Wiper arm removal issue

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
crashresq21
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lincoln
State: RI
Location: Manville RI (no seriously, its a village. The day they named the place was a slow day mentally.)

Wiper arm removal issue

Post by crashresq21 »

So I removed my wipers to take the cowling off, cleaning out the dumpster of 40 year old crap in the trough. Is there a trick to put them back on? Here's my issue:
1)Swing arm portion had the tension strength of Stallone in Over The Top. Bear to flex to install AND turn the nut.

2) The nuts (both) built into the arms won't catch the threads and I fear I might have stripped one of the studs.

Are there other EASIER and less profanity laced options to replace them?

Thoughts?
"Dealing with me is like playing chess with Charlie Manson. 99% of the time you're like 'this guy is on his game', and then there's the one time I shove a pawn up my @#% and dance around"

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: colorado springs
State: CO

Re: Wiper arm removal issue

Post by ozzie »

the way I did it on my 69W200 was, I lined up the arm over the spline, and took a small hammer and tapped it down until it grabbed onto the spline, and then got a socket on the nut and tightened down. didn't have a problem doing it that way. just make sure you are lined up.
ozzie

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Place the arm over the threaded portion. Grasping the arm in the palm of your hand use the splined portion to pry against slightly. Your thumb will be against the nut pushing down while you pull up on the arm to flatten it out. This should give enough to start the nut. Don't hulk out or you'll have a separate arm and nut. You giggle it back and forth as you tighten.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

crashresq21
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lincoln
State: RI
Location: Manville RI (no seriously, its a village. The day they named the place was a slow day mentally.)

Post by crashresq21 »

MadMC63 wrote:Place the arm over the threaded portion. Grasping the arm in the palm of your hand use the splined portion to pry against slightly. Your thumb will be against the nut pushing down while you pull up on the arm to flatten it out. This should give enough to start the nut. Don't hulk out or you'll have a separate arm and nut. You giggle it back and forth as you tighten.
"Hulked out" happened awhile ago. Both are officially separate from the arms. I checked the nut on the shaft, seems to not want to catch, threads FUBAR?
"Dealing with me is like playing chess with Charlie Manson. 99% of the time you're like 'this guy is on his game', and then there's the one time I shove a pawn up my @#% and dance around"

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Check the end of the threads on the stud and make sure they're ok and if they are put the nut on the stud and push down slightly while turning the nut backwards. If the nut isn't badly damaged you will feel it drop slightly when the treads match up and then you can try screwing the nut in place. If that doesn't work you will need to use a bottom tap on the nut and a die on the stud.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?