Sitting for 8 years dies at warm idle

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Sitting for 8 years dies at warm idle

Post by 383mrollg »

Here is the start of my revival on the Dodge,

The truck has been sitting since 2012, I did a terrible job of starting it up regularly. A year ago I managed to get it moved to my house from where it was stored and started tinkering with it. I did not remove all of the gas, had synthetic oil in it when it was sitting. I replaced the tires to get it rolling again, replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes. Replaced the transmission pan gasket and filter (which still is leaking apparently as you can see the smoke in the video below).

I put about 3 gallons of gas in it and had to pour gas down the carb and start, rinse and repeat until the fuel system was primed. truck would not run at all only for seconds. Replaced the mechanical fuel pump, fuel filter twice. Now the truck is running with cold idle and sounds good, I have barely messed with the timing, but have since gone through and set the carb to "Holley default settings". Still the truck dies once it goes to warm idle, I noticed that the accelerator pump was seized and replaced the diaphragm on that. Inside was nasty from the gas sitting in there I'm sure (I have not removed the fuel bowl yet, this is my next step as I am thinking the jets are clogged or power valve or just everything inside the carb is coated in grime.

I also checked a little on the electrical side as some online said to check the coil which I did a resistance test and the numbers were slightly off 2.0 ohms from neg to pos and 8k ohms from center post to neg, I believe the numbers you're looking for are .7 and 11k? Anyways, replaced the coil and the ballast resistor, truck runs the same IMO.

Here is a video of a cold start. The smoke is from transmission fluid burning off the header, at the end when the idle goes way down I close the throttle body to keep it running, afterwards I rev it up a little to see if that changes anything, but nothing.

I also just did a second cold start and cranked the idle screw up about 2 turns and the truck was at about 1300 rpm idle and still died once going to warm idle.

Any ideas? Thanks and glad to be back on the forum!

https://youtu.be/7U0j5YMaAa4
1970 D100, Built 383,727,3.91 SureGrip.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Sitting for 8 years dies at warm idle

Post by Hobcobble »

Do you have a spare 4bbl you've used recently that you
could swap in and try?

John

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »

The only thing that has changed since you parked it is the fuel. The timing cant change or go "bad" just from sitting. That leaves the fuel. Since it runs with the choke on, that means that it needs the extra fuel, which tells me that the idle circuit is plugged. I would pull and do a rebuild on the carb. You might try spraying some choke cleaner down the idle air holes but I doubt that would completely cure the problem.

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

I don't have a spare carb unfortunately.

I will look into that thanks, will post an update.

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

I pulled the carb off and removed the fuel bowl parts. Didn't look too bad sprayed carb cleaner through everything passage ways were good. Put the carb back on same exact result. Side note the ballast resistor is almost too hot to touch really warm? I'm assuming that's not normal?

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

383mrollg wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:56 pm
Any ideas? Thanks and glad to be back on the forum!
https://youtu.be/7U0j5YMaAa4
My first guess would be gelled gas gunking up the primary metering block.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

383mrollg wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:32 pm
I pulled the carb off and removed the fuel bowl parts. Didn't look too bad sprayed carb cleaner through everything passage ways were good. Put the carb back on same exact result. Side note the ballast resistor is almost too hot to touch really warm? I'm assuming that's not normal?
Normal for ballast to get hot. That is why they are made of ceramic. I doubt its bad. My guess is dirty carb or adjusted incorrectly. Craig

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

Update on the truck,

Finally got the rebuild kit and pulled the carb apart. It was pretty nasty inside cleaned all the parts replaced all the gaskets. Put the carb back on and she's good as new! Thank you guys for all your input, I will keep you all posted with more progress on the truck.

https://youtu.be/hu5QJ10AXho

Chris

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Post by 67step100 »

383mrollg wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:51 pm
Update on the truck,

Finally got the rebuild kit and pulled the carb apart. It was pretty nasty inside cleaned all the parts replaced all the gaskets. Put the carb back on and she's good as new! Thank you guys for all your input, I will keep you all posted with more progress on the truck.

https://youtu.be/hu5QJ10AXho

Chris
Chris, thanks for sharing again. It's not often we hear back if a problem got fixed based on advise that was given and what the problem actually was. Good to know it all worked out.

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

For sure, it was definitely something clogged in the idle circuit. Glad I soaked all the parts in cleaner and took the time to do the rebuild.

On a side note, does anyone know where I could find a fan shroud? I remember years back I lost it somehow and in the Arizona summer it overheats. Think that is the issue.

Chris

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

I have 2 or 3. PM me here.