Front axle swap

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wthatchsr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: ashland
State: VA

Front axle swap

Post by wthatchsr »

Greetings all. I have a 66 d100 318 la that is in need of having its king pin bushings replace. As such, I was also going to replace all the brake components, wheel bearings & seals, master cylinder and brake lines. But now I see TheRamMan has a disk conversation kit for the Dodge. SO my question is; is replacing the axle with a newer one that has rack & pinon & disk worth the effort, or keep axle and do the conversion, or just rebuild the Drum brakes? If replace axle, does anybody know which years/model I could use?

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Re: Front axle swap

Post by Conrad »

I'm headed towards swapping in the newer solid axle because I'd rather have a stock/modified front end.

I wanted to use the disc swap you refer to so I could stay in the MoPar house, but after reading some interesting material online, I chose to go with Scarebird.

wthatchsr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: ashland
State: VA

Post by wthatchsr »

I did not think you could still get the Scarebird conversation kit. Where are you getting it from?

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

I bought the Scarebird kit + hubs directly from their website. https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=117

The Ram Man kit is nice, just wish there was more information about the components included. I'd be interested in buying just his bracket and then buy NOS pieces myself, but I know he wouldn't make as much money if he did that.