**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
franktiregod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Covington
State: GA

Thanks to a member, my temp and fuel gauge problem is fixed

Post by franktiregod »

I made a post the other day about my fuel and temp gauge going fully to the right.

I was contacted by powerwagon54 who asked me if the sending unit I put in was new. I said yes. He said that's your problem, those units are not good. This was a BRAND NEW fuel sending unit from a parts dealer.

We talked a few minutes and he had me run a test. I did and after that I was convinced he knew what he was talking about.

I ordered a used unit from powerwagon54 @ http://www.61-71dodgesweptlineparts.com/ and it was here tonight when I got home. I installed it and all gauges now work perfectly. (See pictures)

I emailed the people I got the "new" unit as soon as I was told this is the problem. They called the next day and told me they would have their "tech" guy call me Monday as he was off this week. I am hoping to get a credit, refund, or something for this thing. If not, I have a 100 dollar paperweight.

Now I am about to give my OPINION based on my EXPERIENCE. You may or may not agree and thats fine. However, if you are having this problem I would suggest you check the sending unit. Next, I would NOT, let me repeat, WOULD NOT buy a "new" unit. Call or message powerwagon54 and get a used one. The time, money, and aggravation of buying a new one is not worth it. Trust me on that.

In the process of taking the dash apart when I was tracking this problem down, I managed to drop the cluster glass and break it. My gf has an uncle who owns Scott Auto Glass in Conyers, Ga and he cut a new one for me.

Thanks again to http: http://www.61-71dodgesweptlineparts.com/ for all his help. He had to call me twice because my phone *#%^ off on us in the middle of our conversation. If you have questions, I have to say he knows these trucks. He certainly earned my trust.
Attachments
65.jpg
66.jpg
67.jpg
68.jpg
70.jpg
71.jpg
69.jpg
Im memory, Sgt Franklin Stephens Jr
6-16-1986 12-5-2008
Ride it like you stole it among the stars

BigJimG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flint
State: MI

Re: Thanks to a member, my temp and fuel gauge problem is fi

Post by BigJimG »

What was the final issue? GM sending unit used (0-90 ohms) instead of Chrysler/Fomoco (73-10 ohms)? Just a poorly designed unit where the sending unit was failed out of the box? Inquiring minds, who will soon be in the market for a replacement fuel sender/pickup themselves, want to know.
'63 D100
Build Link: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40000

franktiregod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by franktiregod »

I was told the only reproductions available are poorly made and the way the wiring inside is flawed.

If you need one and yours is beyond reuse I would buy a good used one.
6-16-1986 12-5-2008

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There is a company that will rebuild the original and does high quality work. About a hundred bucks. Others here have had it done, I don't know the co name.

franktiregod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by franktiregod »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:There is a company that will rebuild the original and does high quality work. About a hundred bucks. Others here have had it done, I don't know the co name.
Thanks for that info. My original was rusted beyond repair, I think. It was a mess. I just hope I am done with them for a while but I cant thank you enough for the info and sending unit.
6-16-1986 12-5-2008

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I have a 75 W600 with an in-cab tank. Either my sending unit is bad or my float has a hole in it. I haven't removed to investigate.

How different are the sending units from the Sweptline in-cab tanks vs the Lifestyle in-cab tanks? I suspect only the float arm is different.

I have been hesitant to order a new one, simply because parts "suppliers" often make mistakes with pre-94 Dodge, plus as with the OP's new sender, quality may not be there.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

franktiregod wrote: Thanks again to http: http://www.61-71dodgesweptlineparts.com/ for all his help.
I have to say he knows these trucks. He certainly earned my trust.
Bud has helped me and many others on this site for a long long time. :Thumbsup

John

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Hobcobble wrote:
franktiregod wrote: Thanks again to http: http://www.61-71dodgesweptlineparts.com/ for all his help.
I have to say he knows these trucks. He certainly earned my trust.
Bud has helped me and many others on this site for a long long time. :Thumbsup

John
Ditto! :Thumbsup :Thumbsup :Thumbsup :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

franktiregod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by franktiregod »

712edf wrote:I have a 75 W600 with an in-cab tank. Either my sending unit is bad or my float has a hole in it. I haven't removed to investigate.

How different are the sending units from the Sweptline in-cab tanks vs the Lifestyle in-cab tanks? I suspect only the float arm is different.

I have been hesitant to order a new one, simply because parts "suppliers" often make mistakes with pre-94 Dodge, plus as with the OP's new sender, quality may not be there.

Bucky

If your question hasnt been answered already send him a PM. Good luck
6-16-1986 12-5-2008