Cab removal

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

Cab removal

Post by fireguyfire »

Just about ready to remove the cab from my 70 d100 to start work on restoring the rolling chassis before diving into the body work.
I have never removed a truck cab before and am wondering the best way to go about it. I have a 2 post car lift, but am concerned as the floors and rockers are rusty and will need replacing, making me wonder where to lift on the cab.
I am also curious if anyone has suggestions or has built a wooden rolling jig of some sort to put the cab onto once removed in order to move it around the shop and also help when welding in the new rockers and floor pans.
Any hints or suggestions from anyone who has "been there, done that" would be super helpful!

lightning4x4
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: cave junction
State: OR

Re: Cab removal

Post by lightning4x4 »

lift from the floor of the cab .if they are as rusty as I think they are ,I suggest using a 4x4or 4x6 to distribute the weight on each side with the 2 post lift. the last cab I did this way was 56 chevy I layed it on its back on 4x6 cart I got from a bread store , just make sure it can support the weight and still roll ,ive also put a cab on its back on 4 furniture dollies that way I could replace the floors . do not lift from the roof that creates a whole mess of problems especially if its rusted . I hope this helps ,im sure there are many other ways other people have done this task ,

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I don't have a lift so I had to use an engine hoist. I used straps from the holes below the gas tank to the front cowl. It is heavier in the front so the lifting point has to be closer to the cowl rather than centered. I did have my hood still attached so that accounted for some of the extra weight in the front.

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kenai Peninsula
State: AK

Post by Prormk »

I used a 4"x6" timber across the top of the door jams. Doors off. Hood off. Fenders off. Balance the 4x6 on top of the engine hoist, until it makes contact with upper door jams, then slowly lift up. Worked great. Just make sure you have enough stroke with the lift, to lift high enough to clear everything and walk it off. And measure timber to find center so you know everything is squared up.

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

Anybody have a guess at what a fully stripped (glass, doors out) would weigh?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

^^^ Fully stripped? I'd say about 200 pounds at most.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

from an earlier thread:
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
tinbasher wrote:while we're on the subject...

does anyone know how much a regular cab, without doors, weighs?
Almost exactly 300#. No doors, no dash, no tank, no glass, no nothing - totally stripped. Weighed on a 1000# balance beam scale.
2 guys can pick up, one each side, but much easier with 3. 1 in the center below the back window, 1 each front corner.

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

Thanks!