**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
jboymechanic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Muskego
State: WI

Automatic Truck Details

Post by jboymechanic »

As I search for a truck, I'd prefer stick shift but I"m intrigued by some of the automatic equipped trucks that I've seen. My ultimate goal once I find a truck, stick or auto, would be to add overdrive. Here's what I'd like to know:

What year automatic trucks were push button and what years had the mid-dash mounted lever?

Did the automatics actuated by lever have a parking pawl built into the trans and a shift pattern of P-R-N-D-2-1 (and no trans park brake)?

The hydraulic clutch trucks had cross members that mounted to the bellhousing, but did the automatic trucks use a transmission crossmember instead?

What I'm getting at is whether or not the dash lever linkage could be used to shift a newer A518 (46RH) automatic overdrive.

Thanks for the input.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Automatic Truck Details

Post by Hobcobble »

jboymechanic wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 pm
As I search for a truck, I'd prefer stick shift but I"m intrigued by some of the automatic equipped trucks that I've seen. My ultimate goal once I find a truck, stick or auto, would be to add overdrive. Here's what I'd like to know:

What year automatic trucks were push button and what years had the mid-dash mounted lever? ['61-'64 Push Button]
['65- Had two cable dash lever. Sometime in '65 it became a single cable which went through '68]

Did the automatics actuated by lever have a parking pawl built into the trans and a shift pattern of P-R-N-D-2-1 (and no trans park brake)?
[Yes]

The hydraulic clutch trucks had cross members that mounted to the bellhousing, but did the automatic trucks use a transmission crossmember instead?
[Loadflite auto equipped '61-'68 Sweptlines had the bell housing cross member removed, spanner installed on the remaining stubs and a tail shaft
cross member bolted in place]

What I'm getting at is whether or not the dash lever linkage could be used to shift a newer A518 (46RH) automatic overdrive.
[Not sure. I do know the tranny selector shaft lever for dash lever shift Sweptlines is specific to the set up.]

Thanks for the input.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

With the 66-68 shifter, 518 works fine but you'll need the correct linkage that goes on the trans. This has a non lock 518.
20150730_204019_copy_600x1067.jpg

jboymechanic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Muskego
State: WI

Post by jboymechanic »

marklein wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:32 pm
With the 66-68 shifter, 518 works fine but you'll need the correct linkage that goes on the trans. This has a non lock 518.
So with the single cable shifter, you can hookup a A518 but will need kick down linkage?

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

The 518 is identical for everything linkage related to a 727, manual linkage and TV linkage swap either way without issue. Yes, it hooks up great. You need the TV linkage on all torqueflite trans.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

jboymechanic wrote:
The crossmember was torched out. There were two welded angles crossing under the trans bolted to the crossmember studs. There was a second crossmember under the tailshaft housing.

I have the whole setup for a big block A727B from a 67 D200 for sale as a kit, from dash to linkage, to crossmember assemblies, trans, starter, driveshaft, and even bolts. PM me if you are interested.
jboymechanic wrote:
And I won't break the kit. :Thumbsup
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org