SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Auburn
State: AL

New Member,..Just bought a 66 W200

Post by SteveH »

Hello There !

Was cruising Craigslist last week and saw this W200,...and realized it was about two miles down the road !
It's here now, and I'm just starting to go through it. Lots of abuse this truck has had,...and lots of "mods" but nothing irreversible. I'm new to Mopar, and Power Wagons, but not mechanicals, I've done a lot of other vehicles, some motorcycles, pre war boats,,...even laid hands on an airplane or two.
Mainly wanting to know some spec details, and originality questions as I go along.
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG
I've already ordered the big service manual for this, and it's on the way, but want to get started looking for the correct spec carb right away. The truck is a 66 W200 with the poly 318 with a PTO winch attached to the rear.
83,000 original miles. It's basically rust free save for the driver's side rocker.

The seller said, "it runs, but the carb needs work".
Haha,...that's an understatement. Yes,...I was able to get it started and actually drove it the two miles to my place.
BUT,...when I got into it, I was amazed I could even get that short hop done.

Found:

Three plug wires on the wrong plug.
Timing off by ten degrees.
Points gapped at 50 thou.
Four plugs gapped at 8 thou.
And the cherry on top?.....well,....
There is a 650 carter four barrel carb,....perched atop a stock two barrel manifold....with an "adaptor" plate cobbled in between !

It never ceases to amaze me what some people will do.

I've got the other stuff sorted fully, but now want to go back to stock carb. I've done extensive online searching and although I've found that a Strombert WW 3 would be the right carb,...I can't find anywhere which model number would be the EXACT stock for my model/year/engine. (I am assuming the model number would denote the Venturi/jets/etc. sizes)
I am a big fan of factory research results. They usually get it right, at least for a stock motor.

I see there are about a dozen Stromberg WW 3's available. All those various model suffix numbers.
The folks selling rebuild kits assume you already have a carb to rebuild and therefore have the model number.
I however,...am starting from zero.

So,...my first question of what will assuredly be many,...which specific Stromberg carb model would be correct for my rig ? Does anyone have a bone stock W200 318 poly like mine out there with the original carb to let me know?

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: New Member,..Just bought a 66 W200

Post by SteveH »

Wow,... So nobody has a stock 1966 w200 318 4spd with the original carb on it to check the numbers for me?
Should I have posted this in the Engine forum? Maybe I'm asking in the wrong forum.

I'd like to get to searching for the right coded one as soon as I can.
Or better yet,..If anyone has one extra to sell or trade.
I'd trade even up that four barrel, which is in great shape, for the right two barrel in good shape.

Till I get this carb stuff sorted, I'm going through the truck and fixing a lot of small stuff.
Going to drop the winch and give it a once over/lube/etc.

But the carb is my main sticking point right now.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

This is what I'm dealing with.
Not pretty.....
IMG_0203.JPG
photo.JPG

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I have a stock WW2 off of a '68 LA318. I do have one on my '65 W200 A318 as well
as on a '66 A318 that came out of a car, but I don't know their origins. :thinking
John :welcome :usa

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Hello John,
Thanks for the welcome.
If the WW that's on your 65 runs well,...If you could, would you check the model numbers on it if you get a chance?
That would get me something to go on. I'd then try to find one with those model numbers.

Thanks !!

Steve H

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

:welcome Have FUN here!!
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

I've got a line on a carb from a fellow member here. Hopefully it'll work out and I can get this engine back running well.

Today I spent a whole day trying to get the winch off the truck. Unlike most winch set ups, this one is in the back.
The truck is currently a wooden flat bed, but there was some evidence of it being a dump bed at some point. (Switch in the dash labeled as such, and an extra relay with a large cable running back, but it was coiled up and taped off...now removed by me.).
The winch did not look like it had been used in decades. I wanted to get it off so I could clean it up and reseal etc.
Spent all day,...and I mean all day, working on getting it off. The guy welded the angle iron brackets that span the frame rails on to the frame rails. (And the actuator shaft for the winch clutch sticks out past the width of the mounting dimension so the winch was essentially stuck in there...the angle iron had to come off). I didn't want to use a torch for not wanting to damage the frame any more than I had to , and also the spring mounts are right there too. So grinding was the best option.

I spent hours with a grinder and cut off wheel grinding the welds down, and also there was another plate welded onto the angle iron that held the rollers. The guy cut some small notches in this second plate for the mounting bolts for the actual winch, but the notches were really tight and there was no room for a socket or wrench to get the mounting bolts off. I had to cut into that with a cut off wheel,,...it wasn't pretty.

AND,...after all this,, and finding it still woouldn't budge,...I realized he had also welded the TOPS of the angle iron to the frame as well. There just was no way I could get a grinder into that space so, after contemplating it a while,...decided to just go ahead and cut the angle iron in half with the portaband. It came off in five minutes.
IMG_0212.JPG
Check out all this monkey business to get the power to the winch in the rear.

Everything needs a clean up.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

This guy even welded the pillow block bearings to the support brackets. One side of this one was cracked off. I found it had a bolt with a washer, and another bolt clamped horizontally under the washer as a spacer to make the washer span flat the thickness of the bearing mounting flange that had been broken off. You can see the impression of the "spacer bolt" 's threads in there. This previous owner was a real improv artist.
IMG_0213.JPG

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
Ton's of crud, and a froze up shaft. I got it free, and tomorrow it's all about clean up...

BigJimG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flint
State: MI

Post by BigJimG »

Wow... Just... Wow... On one of the motorcycle forums I frequent, there is a "Look what the PO did" thread. This thread would belong in it if there was one on this forum. :joker

Good luck!
'63 D100
Build Link: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40000

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Welding up bolts and such is great theft protection.

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Post by sledgehammer »

Hope the carb works out and you don't find too many other strange things. I've noticed on mine that someone welded the arm onto the steering gear.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Today was all about cleaning up the winch and seeing just what I've got here.

Right off the bat, I opened the drain plug and this little gem comes out with the first scoop of goo....
image.jpg
The sub picture on the newspaper makes it look a little weird eh?
But what that little cylinder of metal came from is beyond me.
i first thought it was a roller bearing out of a tapered bearing, but those are all accounted for.
The other weird thing, and you can't see this in the picture, is that one end of it has grain, like it was broken off of something else. The worm and bronze gear are fine, as is everything else in the case,...but can't see where this little chunk came from. Any ideas?

The other strange thing is the previous owner filled, and i mean FILLED the case with grease, no oil, just grease.
The seals must've started leaking and this was the solution. I even think he replaced the oil fill plug with a grease fitting.

Serious pain the butt to get clean,...ended up using a tub o gasoline and a brush (after I scooped all I could get with screw drivers and putty knives) Not my preferred method, but the only choice,... did I mention it was full of grease?
Last edited by SteveH on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

One question,
I see these yokes and universal bearings on this PTO shaft set up are labeled "Spicer" which is good,...
but I'm unfamiliar with universals that don't have retaining rings so you can get the caps and needle bearings out. What's the scoop here? Pressed in?
How do you service these,..there's no grease fitting either. Weird.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

IF it was FULL of grease, maybe it was some part of a grease gun that he used to fill it with?

I also saw that picture and my 1st thought was that it was a real sandwich! :lol: That was for only a millisecond though... well... maybe a full second.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Still wondering about how these universal's come apart.
No retaining clips, and also no grease fittings.
I assume the cups are pressed in, but not sure of the preferred method of getting them apart.
I do have a press, but want some advice first.
What's the scoop?
IMG_0227.JPG

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Ok, so the story is they press out/in.
With no retaining clips I figured that was the case, and thanks for the links.
I do have a press, and also a big old school machinists vice. I've used the "socket as a spacer drift" method to press other things out in the past. I just wanted to confirm that the universal caps are press in/out before I went at it.

As for the carb,...my 1966 manual came today and BAM!...Here's the info I was looking for.
Carb type, main jet and power jet sizes, etc.
So nice to have the right info : )
IMG_0229.JPG

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

Post by fireguyfire »

Welcome; looks like a cool truck; I really like the colour combo of the interior.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Well, I found out a few other interesting things about this rig.
Checking the data tags I noticed a few gems that I hadn't noticed before.

It had a special added tag, (a sticker really), that showed "special equipment"
It noted that it has " special hubs FT, with a SERT # 16500"
There are manually locking hubs on the front and maybe that's the special equipment?
I have no idea what SERT # means.

The truck also apparently came with a three speed transmission (3syn Chry) and now it has a four on the floor. Once I saw this I noticed that the cover on the hump is a different color from the other interior metal. Funny the things you notice once you start to look. The data tag also said it had 164 HP,...is that the HP for the 318? There is definitely a 318 poly in there now,...it has the funny scalloped valve covers and the engine number
B 318 12-17 stamped into the block on the drivers side below the valve cover. Is there anything that can be learned from that number too?

SteveH