**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
patrino
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Portland
State: OR

door latch works inconsistently - '66 D200

Post by patrino »

I've got a '66 D200, I often have to "double pull" the driver's side door handle to get it to open: to open the door, I have to pull the handle, let the handle snap back, then pull it a second time. I have a similar problem trying to open the door from the inside; I sometimes need to 'jiggle the handle' and gently lift on the door to get it to open.

Is there an adjustment or recondition I can do to some of the latching mechanisms? Any suggestions as to what might be going on?

Also, am I correct in thinking that when I pull on the outside door handle, the star wheel should rotate? Or does pulling the handle simply release a 'lock' mechanism that lets the star wheel rotate (and disengage from the striker)?

I've been reviewing a lot of posts about door latching. Based on this post (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32075&p=241456&hili ... ch#p241456) it looks like you can remove the door latch assembly from the door fairly simply; remove four screws and work it out through the openings on the inner door (after removing the cosmetic panel). Does that sound correct? Once I've got the latch assembly out, am I correct in thinking I'm in a good place to use one of the freshen-up techniques outlined here? viewtopic.php?p=283063#p283063

Thanks for any suggestions.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: door latch works inconsistently - '66 D200

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Star wheels, strikers and hinge pins wear out and cause binding. Fix those and you're well on the way to smooth operating latches

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: fairhope
State: AL

Re: door latch works inconsistently - '66 D200

Post by hmaynord »

I can't answer your ?s, but those guys with 1,000s of posts in this thread that you reference always -- almost always ?? :lol: :lol: -- give good advice:
patrino wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:18 pm
... Once I've got the latch assembly out, am I correct in thinking I'm in a good place to use one of the freshen-up techniques outlined here? viewtopic.php?p=283063#p283063
harris
late 65 (titled as 66) D100 SWB 225-1, 3 speed, 3.91
driving it since 12/03/71