**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
dbolterII
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: capitol
State: MN

exhaust

Post by dbolterII »

Howdy Y'all, I am in full swing on my '64 d~100 Poly Stroker engine build, and looking forward to exhaust...
looking for thoughts & opinions on mufflers what type to get and what style exhaust tips to get .... I am running Stans headers and 2.5 inch exhaust I'm thinking.... I have a little time before spring arrives so thought I'd see what you were thinking before I pull the trigger....Thx ~d

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: exhaust

Post by Hobcobble »

Here's a real sleeper....
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk- ... el/coronet

I put a pair of these on my '67 Coronet R/T [.030 over 440 Mag.] and am
really happy with the tone. They're throaty but don't drone on the highway.
Best of all.... they're inexpensive. :Thumbsup

John

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

To save space for the hydraulic system, I'm doing stainless short headers and piping into a two-into one stainless muffler: 2 X 2.25" in, 1 X 3" out (Flowmaster 50 Series 8524553). The plan is for the H crossover under the oil pan (with a heat shield). It is not clear whether I want flanges on the crossover but I suspect I do as long as the pipe inserts into a swaged entry. The driver's side runner crosses behind the transfer case (permanently lubed yoke and u-joint) with a 3" straight outlet in front of the passenger's side rear tire.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

I was in the exhaust biz for many years. the best mufflers for durability, fit and performance I found was Shuttleworth. they make all the sizes of oval mufflers and also make a bottle muffler which looks like a glass pack but has multiple chambers inside. Shuttleworths are thick all welded type construction. fit way better than flow masters and perform really well. I dont like stainless mufflers because they fall apart frequently. stainless is no a good material for mufflers. it doesn't like the heating and cooling and the spot well pop loose all the time and the then start buzzing.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Kaegi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:18 am
I was in the exhaust biz for many years. the best mufflers for durability, fit and performance I found was Shuttleworth. they make all the sizes of oval mufflers and also make a bottle muffler which looks like a glass pack but has multiple chambers inside. Shuttleworths are thick all welded type construction. fit way better than flow masters and perform really well. I dont like stainless mufflers because they fall apart frequently. stainless is no a good material for mufflers. it doesn't like the heating and cooling and the spot well pop loose all the time and the then start buzzing.
Thanks for the info; I'll definitely look into it. I have a pair of Flowmasters on the truck I'm driving now, and one of them does buzz, but I had attributed that to the horrible backfiring I got from the way the people who sold it to me had set up the carburetor and timing.

Beautiful spot you live in, but where do you go for parts? Bremerton?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

Wildergarten wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:58 am
Kaegi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:18 am
Thanks for the info; I'll definitely look into it. I have a pair of Flowmasters on the truck I'm driving now, and one of them does buzz, but I had attributed that to the horrible backfiring I got from the way the people who sold it to me had set up the carburetor and timing.

Beautiful spot you live in, but where do you go for parts? Bremerton?
belfair has a napa and an oreillys. only 4 miles. I actually have moved to bremerton now. need to update profile. Allyn was nice living right on the water

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

https://www.shuttleworthexhaust.com/ima ... d-2019.pdf

got to page 35 and 36 for turbo style mufflers and bottle mufflers. they make flow masters look like a hack job. nothing wrong with flow masters they are generally very tough. just dont look or sound as good as these do. price is the same

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I had Flowmasters on my Challenger and hated the drone noise on the highway. I put Dynomax Superturbo on and they sound great

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Re Shuttleworth: I'm looking to do a 2 into 1 single muffler. I want low restriction, efficient scavenging, and fairly quiet. I don't mind a healthy low rumble, but I don't want to think about it unless I want to hear it. Is that what this is? There are no videos on YouTube to get a sense of it. :study
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

Wildergarten wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 am
Re Shuttleworth: I'm looking to do a 2 into 1 single muffler. I want low restriction, efficient scavenging, and fairly quiet. I don't mind a healthy low rumble, but I don't want to think about it unless I want to hear it. Is that what this is? There are no videos on YouTube to get a sense of it. :study
yes shuttleworth are not real loud. flow is excellent though. you can call them and they will help you get any combo you need. Real nice people