8 3/4 Axle identification Help

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
dtorres
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sylmar
State: CA

8 3/4 Axle identification Help

Post by dtorres »

Hello all,
Well Ive done some research and Im not able to figure this out. Need help identifying this axle. I know its a 8 3/4 but dont know the year. Im trying to replace the hard brake line but I got one that was too short to reach the breather hole. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Need brake line part number or year of this axle.ImageImage

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: 8 3/4 Axle identification Help

Post by dodgeboykim »

dtorres wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Hello all,
Well Ive done some research and Im not able to figure this out. Need help identifying this axle. I know its a 8 3/4 but dont know the year. Im trying to replace the hard brake line but I got one that was too short to reach the breather hole. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Need brake line part number or year of this axle.ImageImage

Easiest way to deal with it is buy a good double flaring tool, Learn how to use it and make a new brake line from bulk line and fittings. :thinking :salut
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Pretty sure all 8.75's in the d100's are the same size and location. Are you talking about the rubber hose? Just take the old one to the parts store...they will have it or can order one. :2cents :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

dtorres
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dtorres »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:33 pm
dtorres wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Hello all,

Easiest way to deal with it is buy a good double flaring tool, Learn how to use it and make a new brake line from bulk line and fittings. :thinking :salut
Yeah that was my last option but I'm not sure if I'll use it again. Thanks for the reply!

dtorres
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dtorres »

Txas2step wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 am
Pretty sure all 8.75's in the d100's are the same size and location. Are you talking about the rubber hose? Just take the old one to the parts store...they will have it or can order one. :2cents :Thumbsup
I already have the rubber hose, I'm talking about the hard pre-shapped brake line that is clipped on to the rear axle.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

U will never find that hard line NOS. Your only choices are used, make one yourself, or have one made. If the cost of the double flaring kit is a worry, then u won't be able to afford the other options. As Kim said, "the easiest way to deal with it is...."

dtorres
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dtorres »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 pm
U will never find that hard line NOS. Your only choices are used, make one yourself, or have one made. If the cost of the double flaring kit is a worry, then u won't be able to afford the other options. As Kim said, "the easiest way to deal with it is...."
lol ok, well looks like I'll own some new tools then.

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

if money is tight, you can usually borrow the cheapest type of flaring tool from your local autozone or pepboys type shop.
basically you buy the tool and they will give you a full refund when you bring it back; it's their policy.

the tools they sell are pretty much the cheapest version though, and it is pretty tricky to get a good flare with it.

i bought one of these old style Imperial tools at the flea market or on ebay, and it works great. it has a 45 degree angle design cut in the horseshoe that keeps it from twisting, which was a problem i had with the cheapy tools. if you get a used tool, the tophat piece to make a double flare is often missing, but they are available new for a couple bucks.

you'll need one of these little aluminum benders too, but they're cheap

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

If you don't mind could you back up just a bit. What exactly happened to make you feel the line needed to be replaced?
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

dtorres
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dtorres »

MadMC63 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 pm
If you don't mind could you back up just a bit. What exactly happened to make you feel the line needed to be replaced?
Just an overhaul of the rear axle, bearings and all. Might as well do the brake lines, the original ones look their age 50+ years. Ill try to clean up the lines but they look pretty bad.

dtorres
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dtorres »

coelcanth wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:30 pm
if money is tight, you can usually borrow the cheapest type of flaring tool from your local autozone or pepboys type shop.
basically you buy the tool and they will give you a full refund when you bring it back; it's their policy.

the tools they sell are pretty much the cheapest version though, and it is pretty tricky to get a good flare with it.

i bought one of these old style Imperial tools at the flea market or on ebay, and it works great. it has a 45 degree angle design cut in the horseshoe that keeps it from twisting, which was a problem i had with the cheapy tools. if you get a used tool, the tophat piece to make a double flare is often missing, but they are available new for a couple bucks.

you'll need one of these little aluminum benders too, but they're cheap
Thanks I just seen that at O-Reilley auto parts. Ill give that a shot first and if it doesnt work out Ill just buy the set. Money is an issue but its more like a budget im trying to stay within. Still need to axle flip and cnotch, then sending my font axle to sids...wheels, tires, brakes etc etc

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Tools are for life. I have had my Grey double flaring tool and small tubing cutter for better part of 40 years. Its got me out of a bind countless times and fabricated new lines many times over. Indispensable tool in my book if your working on old stuff. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

dtorres
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dtorres »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 pm
Tools are for life. I have had my Grey double flaring tool and small tubing cutter for better part of 40 years. Its got me out of a bind countless times and fabricated new lines many times over. Indispensable tool in my book if your working on old stuff. :thinking :thinking
Very true, theres always a good reason to buy more tools :lol: :lol:

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

I removed my lines and cleaned them with a wire wheel then clear coated them. Would have been nicer with polished stainless but turned out OK. Pictures are kind of crappy.
side.jpg
side.jpg
Attachments
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 575 times
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?