**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
fosterfarm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gilroy
State: CA

Vin Decoding "SPEC"???

Post by fosterfarm »

Trying to decode my VIN and figure out what my final drive ratio is as well as the special equipment. Where I believe the axel information should be, it just has "SPEC".
IMG_5514.JPG

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Re: Vin Decoding "SPEC"???

Post by powerwagon54 »

are you getting your pm's

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

You will probably have to mark the tire and count the pinion revolutions to determine the axle ratio, unless there is a tag on the axle. The rear axle is special ordered, as is the spare tire, increased cooling and shock absorber.

There was another truck with the same rear axle number and it had 4.88 gears with a limited slip.

fosterfarm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosterfarm »

powerwagon54 wrote:are you getting your pm's
YES! Just replied :)

fosterfarm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosterfarm »

soopernaut wrote:You will probably have to mark the tire and count the pinion revolutions to determine the axle ratio, unless there is a tag on the axle. The rear axle is special ordered, as is the spare tire, increased cooling and shock absorber.

There was another truck with the same rear axle number and it had 4.88 gears with a limited slip.
Ahh - very helpful! So SPEC means special ordered - makes sense. I have a theory that the truck was originally a forestry truck (given color, CB wiring, etc.) so perhaps it was equipped specially for that reason.

- Spare tire (which of course isn't there any more)
- increased cooling - would this have been a bigger radiator and fan? (Of course given my previous owner put a 440 in (out of an Imperial) it's hard to tell what's original.
- shock absorber - does this mean heavier duty shocks? or something more substantial?
- R A S PIC - what does that stand for???

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Rear Axle made by SPICER (DANA)

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Why would there be a special notation "R A #$%^" when they came with that axle anyways?

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

712edf wrote:Why would there be a special notation "R A #$%^" when they came with that axle anyways?

Bucky
See my earlier post. A 4.88 with a limited slip may not have been a standard option. Anything that was not a standard option would be included. I'm not saying this truck has that ratio or a limited slip, but it an example that had the same SERT number. Some SERTs say engine but all trucks came with an engine. :thinking

"Spare tire" could also be tire carrier since there are SERTs sequencially before and after this number that correspond to tire carrier. Sometimes they labeled things differently, even for the same number. It may have been up to whoever was stamping plates that day.