fosterfarm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gilroy
State: CA

New '68 D200 w/440 owner

Post by fosterfarm »

Howdy folks,
I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few new-guy questions. I just bought a 1968 D200 w/ 4spd on the floor.
Photo Nov 14, 7 02 39 AM.jpg
Apparently the original owner swapped in a 1970, all matching parts, 440 into this baby.
Photo Nov 14, 7 02 45 AM.jpg
It runs well, just needs some interior love and the engine cleaned up. Has a old Vacuum gauge and Tach which work as they should.

Here's my list of questions thus far that I could use help with:
  1. Dash lights don't work - but the gauges do. Any suggestions on what to try first?
  2. Heater controls are stuck and it seems like the cables are all jammed. Can they be fixed or do I need to buy replacements?
  3. It's missing the headliner. What's the best approach to replacing that?
  4. The main dash plate (with the speedo, etc.) is missing a few screws. Anyone know where to find replacements?
That's it for now. First project is replacing the carpet and rubber seals...

Thanks,
-Darin

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

Re: New '68 D200 w/440 owner

Post by fireguyfire »

Looks like an excellent starting point and welcome Darin!

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: colorado springs
State: CO

Post by ozzie »

this may sound silly, but as for the dash lights, have you tried turning the headlight knob to the right? it has a built in dimmer.
ozzie

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Nice truck neighbor :Thumbsup
Andy

fosterfarm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosterfarm »

ozzie wrote:this may sound silly, but as for the dash lights, have you tried turning the headlight knob to the right? it has a built in dimmer.
Yup - tried that :(

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

Bulbs are all burnt out or gone. Fuse blown if it has one or dimmer part of switch is gone or broken. Seen many over the years with curly coil totally gone. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

fosterfarm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosterfarm »

dodgeboykim wrote:Bulbs are all burnt out or gone. Fuse blown if it has one or dimmer part of switch is gone or broken. Seen many over the years with curly coil totally gone. :thinking
How many bulbs are in the dash and where do you get them?
Also, right blinker dash arrow works but left one doesn’t. Is that the same type of bulb?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

A few screws and the whole unit pops out of the dash. Bulb sockets pop out of the back. Common bulbs at the parts house. Easy to count them - less than 2 hands of fingers.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

fosterfarm wrote:
dodgeboykim wrote:Bulbs are all burnt out or gone. Fuse blown if it has one or dimmer part of switch is gone or broken. Seen many over the years with curly coil totally gone. :thinking
How many bulbs are in the dash and where do you get them?
Also, right blinker dash arrow works but left one doesn’t. Is that the same type of bulb?
All the same bulbs in dash as PwrWgnDrvr noted. Should be no problem finding at a good automotive or Truck parts store.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

fosterfarm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosterfarm »

Thanks guys!

Anyone have guidance on the heater controls/cables?

12Valve
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grand Forks
State: ND

Post by 12Valve »

For the heater control depending on the type that you have in the truck you could have the one with the cable operated defrost, or the one with the manual opener down by the passengers feet. The heater inside is a simple ball valve which could be frozen so DO NOT PULL as hard as you can. You will break the eyelets off ruining the cable. Pull the heater core out its a simple job, little bit of a mess. Free the cable off of the heater control valve. Try to push it forward and back, if you can't try some penetrating oil, slowly work it back and forth, for both the cable and ball valve. If ball valve can not move remove from the heater core. Spray the inside of the ball valve with penetrating oil try to work it. If it gets free clean it so your coolant doesn't become contaminated.

Obviously when removing the heater core you will have to drain the coolant. Depending if the cab vents are stuck in the down position this can make removal tricky however not impossible.

For the fresh air intake for the drivers side up under the cowl. You will have to look under your dash almost at the top of dash board. These are probably rusted in place again DO NOT FORCE THEM TO MOVE you will snap the cable. Spray these vents with some penetrating oil, take your hand and try to move them up and down. If you get some movement more oil, more up and down. They should break free. For the passengers side it would have been hidden by the heater core. Same process.

Plan on it taking an afternoon, with the occasional coffee break, swearing the heater core, lunch ect.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Yes, I would lube all cables. I think I recall 4 bulbs? So pull the corner screws and drop the assembly out to get to it all.