**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

timing.......

Post by dynamutt »

So....... i gather from my reading the 318 likes a total advance of 35 degrees....and an initial advance of 8-10 degrees is a good start. (im running 8 btdc, vac. unhooked, on the fresh crate engine in my stick A100...........so, with 8 degree advance at idle, id want 27 degrees of total advance in the distributor....absent a Sun distributor machine- aint seen one in 40 years, i dont think-how can i figure out this dist. total advance? Ive limited advance s of HD distributors - next size up roll pin stops them some 5 degrees sooner..........anybody messed around with this? For '69, you have a choice of TDC, 5 ATDC- some Cali smog thing- and so forth. anybody have the measurement from the TDC mark on the pulley to how far around the pulley 35 BTDC would be?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: timing.......

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

dynamutt wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:27 am
So....... i gather from my reading the 318 likes a total advance of 35 degrees....and an initial advance of 8-10 degrees is a good start. (im running 8 btdc, vac. unhooked, on the fresh crate engine in my stick A100...........so, with 8 degree advance at idle, id want 27 degrees of total advance in the distributor....absent a Sun distributor machine- aint seen one in 40 years, i dont think-how can i figure out this dist. total advance? Ive limited advance s of HD distributors - next size up roll pin stops them some 5 degrees sooner..........anybody messed around with this? For '69, you have a choice of TDC, 5 ATDC- some Cali smog thing- and so forth. anybody have the measurement from the TDC mark on the pulley to how far around the pulley 35 BTDC would be?
Its a linear distance. Measure from 0-5 and multiply by 7 - that would be the distance for 35.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Why 8. Is that what the engine likes based on tune, vacuum or what? To get the all in you either use an adjustable dizzy or weld slots. Get a timing light with advance readings, rev engine 3500 rpm. That will be all in.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos

Post by Wildergarten »

In the olden days, when I was willing to reset my timing after getting the car smogged, my 318 ran optimally at 14-15.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dynamutt »

its idling warmed up between 17 & 18HG. at 8btdc. got a replacement pcv valve..... no vac leaks.
plugs look nice. next step.....if its 35 deg. total advance they like, make a mark at.... 30 &35 degrees. to allow for 10 degree advance at idle. ill have to look at the advancer to figure how to limit total advance to 25, which allows idle at 10 btdc. i have to establish the distributors total adance....this, particular remanufactured one. seeing the timing mark is a bit of a chore, in this van , and my eyes aint the best.....

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Like I said why 8. That's kind of low even for a stock engine. It is the mechanical advance you have to limit. Only can be done via after market dizzy or weld slots on stock. Doesn't have anything to do with the vacuum pot. :2cents

dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dynamutt »

Im going by the published data in both old Motors and Chiltons...which offers zero, 5, 8 and 10 btdc depending on year/distributor. im an old 6 banger guy. V8's ive never gotten too deep into, & chrysler small blocks dot at all. So i ask questions. i replaced the points the reman dist came with a Pertronix, and suitable coil. so.... my question is do they indeed like a total advance of 35 degrees? and, i gather, 10btdc isnt at all extreme as initial setting?........ careful listening reveals no knocks under load at 8 degrees.....

dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dynamutt »

AHA! a GREAT piles of 318 lore here: https://www.valiant.org/valiant/V8.html answers all my timing questions. ill measure the diameter of the balancer, multiply by 3.14, divide by 36 and get a measurement for ten degrees, then lay out on tape the relevant 10 degree marks...... dint them w/ a sharp chisel, , paint and spin. bump the initial timing to 10 degrees, and see where full advance ends up. seems to me a fella could make a few bucks selling adhesive stainless steel balancer pully markers tailored to balance dismeter. the only hard part of this is getting a clear eyeball on the timing mark, in the van doghouse. not a user-friendly setup.

dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dynamutt »

dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dynamutt »

Next step: braziong the mechanical advance slot to limit total advance..... makes sense. easy enough.......