**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
chibravo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hood River
State: OR

Steering wheel reposition.

Post by chibravo »

My ocd is killing me ! My steering wheel is not “straight” when driving straight down the road. How to reposition ? How does horn center cap come off ? Is the steering wheel on a spline shaft where I can just reposition it ? Will I need a puller ?

1970 dodge d200. Thanks for any info !!!!

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Steering wheel reposition.

Post by Wildergarten »

chibravo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:11 pm
My ocd is killing me ! My steering wheel is not “straight” when driving straight down the road. How to reposition ? How does horn center cap come off ? Is the steering wheel on a spline shaft where I can just reposition it ? Will I need a puller ?
I know that on the Dart I had the wheel was 'keyed' by the splines such that it could only go on one way. Hence, centering would have to be done with the tie rod ends. Don't know about the trucks.

The horn button pops out and is held by a gasket. Lube it with Vaseline before putting it back on.

As to the puller question, the way I do it is to back off the nut on the shaft that holds the wheel until it clears the end of the shaft. I put my knees under the wheel arms and generate moderate lift and rap the nut on the shaft end with a brass hammer. Pops right off.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Spline. A steering wheel puller helps but as stated by Mark not necessarily required.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

yes you can reposition. almost always need a pulletr. but first check that all the steering parts are not bent. the tie rod getting bent will cause it to be off.