near the radiator on drivers side. I was able to remove and clean horn button. I verified connection to new aftermarket horn via horn button wires with power probe and got sound. I suspect a ground issue in the truck just like my lights. Any help would be appreciated.
jeff

ps how do you post pictures?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: horn and relay locations

Post by Jims68 »

I'm not sure about a '62 Sweptline, but on my '68 the horn works on a ground. In other words, the HOT wire is always hot and when you "beep" the button, it GROUNDS the horn which in turn makes it work. Check to see if you have TWO wires going to the horn. Make sure the one is HOT (+) and the other one is ONLY Grounded when you beep the horn. IF it doesn't ground, then look for your problems elsewhere. IF it does "ground" make sure your horn "works". Providing your horn is a 2 wire job. :salut
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

jault
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san marcos
State: TX

Post by jault »

Thanks for the information. I think situation is the same with mine and I wondering if my replacement horn is wired differently. In addition, I could not find a horn relay.
thanks for your help. I will keep digging.
jeff

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

jault wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:26 pm
Thanks for the information. I think situation is the same with mine and I wondering if my replacement horn is wired differently. In addition, I could not find a horn relay.
jeff
OH... I forgot to mention... no horn relay on these Sweptlines... (at least on later 67-68 years). Like I said, I'm not familiar with the '62 wiring. Others are... probably will chime in and let you know for sure.
Jim

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Jims68 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 pm
jault wrote:
jeff
OH... I forgot to mention... no horn relay on these Sweptlines... (at least on later 67-68 years). Like I said, I'm not familiar with the '62 wiring. Others are... probably will chime in and let you know for sure.
Horn relay was an option with dual horns. I have 2 68 trucks , Both with dual horns and horn relay wiring. Also a 67 D300. I have also removed the horn relay wiring from hood mounted horns on 66 trucks. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:19 am
Jims68 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 pm
jault wrote:
jeff
Horn relay was an option with dual horns. I have 2 68 trucks , Both with dual horns and horn relay wiring. Also a 67 D300. I have also removed the horn relay wiring from hood mounted horns on 66 trucks. :thinking :thinking
Thanks for pointing that out. That was why I mentioned that someone would/could chime in. Now... if I can only remember that if this comes up again! HAHA!! :lol:
Jim

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

On my late year 65 there are dual horns one just inboard of driver side hood hinge, other is just to the right of the radiator. It does have a relay also. This may have been added as it was originally sold to a fire dept. neither horn is mounted to the hood.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:17 am
On my late year 65 there are dual horns one just inboard of driver side hood hinge, other is just to the right of the radiator. It does have a relay also. This may have been added as it was originally sold to a fire dept. neither horn is mounted to the hood.
Interesting.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

The name on the horns is Sparton. Is that who made our horns? If it’s a different name maybe they are added.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Post by 64D100Poly »

I pulled 2 horns from a Valiant, when I installed I used a old horn relay off of a Chevy or something, not sure but it works perfect :Thumbsup
A grinder & paint make me the welder I ain't

-1965 (early) D100 Sweptline Daily
-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
-1968 Barracuda Formula S
OO\===/OO